New V11 Owner - Rosso Mandello?

captainkcorb

I got my V11 last week and all I can say is what a blast to drive. It's runs and sounds great.

After going through the section on identifying your model of V11, the serial number translation, and the pictures, everything seems to say it's a 2001; the 10th digit is a 1, the fork sliders are 40mm, the instruments Veglia, no front crossover, etc. It's registered as a 2001 by the way.

My bike is a repaint but other than that it appears to match the Rosso Mandello picture I found there. That's the only one with the small fairing, carbon fiber silencers, and the black fork tubes. Also, my serial number has an extra character (an M) before the described six digit serial number. I've put in a couple of pictures and would appreciate any input from those with more MG experience than I.

Other questions relate to the dash board (the idiot lights don't match the operator's manual reprint that came with the bike) and the forks (I'm pretty sure they're Marzocchi from the stylized 'M' on the lower inside of the left leg) as they don't match the manual's description for damping control.

What I know about the idiot lights is that the top center flashes with either turnsignal, the top right is Neutral, the top left is for High Beam and the bottom center is for Low Gas. Neither of the two middle center lights have illuminated.

Thanks in advance,

Brock

IMG_2316_zpsf5f2d974.jpg

IMG_2320_zps92273dd5.jpg

IMG_2344_zps4975d6ef.jpg

IMG_2345_zpsbe3d4a3a.jpg

Hello and welcome, it looks like a repainted Rosso Mandello as the engine and the forks are black, standard 2001 bikes had silver engine and forks, the wheels should be graphite, the Mandello also had the carbon fibre clock surround, the tank should be red, the silencers look like Mistrals

Definitely an early warning light panel. The two center lights are (top to bottom): oil pressure and battery (charging).

Those are worth investigating their absence. They do not light when the ignition is first turned on?

(The "M" in the serial number designates it was built in Mandello as all the V11).

Assessing how your clutch rattles most (engaged or disengaged) may give a clue to whether it is standard twin plate or Rosso Mandello single plate.

Thanks for the input and the link gents. I tried the link with my VIN and it came back with:

V11 SPORT CAN ROSSO MANDELLO (ANNULL)

On the other hand, it rattles greatly with the clutch engaged (not pulled in) in neutral, indicating a twin plate dry clutch to me. I'm going to consider it a Rosso Mandello based on the black forks, carbon fibre pipes and instrument panel, and the VIN response.

The oil warning light does come on at startup (and happily goes out immediately) and I'm going to pull the panel and hopefully find the charge indicator is just a bad bulb. I've put maybe three hours running on it with multiple startups and the battery doesn't seem to be flagging. The previous owner told me the battery will probably need replacing in the spring as it's got several years on it.

The red rocker covers are quite striking but I'll leave them that way for now. As I live in a predominantly Italian neighbourhood maybe I'll dub the bike a 'Testa Rossa' for the fans. :-) I'm used to a fairly conservative ride (2000 BMW RT) and each time I've had this bike out I've been accosted by either a Roman septuaginarian with a story of the old days back home and his love for the Moto Guzzis he remembers, or by enthusiastic young teens. Now to figure out how to morph this into attention from the fairer sex.

Cheers, (or maybe that should be Ciao)

Brock

Interesting, my assumption on the noise is based on my BMW which is a single plate dry clutch and totally silent with the lever out (or in for that matter). Also on seeing mutiplate dry clutch setups at the track, which all seem to rattle like stoats with the clutch lever out and quiet when it's pulled in.

Are there any external (viewable) differences between the two clutch types? I'm curious but don't want to tear it apart to satisfy the cat.

B

That's a real shame to repaint a Rosso Mandello.Maybe one of the prettiest paint jobs Ive ever seen on a motorcycle. :homer: 

• 2 weeks later...

It worked out well here with the seller literally just miles away. He'd advertised for a trade for an older biker on the CVMG forum and we did a swap for my 73 Triumph Daytona. It was a real gem so hopefully we're both happy.

• 2 weeks later...