oil on fins

docc

It needs cleaning?

That's the method I went with!

Now to see how long it stays clean . . .

I thought I remembered an O-ring or something for oil to rise to the rocker box.

(Trying to delay that Big Teardown until 160.000  km . . .) :luigi:

... (Trying to delay that Big Teardown until 160.000  km . . .) :luigi:

Don't fix it until it's broken :grin: 

It's a pity that we can't make such great sentences in German.

Hubert

... what might also answer the other question further above: don't retorque the heads

"Sie mit es durcheinander, warum?" :whistle:

I was thinking of doing the heads, rear engine leak, clutch and flywheel all at 100,000 miles. If I can tolerate the oil leak that long. The clutch sounds like a Steampunk Drum Band. :rasta:

The clutch sounds like a Steampunk Drum Band. :rasta:

I love letting Harley riders hear the symphony that ushers from my clutch. Nothing better than watching them look down in concern trying to locate what broke just as I happened to pull up. Priceless, every single time.

Docc,

there are o-rings under the rocker arm assys. that need replacing. Very easy to do. You have a parts catalogue that shows them ?

So, I see the #16 O-rings (one per head) and the #21 O-rings (4 per head). The #16 was the one I was thinking could give a drizzle like this (?)

I suppose I'll do them all in my upcoming 100,000 mile refresh. You know, the one I think I ought to do regardless of whether it really needs it.

. . . polish and balance the rods, balance the pistons , yadda-yadda . . .

warum, warum, warum??? :blink:

Docc,

there are o-rings under the rocker arm assys. that need replacing. Very easy to do. You have a parts catalogue that shows them ?

So, I see the #16 O-rings (one per head) and the #21 O-rings (4 per head). The #16 was the one I was thinking could give a drizzle like this (?)

I suppose I'll do them all in my upcoming 100,000 mile refresh. You know, the one I think I ought to do regardless of whether it really needs it.

. . . polish and balance the rods, balance the pistons , yadda-yadda . . .

warum, warum, warum??? :blink:

You'll want to try to keep that cleaned off unit you have a chance to fix the leak.  Mine leaked there in the past and the PO didn't clean it off.  It's "cooked" on and I've tried everything but sandpaper to get it off.  Someone suggested oven cleaner but I'm afraid that might discolor the aluminum.

... (Trying to delay that Big Teardown until 160.000  km . . .) :luigi:

Don't fix it until it's broken :grin:

It's a pity that we can't make such great sentences in German.

Hubert

... what might also answer the other question further above: don't retorque the heads

Just curious about the "don't retorque the heads" comment. Why not? 

Ken

In my opinion it's just an unnecessary risk of stripping one of the long anchor bolts.
Retorque them after the first 50 miles or so, after the engine was well warmed up and all parts have settled, and that's it. I never had a problem with leaking head or cylinder seals.
On the other hand: I'm a firm believer in Hylomar. May be that this helps a bit...

I would be remiss to retorque the heads now, after so many miles, unless I had removed them for the valves and guides.

Hubert, Hylomar where? (Not on the head gasket!?)

No, not on the gaskets. Only at the O-rings. Used it on old 2-stroke engines instead of the head gasket. Worked.

After some years these rings might have lost all the elasticity they once had. In case they start to let the oil through they're quickly replaced anyway. Just remove the rocker bed and swap them. No new gaskets, no retorquing.