Brand-new Scura

Scud

I chickened out replacing my tensioner last time I had the timing cover off. I did get myself a set of plumbers sockets that you could put a crescent wrench on. They would/will fit over the crankshaft.

Sorry that's all I can offer.

Moan . . . "plumber's tools" to work on our Guzzis . . . and, now, it's all over the internet. :huh:

Actually, that's the ticket.  :grin:

:nopic:

I chickened out replacing my tensioner last time I had the timing cover off. I did get myself a set of plumbers sockets that you could put a crescent wrench on. They would/will fit over the crankshaft.

Sorry that's all I can offer.

That's called "restraint" now. Congratulations on your maturity and judgment. 

I can't find a torque spec for that nut, but it's quite thin, so it can't be designed to take much - and it's held in place by the collar - then the nut on the alternator squeezes it all together with 80Nm.

I got motivated and zipped out to Lowe's to buy a set of those plumber sockets. The size was not exactly right, but I tried anyway - and just ended up deforming the tool without moving the nut. I guess this is going to take a few trips to tool stores.  :luigi:

Sort of surprised that Moto Guzzi missed the opportunity to make this a "special tool."

At least I now have tools to remove tub and shower valves -  a job I have always paid someone else to do. 

edit:  I found a 32mm socket with over 100mm of clearance. Part number GP 2032XMD

http://www.gpsocket.com/products/product.phtml/2032XMD/

Hopefully that will be here when I get home from my next trip.

I got motivated and zipped out to Lowe's to buy a set of those plumber sockets. The size was not exactly right, but I tried anyway - and just ended up deforming the tool without moving the nut. I guess this is going to take a few trips to tool stores.  :luigi:

Sort of surprised that Moto Guzzi missed the opportunity to make this a "special tool."

At least I now have tools to remove tub and shower valves -  a job I have always paid someone else to do. 

That is why I mentioned that they are weak lol. That is the main reason I have never used them doing plumbing lol. But I tend to mostly do very old plumbing say from the mid 50's on back as nobody really seems to know a darn thing about it today lol. Back to the stamped sockets lol. That is why I get a socket of the correct size needed and modify them. I had a few I made up years ago but gave away from lack of use but what I did was use a hack saw to cut the back of the deep well socket off where the driver would go and cut and fit a piece of pipe that would be needed at the correct length and then simply weld them together. :) You can make any depth of a socket you need doing this. And I am positive with all of the great work I have seen on this forum it would be no big deal.

While we are on the semi subject of plumbing I will talk about Electric water heaters lol. If you have to replace the heating element in one do not waste your time with those cheesy stamped wrenches. Spend the funds on the 1/2 Dr Deep socket that is needed. Believe me you will be very thankful.

Bad advice, sorry about that...

Not really. People *have* used them successfully for that job. Probably with a rattle gun..don't remember, but I have read it on WG. What have I used? Don't remember that either.  :oldgit: No doubt made something. I give all the "special tools" I make to my friend Andy who tries to make money working on Guzzis. :rolleyes: Whenever I need a special tool, I just go get it.

I got motivated and zipped out to Lowe's to buy a set of those plumber sockets.

You shoulda gotten the proper Harbor Freight sockets.. (Guzzi content)  :grin: and.. that's what I remember reading on WG.

I think I remember K_Roy using a 3/4" drive socket with a couple flats ground into it so he could use a crescent. Something like that anyway....

yeah, that, too.

Well, I take some comfort knowing that I'm not alone in trying to solve this puzzle. Maybe I should have made this a new topic. I'm going to return those cheap sockets to Lowe's and re-spend that money on a proper, extra-deep socket. 

By the time I'm done, I'll have a nice set of special tools available for loan to members as needed. Andy York has asked me to keep his spare transmission hub wrench here in CA for that purpose (balance of transmission-tools headed back to him now). West-coast loaner kit to include:  Clutch alignment tool, starter ring locking tool, clutch hub wrench and special socket, and soon, a deep impact socket for the current challenge.

Back to psychology... on one hand, we have self-restraint to stop us from getting into problematic situations, and on the other we have perseverance to get us out. Now it's me vs. machine and I will not be beaten by a lump of metal. I'm going to hear the cool noise from the chain tensioner that Chuck promised.  :nerd:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little update - got the deep socket yesterday. The timing gears are out and I'm going to start stripping the engine paint today. There's nothing like having a proper tool - and I'd be happy to loan it as needed.

Yesterday I also received a nifty new fuel injector cleaner (also available for loan):

I sent MartyNZ a pair of injector plugs from an old wiring harness and he made them into these fabulous injector cleaning kits. Nice long leads to attach to a battery (even if still on the bike), quick-connectors for the injector plug (so it can be used with other types of injectors) spray bottle adapters, clamps, etc. everything to make it super-easy on this first-timer (me). And here's the super-cool factor:  a foot switch so you can hold the injector and spray bottle with two hands. And the super-super-cool factor: Marty put a light inside the wires - so it lights up when the injector is open. I probably over-cleaned the injectors just so I could watch it light up.  :nerd:

IMG_5595.jpg

Thanks Marty.  :wub:

• Like 4