oil on fins

docc

docc

prior to touching the head fixing nuts, check the following:

the oil feeding connection on the inner side of the head - remove the fuel tank to get there

the plug in the head that allows access to the inner stud - just remove the valve cover. There is an o-ring underneath the 10 mm allen plug

When the head bolts are not loosened, the o-rings underneath the rocker arm brackets never get leaky.

• 4 years later...

So, I was given the proper O-rings to perform this task. They are simply under a plug beneath the valve cover, no need to disturb the rocker assembly or the head bolts..

I absolutely could not get that 10mm hex-drive plug loose. Out came the Gedore 500 kg machinist's hammer and the impact tool. No budge. I quit before tearing it up.

Perhaps with the tank off, I could apply heat and try again . . .

• Like 1

So, I was given the proper O-rings to perform this task. They are simply under a plug beneath the valve cover, no need to disturb the rocker assembly or the head bolts..

I absolutely could not get that 10mm hex-drive plug loose. Out came the Gedore 500 kg machinist's hammer and the impact tool. No budge. I quit before tearing it up.

Perhaps with the tank off, I could apply heat and try again . . .

Mine were tight enough that I used a 1/2-3/8 adapter and a 24" 1/2 breaker bar. (because that's the one that was at hand)

All components Snap-On, and the Allen key was inspected for a good tip. It came right off then with no drama. 

• Like 1