Bar end mirrors

Jan Hubert

Hello guys. I'm riding my bike without mirrors since those crappy FAR's won't hold their position anymore. But it doesn't feel very safe to be honest. So i'm thinking of bar end mirrors to replace the FAR's. Does anyone have any experiences? Having the original clip-ons fitted it looks to me that not all models are suitable. What's your opinion on the Rizoma Spy-R models? Suggestions on gettin' the original mirrors back in shape are also welcome. Regards, Jan

As the bar-end style didn't appeal to me, I went with a set of Harley mirrors.   Now granted this of for '02 V11 Sport LeMans, but they bolted right onto the faring in place of the originals and they've been there ever since.  I think I did the swap in 2004 or 2005.  

As the bar-end style didn't appeal to me, I went with a set of Harley mirrors.   Now granted this of for '02 V11 Sport LeMans, but they bolted right onto the faring in place of the originals and they've been there ever since.  I think I did the swap in 2004 or 2005.  

Nice to meet you and thanks for the information. Do you have a picture/type/model or part number so i can have a closer look? Having it fitted on the original position sounds good to me. Thanks!

CRG - had one on my bevel Ducati and it was brilliant. Quality piece of kit at a reasonable price

Thanks for your recommendation. This is one off the companies i came across as there are many. My guess is, you've never seen one attached on a 1100 sport?

I would think them very uncommon on an 1100 Sport because of the faring mounted mirrors. I just looked through the first hundred or so google images and only saw one 1100 Sport with bar end mirrors and those were Napoleans.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the Napoleon style on my Ducati Sport 1000 (came stock) and on my BMW R100CS (added) - liked them a lot for visibility, looks, and adjustability.  I was just trying to fit a pair on the Scura. However, when I removed the bar-end weights, I found that the inside of the bars are threaded and that the rubber bushing of the Napoleons would not fit.  Even if it did fit, compressing a rubber bushing into threads would seem to make it very difficult to remove later.

Has someone else solved this puzzle? Maybe the threads are some kind of insert that can be removed - if so, I'd appreciate a tip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Napoleons mounted. I used the wire wheel on my bench grinder to shave the inner bushing down to size to fit in the bars - also had to grind down the flange on the compression nut to get it to fit.  Here are two pictures with both mirrors for comparison purposes. 

stock v nap ft.jpg

stock v nap rr.jpg

Seeing it with all four mirrors on made me think of this...

vespa w mirrors.jpg

• 2 months later...

So when you did the install did you have to remove the old insert?  I am looking at getting a set of bar end mirrors and pulled my bar end apart and removed the threaded weight but then what?  If you removed the old insert do you have any tips on removing it?