Brand-new Scura

Scud

Thanks. But I started this "major service" in mid October...  I had a few days off and it was raining pretty hard the last two days. I pushed hard to get the engine paint done before the rain, then I had the proverbial rainy-day project. It's been killing me to not have it working. The other bikes are rideable, but they each need something. 

Thanks. But I started this "major service" in mid October...  I had a few days off and it was raining pretty hard the last two days. I pushed hard to get the engine paint done before the rain, then I had the proverbial rainy-day project. It's been killing me to not have it working. The other bikes are rideable, but they each need something. 

You forgot the Biggest reason. The other bikes are Not a Moto Guzzi Scura. :)

I think I remember K_Roy using a 3/4" drive socket with a couple flats ground into it so he could use a crescent. Something like that anyway....

yeah, that, too.

That's right, I hunted everywhere for a 1/2" deep socket then I found a readily available normal length 32mm 3/4" drive socket fits easily over the shaft.

I ground a couple of flats for my 12" Crescent.

I was worried that the socket might mar the shaft so I wrapped it with a few layers of masking tape

If you wanted to use a torque wrench perhaps weld a 1/2" drive deep socket to the top of  the 3/4" or extend it with a length of 3/4" pipe and a regular 1/2" drive.

Best line from this review:

"My only reservation is the black wrinkle finish on the crankcase and rear drive, which may take some keeping up to."

Ya know, there's a lot of truth to that. I have the MZ Skorpion out here in SoCal, now. It's argueably as good as the Scura in the canyons..but.. it's just not in the same league on the fun o meter.

SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!

IMG_5685.jpg

Came home from work today to find a new Odyssey battery on my door step (along with a fresh set of knobbies for my Husky). Popped it in and (after the requisite purging of air from the new fuel lines and filter) she fired right up and ran perfectly. Cool new noise from the timing chain (but not as "blower-like" as the unreasonable expectations I had fabricated). Clutch and all six gears working flawlessly. No signs of leaks or smells of fuel. Even the speedometer works again. Just went around the block a couple times and sat in the garage and smelled that sweet scent of curing paint and Simichrome polish residue burning off the exhaust.  :food:

She needs a few more shakedowns of gradually increasing intensity to heat cycle the paint and keep checking for leaks and looseness. Then we're gonna find some steep twisties and make up for lost time. I missed her so much...  :wub:

Thanks again for the advice, encouragement, and provocation along the way - and a special "thanks-again" to Andy for loaning the transmission tools after my discovery of the particularly discouraging transmission leak. I don't know if I would have made it through without all you guys.

New projects await...

• Like 5

It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Yes, and on this occasion I was especially nervous, because I had never taken a transmission apart before, nor had I installed a timing chain. So I was worried that I'd end up with a long trouble-shooting period. The perfect first-start and quick ride was truly a great feeling - that doesn't happen every time.

More rain today...  :(

More rain today...   :(

No need to thank me.. it's what I do. As soon as I showed up in SoCal there were two major storms, and snow pack in the higher elevations, not to mention the almost every day light rain. In three weeks, I rode in the canyons twice, and there were enough rocks and mud on the roads to make it entirely not fun.. Remember when you, Rox and I rode? Cool and damp. That was a good day.. ;)

I'll see about coming out in the Summer, when you *really* need it.  :rasta:

More rain today...   :(

No need to thank me.. it's what I do. As soon as I showed up in SoCal there were two major storms, and snow pack in the higher elevations, not to mention the almost every day light rain. In three weeks, I rode in the canyons twice, and there were enough rocks and mud on the roads to make it entirely not fun.. Remember when you, Rox and I rode? Cool and damp. That was a good day.. ;)

I'll see about coming out in the Summer, when you *really* need it.  :rasta:

You mean the "Scura Rally" where only one of us (you) could muster up a Scura? Yeah that was a great day. I was in Santa Monica yesterday for work, but went in a car. I had high hopes of taking the bike up there and have a rip around - but we DO need the rain here, thank-you.

Took the Scura out for a little pre-breakfast loop today. Still plenty of sand run-off and debris on the roads - that and new tires can make a guy think a lot about traction...

And about a mile from home I ran out of gas. Perhaps I failed to connect the fuel level sender???? Well, that's what shakedown rides are for... and mobile phones... and understanding spouses who are willing to deliver gas.  :notworthy:

• Like 2

Yeah, you wouldn't want it happening, say, 5º north of the equator at 4.000 meters elevation . . .  (Dakar Rally-Raid):

631040750.jpg?w=610&h=343&crop=1

I'm thinking whoever passed by in the MINI is not the rider's understanding wife . . . ;)

• Like 1

I released her into her natural habitat today. Mountain and desert passes...

IMG_5698.jpg

Molto%20Scura.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

200 miles of  :mg:  :race:   :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

• Like 5