Bar end mirrors

Jan Hubert

Early clip-ons have a one piece bar-end weight that would have to be removed to insert the typical "expanding dogs" type of mirror anchor. Instead, I had mine machined to fit the CRG clamp ($$).

Later V11 clip-ons (from 2002 LeMans) have a multi-piece weight system that I suspect would have to be removed to use the sliding-dog inserted-anchor common to most bar-end mirror systems.

I wonder what the V11 handlebar bikes use in the ends of their bars (Ballabio, Café Sport, etc)?

So when you did the install did you have to remove the old insert?  I am looking at getting a set of bar end mirrors and pulled my bar end apart and removed the threaded weight but then what?  If you removed the old insert do you have any tips on removing it?

I removed the stock insert (the weight), but did not remove or modify the threads inside the bar ends. There's some more discussion and detail about the Napoleon mirrors in Brand New Scura, especially post #40. Since the Napoleons have rubber inserts, they conformed to the threads and I assume that I will be able to revert to stock if I ever want to.

I guess that mirrors with metal inserts are even more difficult to install. I don't know if the threads inside bars are removable.

So Scud, if I understand it correctly you pulled the stock ends and removed the screw in weight.  I understand that you also ground down the edges of the washer and rubber stopper but what about the original mounting stud that the stock bar end screwed into?  If need be I can take pics to show what I am talking about?  I am thinking, as doc said, that it needs to be removed for me to mount new bar end mirrors.

Doh, I just pulled it apart removing the bar end weight and gave the stem a pull and it slid right out.  Looks like its going to take some serious trimming to get the new stuff down to size.  

Funny, while you were doing that, I raided the "box of stuff that fell off" and took this picture.

IMG_2866.jpg

So yeah - everything comes out. Now you just have to trim your new parts down to size so they will slide by the threads that remain in the bar-ends. I had to reduce the rubber compression fittings on the Napoleons so much that I worried if they would hold. But they are holding extremely well.

Do you have your new mirrors already? What did you decide on?

Mirrors are on the way.  They are similar to the Napoleons but a bit different.  I wanted a set of round ones until I saw a sweet Ducati with the oval / rectangular type mirrors at Revival Cycles this past weekend.   

Headed my way - http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOTORBIKE-BAR-END-REARVIEW-MIRRORS-7-8-PAIR-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-BLACK-/171246269651?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27df12b4d3&vxp=mtr

I wonder what the V11 handlebar bikes use in the ends of their bars (Ballabio, Café Sport, etc)?

Well I've just removed the perfectly functional Aprilia mirrors off mine and replaced with standard bolt on bar-enders.

I've used longer 60mm cap heads so as to attach them on the end of the weights.

Got my bar ends installed on Friday and I gotta say I really like em a lot more than the stock lollipops.  The stockers vibrated bad at speed and I could barely see what was behind me.  The bar ends have taken a bit of finagling to get them tight but I think I get em set now.  Ill post up pics in a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I decided not to buy these carbon pieces from Japan and keep the original parts. Approximate 330 euro's might be worth it but it's to much for me now. Therefore i experimented with the original mirrors.

The problem is that most plastics do expand over the years resulting in less grip on the metal knob of the stem. Fixing this is not easy, since you need adjusting mirrors over at least two axis. Besides, there is not much space nor material to attach whatever. Find enclosed some pictures from the final solution, costing me less than 20 euro's. That rubber ring is needed for three reasons: [a] to be sure the strap (Wolfcraft #2917.000) will be pressed to the most outer diametre and it will press to the plastic housing only, not to the metal knob of the stem (that wouldn't work as you can imagine) and [c] adds friction in the rotating movement.

As you can see, the rubber slipcover still fits perfectly around the new situation. Please notice that the mirrors are in an upside-down position. This is to have them horizontal on the bike. I think its looks great and fits to the low profile of my bike. All feels solid now and readjusting my mirrors in a usable postion is acceptable. If you dont like this upside-down position, the stem needs some minor bending by forcing it the hard way (eg in a vice). Swapping left to right vice versa doesn't work btw, things get only worse. You'll find bigger pictures in my folder in the gallery.