70 Miles of Smiles now "Big Problems"

Arkansas Rider

Motorcycle Shippers unloaded my first V11 last Friday. This was the first time I have ever seen a V11 in person.   Everything looked near perfect ( it is 12 years old).  Started right up.   My, what a nice sound.  I have been busy (and it was very new to me) so I would take short spins and come back home check things over and admire the good looks of the 2002 V11 LeMans. I got off work early today and I noticed a spot of oil under the left fork. I wiped it clean and headed out.  I rode about three miles and I stopped to check to see if the oil come back. Fork oil everywhere.....I mopped it up all I could;  it was on the wheel, rotor and had blown back on the engine.  Turned around and slowly made it home.  

I wonder if the trip from Santa Fe to Arkansas with the forks compressed by the straps damaged the seals?  Unless some of you have a suggestion (I hope) I guess I will have to 

completely disassemble the forks and miss this wonderful riding weather.

It may be the crush washer on the bottom of the fork.  If so you'll need to remove the fork, drain the oil, remove the bolt holding the crush washer and replace the washer with a new one.  I just had to do this on my California Vintage.

You are going to be a very unhappy Guzzi owner if you think a leaking fork seal is a "big problem" believe me.

Try using a seal mate before you pull the fork apart, it may have just rolled the seal during transport.

Ciao