Brand-new Scura

Scud

Little update - got the deep socket yesterday. The timing gears are out and I'm going to start stripping the engine paint today. There's nothing like having a proper tool - and I'd be happy to loan it as needed.

Yesterday I also received a nifty new fuel injector cleaner (also available for loan):

I sent MartyNZ a pair of injector plugs from an old wiring harness and he made them into these fabulous injector cleaning kits. Nice long leads to attach to a battery (even if still on the bike), quick-connectors for the injector plug (so it can be used with other types of injectors) spray bottle adapters, clamps, etc. everything to make it super-easy on this first-timer (me). And here's the super-cool factor:  a foot switch so you can hold the injector and spray bottle with two hands. And the super-super-cool factor: Marty put a light inside the wires - so it lights up when the injector is open. I probably over-cleaned the injectors just so I could watch it light up.  :nerd:

attachicon.gifIMG_5595.jpg

Thanks Marty.  :wub:

Very nifty I have to say. What is even more wild is that it came from NZ. I mean think about it people from all of the world can now communicate almost immediately. I am sure given the age of most members here that probably used a slide rule in school that we never foresaw this coming  in our lifetimes.  

And come on a home Guzzi mechanic over doing something. Never :)

• Haha 1

Little update - got the deep socket yesterday. The timing gears are out and I'm going to start stripping the engine paint today. There's nothing like having a proper tool - and I'd be happy to loan it as needed.

Yesterday I also received a nifty new fuel injector cleaner (also available for loan):

I sent MartyNZ a pair of injector plugs from an old wiring harness and he made them into these fabulous injector cleaning kits. Nice long leads to attach to a battery (even if still on the bike), quick-connectors for the injector plug (so it can be used with other types of injectors) spray bottle adapters, clamps, etc. everything to make it super-easy on this first-timer (me). And here's the super-cool factor: a foot switch so you can hold the injector and spray bottle with two hands. And the super-super-cool factor: Marty put a light inside the wires - so it lights up when the injector is open. I probably over-cleaned the injectors just so I could watch it light up. :nerd:

attachicon.gifIMG_5595.jpg

Thanks Marty. :wub:

I have an identical injector cleaning kit available for loan to southern hemisphere Guzzi owners. You just need to send it back to me, or let me know who you sent it on to.

Scud, the big question: did you compare spray patterns before and after reverse flushing? Those injectors can be difficult to get out, so was it all worth the trouble?

I didn't think to check before I back-flushed my injectors, so I don't know.

And just to confirm your Guzzi credentials, the hammer is just out of view in that picture, right? You don't want a moderator asking questions.

• Like 1

I just flushed them - didn't bother checking the before spray pattern. I don't think I would have pulled them out if I didn't already have the engine and tranny out. To me, cleaning the injectors was worth the trouble, because I was already so deep into it and was replacing the fuel lines.

However, I grossly underestimated the time and effort required to remove all the crinkle paint.

However, I grossly underestimated the time and effort required to remove all the crinkle paint.

Come on knowing that Moto Guzzi would replace the cases with new ones back in the day under warranty must have given some indication that it would have been a bit of a pain lol. But hey you are having fun. :)

Come on knowing that Moto Guzzi would replace the cases with new ones back in the day under warranty must have given some indication that it would have been a bit of a pain lol. But hey you are having fun. :)

I do not recall that that is what Moto Guzzi offered for that defect. I recall that they would have the dealer "refinish" the cases, or the owner could elect for some compensatory accessories (a jacket or otherwise?).

I know one owner who went through the painful disassembly/ refinish process and heard of others who opted for the "accessory" option.

Anyone with first-hand experience?

It's not first-hand experience - but I heard that owners of 2002's with bubble-paint problems could get a set of Tekno-panniers in lieu of a repaint. perhaps that was one of may accessory options.

The only nasty paint left on mine now is on the block. I intend to strip that tomorrow - since I got the BMW bricks out of the way today.

I do not recall that that is what Moto Guzzi offered for that defect. I recall that they would have the dealer "refinish" the cases, or the owner could elect for some compensatory accessories (a jacket or otherwise?).

I know one owner who went through the painful disassembly/ refinish process and heard of others who opted for the "accessory" option.

Anyone with first-hand experience?

What happened was the dealer would put new cases on it. The original owner of the Mighty Scura opted for that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification JesterGrin_1 and Chuck. :thumbsup:  I knew they had to be completely torn down, but was not sure the procedure at that point.

So, engine cases, gearbox case(s), rear drive case. But probably not the ancillary parts Scud discovered (reaction rod, driveshaft collars)?

I'm wondering if that is a way to see that a 2002 V11 had this service performed?

Thanks for the clarification JesterGrin_1 and Chuck. :thumbsup:  I knew they had to be completely torn down, but was not sure the procedure at that point.

So, engine cases, gearbox case(s), rear drive case. But probably not the ancillary parts Scud discovered (reaction rod, driveshaft collars)?

I'm wondering if that is a way to see that a 2002 V11 had this service performed?

Oh yeah. You can see where it's been apart if you look.

• 2 weeks later...

More play time  :mg:

Rebuilt forks, new fluid in damper, fresh Pirelli Angel ST, groovy new front fender, lots of little stuff like cleaning and lubricating the wire harness, playing with ground wires, new speedo cable and angle drive (the previous cable had snapped and left a piece inside the drive gear).

IMG_5638.jpg

Still haven't painted the engine... but getting there. Hopefully I can get it going again before the New Year.

• Like 3

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!  Scud- where did you source the front fender? That looks awesome on the bike.  One of the major and only disappointments I have with my bike is the black PLASTIC FRONT FENDER  Guzzi saw fit to install on the LM. 

Jerry

I found the fender on eBay.  Details here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19514&p=215632

Jester and I had some PM conversation as he was also interested. The fender is for the Ohlins forks, and it would not be a direct fit to the Marzocchis - the zooks take 3 screws per side and they are in different places than the 2 per side of this one.

Meanwhile, Santa's elf was busy stripping the engine case. 

IMG_5642.jpg

• Like 3

Following up on my earlier puzzle about the timing chain... I got it back in today, along with the upgraded timing chain tensioner... and there is a bit of a trick to it.

IMG_5645.jpg

First, the new tensioner has to be compressed by something skinny enough to allow the chain to slide by. Standard C-clamps did not work. I took all the rubber tips off a spring-clamp and it was smooth and easy.

Then, all three gears and the chain have to go on at the same time. And this can be done with only two hands:

• Get the gears and chain all properly organized so the marks will line up. It would help if you were able keep them together after removal - but did I do that? No.
  • When you get the cam and crank gears to start over their respective pin and slot, then you have to line up the key and slot on the oil pump. This can be done by turning the oil pump shaft with a screwdriver. If your oil pump gear has the slot close to the top the little key will not fall out.

Snug it up... 150nM (110lb/ft) on the cam nut. No torque specs provided for the nuts on the lower two gears.

And WOW - the chain is WAY tighter than with the stock tensioner.  :D

Special tools: a super-deep 32mm socket, and if the motor is out, you need a starter gear locking tool. BTW, the bolts that go through the stock tensioner are longer than the other bolts around the main bearing housing - so I needed one new, shorter bolt.

Edit: read on to next page for even easier way to install the new tensioner.

Edited by docc
  • Like 4