Brand-new Scura

Scud

Great music you guys! I don't wear headphones while riding a motorcycle, but I played the sh!# out of Hang On St. Christopher (which refers to California and Nevada locations) many years ago in my 1965 Mustang. "Do a hundred on the grapevine..." FYI, "the Grapevine" is a mountain pass North of Los Angeles, where the Mustang has done the ton while playing that song - because, really, how can you not go 100 when you're on the same road and the song says to?  Statute of limitations... OK to admit it now.  But this is also why I should not listen to music while riding.

Öhlins are staying blonde. Team Sverige.   :sun: 

• 1 month later...

Update on my timing cover leak. As it turns out, all I needed to do was re-torque the bolts. Funny that of all the bolt heads I darkened, I didn't do the timing cover. The two bolts nearest the leak came out far too easily. When re-torqued, the leak totally stopped. I figured it out two weeks ago and I just stress-tested it this week on a 1,000 mile trip - not even a little weeping.

That's great news for me - and further evidence that these bikes can sit for long periods of time without dire consequences.

Ironically, I transversed the Tejon pass today - also known as the Grapevine as referenced in the above post. The Grapevine is part of I-5, and I avoided the freeways by taking all the twisty two-lane mountain passes the long way over the mountains, instead of the pass, which is the shortest, lowest elevation way.

A bit over 4,800 now. And the engine paint is starting to bubble all over - not just in a few spots anymore.

• Like 1

Like death and taxes eventually our 02' bikes get it. Mine isn't as pristine as yours but I've found BBQ grill paint at the hardware store that is real close and works for touch up. I will try and get a brand for you when I'm in the garage.

A bit over 4,800 now. And the engine paint is starting to bubble all over - not just in a few spots anymore.

Welcome in the club… Had mine in twice for re-painting (warranty). I still see red pork chops, Scud, thought you were going all in on the dark/Scura side?? 

Welcome in the club… Had mine in twice for re-painting (warranty). I still see red pork chops, Scud, thought you were going all in on the dark/Scura side?? 

Good catch. I didn't black out everything possible. The more I darkened the smaller parts on the bike, the more I liked how the red porkchops stand out. I'm pretty fond of the gold forks too. 

I might still darken a few more bits - like the exhaust tips.  But It's dark enough now to draw the light out of a picture...  :ninja:

IMG_2934.jpg

• Like 2

Scud if you're interested the "Rustoleum High Heat" flat black is good enough to touch up. I'm Going to try and paint my replacement timing cover which is only available in silver I guess.

Don't be sad Docc.  It's just about matching.  If one has a black engine case, a black timing cover looks correct. Silver cases... go with a silver cover. Personally, I think the same for the alternator cover, but on some bikes they look sweet with an accent color - like red.

Czakky - I've noticed that a lot of people use the Harley crinkle paint to match the 2002 engine paint. I already picked up a can of that, but haven't tried it yet. I'll probably let it get a lot worse, then strip it and paint the whole case at once. I can't see it while I'm riding, and it is not disgusting yet. I wish I had taken a before and after pic of the engine.  That trip to San Jose really changed it.  I can't imagine how upset all the buyers of new bikes must have been in 2002. I saw MSRP for a Scura was US$14,000.  You drop that kind of money on a new bike and you assume the paint will last a few thousand miles...

Yeah, I used the wrinkled HD paint on mine when I bought the bike in 2004.  Looked just fine standing next to it, and you couldn't see the difference unless you got right up on it.  I knocked down the worst of the bubbling with a wire brush, feathered the edges with 600-grit, degreased it and applied the paint with the motor in situ with some careful masking. It still looked fine when I sold it last April.  I recall it had some specific instructions to get it to do it's wrinkle thing, but it wasn't hard or overly sensitive to my ham-fisted and impatient methods.

• 7 months later...

I am hoping to receive a street-legal black license plate. In the 1960s, California plates were black with yellow lettering. Our DMV recently made "legacy" plates available and I got my application in on time - and the website has changed from "Applications Received" to "Approved Applications". Hopefully, we will see SCURA or MG SCURA on the back soon.

A black plate V11! Who'da thunk it? :ninja:

Well, lest anyone ever accuse government of being inefficient... I got my license plate today. It took less than a year. That's pretty fast if you think about it, because they have to get metal, and make it into a shape, and use two colors of paint.

IMG_4009.jpg

This makes we want to darken some more stuff...  :ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:

• Like 3

Add your bike to the Scura register, we like to keep a record of whats where.

You already added me - but I went back and edited my post, because I noticed that it had a dead photo-link. (used my current favorite picture)  :pic:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6728&&p=200807&page=9