Brand-new Scura

Scud

After many years of admiring Guzzi’s I finally got one last week. I dropped by the local dealer to take another peek at the options, where a like new (185 mile) V11 Sport Scura made it impossible to look at anything else (seriously, it was like there was only one bike on the showroom floor). After a hasty and unceremonious divorce from my KTM 950 Adventure, I brought the Scura home. Up to that point, I think it essentially served as art for a collector. I’m going to ride it.

I’ve enjoyed threads on other forums where people document what they do to a bike from the start. So I thought I’d borrow that idea. While I love the look of the stock Scura, the forecast calls for more darkness.

The purposes of this thread are to:

1. Document my personalization of the bike, including making it Scura-er. (if Scura = dark in Italian then Scura-er = darker)
  2. Seek advice from the members of this forum as needed.
  3. Share issues that come from putting a brand new bike on the road after 12 years of sitting.
  4. Seek the benefit of others’ hindsight and experience, especially anyone who’s had a Scura for a while. If you had a brand new Scura, what would you do (or not do) to it?

IMG_2278.jpg

• Like 1

Did someone say...clutch?

You posted on Wildguzzi re. clutch isssue? I replied re. there.

Congratulations! Obviously you are a man of great discernment, Scura is a lovely bike & the best looking of all the V11Sport variants...in my opinion...hey, I have one myself.

oh. & suspension...

KB :sun:

• Like 2

Tires are Bridgestone Battlax. I’m told those were original equipment. They look in great shape.

I don’t know how long it was listed, but not long. The Scura siren-song was luring me to her - so I can’t remember everything and I cannot be held accountable for my actions.

What a cool experience – to put the break-in miles on a 12-year-old bike. I even took off the license plate – partly to play “new bike” but mostly because the tags expired in 2007 and I didn’t feel like getting pulled over. 

Totally love the bike, but alert to what could go wrong post-hibernation (not a good idea to flog a hungry black bear...). As it turned out, the caution was well placed. Approaching a stop I downshifted but there was no engine braking – pulled in the clutch and it was idling over 4,000 RPM. The problem was the old white grease on the throttle linkage had gotten so sticky that the return spring couldn’t do its job. Fortunately, this happened across the street from an auto parts store. After a little cleaner and lube all is good – potentially dangerous situation though.

Searched for more problems, but couldn’t find any. Feeling a little bolder. Put another 400 miles on it and dropped it off for break-in service. Requested an extra-thorough inspection.

I'm currently away on business and hoping to retrieve it on Saturday. Eager to do some joy-riding – but have to leave again Sunday on business.

Yes, I posted there re. clutch. Thanks. Then I found this forum.

Tires are Bridgestone Battlax. I’m told those were original equipment. They look in great shape.

I don’t know how long it was listed, but not long. The Scura siren-song was luring me to her - so I can’t remember everything and I cannot be held accountable for my actions.

What a cool experience – to put the break-in miles on a 12-year-old bike. I even took off the license plate – partly to play “new bike” but mostly because the tags expired in 2007 and I didn’t feel like getting pulled over. 

Totally love the bike, but alert to what could go wrong post-hibernation (not a good idea to flog a hungry black bear...). As it turned out, the caution was well placed. Approaching a stop I downshifted but there was no engine braking – pulled in the clutch and it was idling over 4,000 RPM. The problem was the old white grease on the throttle linkage had gotten so sticky that the return spring couldn’t do its job. Fortunately, this happened across the street from an auto parts store. After a little cleaner and lube all is good – potentially dangerous situation though.

Searched for more problems, but couldn’t find any. Feeling a little bolder. Put another 400 miles on it and dropped it off for break-in service. Requested an extra-thorough inspection.

I'm currently away on business and hoping to retrieve it on Saturday. Eager to do some joy-riding – but have to leave again Sunday on business.

Good on ya Scud.................. enjoy, that's the type of Guzzi that doesn't come around to often. Now if I could just get a call from someone with a Rosso Mandello with twice that mileage LOL.

Cheers,

Welcome in the club of darkness, Scud  :ninja:  :ninja:

Think you are tuned in ref. clutch hiccups, bubbling engine paint et al, but beside that it's a fan-fooking-tastic great bike. Not that I'm biased…

If you want it 'scura-er' then repaint the pork chops, did it on mine and it's as black as it can be now.

556784_10150873416915798_1476089377_n.jp

Happy riding!

Søren 

• Like 2

Tyres: Those are BT020's? They'll be 12 years old now & weren't the greatest things when new.

Bike handles nicer on a 170 rear rather than stock 180.

Not sure earliest a flywheel popped, but I changed mine at 20k miles when it was working fine - found no visible damage or undue wear on it.

Scura Ohlins are v softfly sprung. I couldn't get decent sag. I'm about 200lb w gear, & changed to stiffer springs back & front - made a hell of a difference for me. As I recall, stock springing is for rider around 150-160lb.

I raised forks slightly in the clamps to get a bit more weight over the front: helped keep it in corners.

Check things are greased where they should be, factory didn't always have grease to hand during assembly...check particularly rear drive hub outer needle bearing.

Worth changing hydraulic fluids? Also, fork seals tend to go, especially when stood - might be worth getting some in.

Pawl arm spring (inside shifter plate) breaks. There's loads of info here if you try search. Again, might be worth ordering one in as a spare.

There was an issue w rear wheel bearing spacers, knocking out bearings in v short order. My spacer was too short - I think it distorted when I torqued up axle, (it's made from an old cornflakes box). I made one out of heavier tube, to correct length & it's been fine since. MG specify torque for rear axle 120Nm (housing side). I don't understand why they spec side to measure at, can only think there must be some difference to result due to friction thru the assembly, etc. Anyhow I never took any notice & my spacer collapsed, since I put in a new spacer I still take no notice, just nip it up good & tight & haven't had a problem. 

Although MG give you a cover to remove/replace oil filter w/o removing sump, I've always dropped sump to do it as do many others. You can get better purchase on the filter to ensure it is tight, & clean out the tray. Some people add a hose clamp to prevent filter backing off.

Glad you're liking the bike. They're a lovely, involving ride - last of the hairy-arsed Guzzis!!!

:thumbsup:

Yup what Baldini says.

Flush fluids

Change tires

Lube front rear bearings

Lube drive shaft

The Ohlins fork seals were replaced under warranty for leaking,too late to make a claim,but if they do leak a good time to re-spring and change fluid

Order a pawl arm and spring,if the shifting gets notchy or stuck,time to change.Not a big deal.

The clutch is a bigger question.Some of the earlier ones blew up,many are trouble free.Changing it requires pulling motor or transmission plus parts.I would just ride it and not worry,when it's time to change the friction plates you could do the conversion.

Enjoy,a really sweet ride and not many out there,will be a classic!

Yes, I posted there re. clutch. Thanks. Then I found this forum.

You'll NEVER go back the Wildguzzi after spending time here.This is THE place for V11 Sports.....

• Like 1

Congratulations. A Guzzi dealer can even look up (Piaggio database) with the VIN the exact day, when your Scura was produced in Madello del Lario.

Clutch - when it now is possible, I would enjoy the original lightweight (single plate) clutch. Mine was done after 30.000 km. The mechanic said that any additional start could have been fatal… A Scura should have the “single disc feel” (revs up happily, clutch lever is light, sound is different). If it is not possible to change the single disc clutch to a new one (parts not expensive) always latest after each 30.000 km, then it means modification to the standard double disc clutch (parts expensive). I have understood that there really aren’t possibilities to reduce the weight of a double disc clutch so much, that the “feel” would change (revs up a bit differently, clutch lever is hard to pull, sound is “normal Guzzi clutch”).

Springs - I was told that the original springs at front are 08701-90 (9 N/mm). I have now the 09701-10 (10 N/mm) sprigs installed (strongest available), and I use 8 mm (8 turns out of 15) spring preload. Rear shock has the original spring 1091-26/85 (85 N/mm) which is OK for me when I ride alone with 16,5 mm spring preload. I weigh with gear 210 lb.

• Like 1

Wow - thanks everyone for all the great ideas, advice, and experience so far. 

I'm definitely going to do all the fluids and lubes ASAP. I'll also start accumulating the parts for the expected failures (clutch, spring, etc.).

I think most of my cosmetic mods will be bolt-ons - so the bike could be put back close to stock if I want to. But I also have plans to paint a few stock parts.  I didn't care for the red pork chops at first glance - but the've started grow on me.

I'll check other threads re what everyone likes for tires.

Tyres: Those are BT020's? They'll be 12 years old now & weren't the greatest things when new.

Bike handles nicer on a 170 rear rather than stock 180.

Not sure earliest a flywheel popped, but I changed mine at 20k miles when it was working fine - found no visible damage or undue wear on it.

Check things are greased where they should be, factory didn't always have grease to hand during assembly...check particularly rear drive hub outer needle bearing.

Worth changing hydraulic fluids? Also, fork seals tend to go, especially when stood - might be worth getting some in.

Pawl arm spring (inside shifter plate) breaks. There's loads of info here if you try search. Again, might be worth ordering one in as a spare.

Glad you're liking the bike. They're a lovely, involving ride - last of the hairy-arsed Guzzis!!!

:thumbsup:

What Keith says…