Rear Wheel Service

czakky

I'm about to lever on a new rear tire on my LeMans and haven't really gone through Docc's handy checklist....yet. But before I begin I had a couple of questions for the spine frame minds.

Although I had hoped to replace my rear shock with something new and scandinavian it doesn't look like that is going to happen this service so It is all about servicing my less awesome Sachs. Over large slow bumps I am hearing a good amount of squeaking coming from the rear shock and I know it is obviously a failure prone piece but, is it necessary to grease both ends of the shock? I avoid removing the airbox like a plague and even with all parts removed it still seems like a PITA.... Will greasing the swingarm bushing suffice?

Cush drive, never really serviced it and after attempting to last tire removal one rounded alln-head discouraged me. Probably 38k miles on the bike. Is it really something vital?

Last, I have the most minor amount of play in my reaction rod (like .1-.3mm) am I good? No bucking bronco syndrome, atleast not terrible....

Thanks for any input. :notworthy:

Rebuilding the Sachs will cost money too, so consider getting a new shock. I just ditched my old Sachs and installed a Hyperpro 460, which really improved the ride. I wasn't aware how bad the Sachs was until getting rid of it. Now the back matches the front (Raceco fork springs and valves).

I used the 460 because I felt I don't need anything more complicated, considering the riding I do, and the fact that the V11 will never be a race bike.

The scary thing with the Sachs is that some of them (my wifes V11 included) break at the shock eyelet. This is a potentially bad failure.

As to would greasing the swing arm bushings help, that depends on what is making the noise. If the upper or lower shock eyelet is binding and making the noise obviously no amount of greasing the swing arm bushing, or anywhere else other then the shock eyelets, is going to make a difference. Sorry to state the obvious.

I would, at the very least, suggest inspection of the Sachs shock, paying close attention to the eyelets where it mounts. Greasing them, assuming they are not broken, would be a good idea and is not that hard. The lower one is more exposed and more likely to benefit from greasing. But both could use it, as could all the other moving parts in your rear suspension. Think about how old it is and how little grease was likely used when they built it. That is really not a Guzzi thing but a common issue with most if not all brands.

When we found the Sachs shock on the wife's bike had broken (as I recall it was the lower eyelet, but not sure) we replaced it with one from Penske. But I doubt you could buy a shock worse than the stock Sachs shock. Almost anything would be an upgrade. And a higher quality shock would be rebuild-able and should last the life of the bike, a "Buy it once" kind of deal.

• 3 weeks later...

The scary thing with the Sachs is that some of them (my wifes V11 included) break at the shock eyelet. This is a potentially bad failure.

As to would greasing the swing arm bushings help, that depends on what is making the noise. If the upper or lower shock eyelet is binding and making the noise obviously no amount of greasing the swing arm bushing, or anywhere else other then the shock eyelets, is going to make a difference. Sorry to state the obvious.

I would, at the very least, suggest inspection of the Sachs shock, paying close attention to the eyelets where it mounts. Greasing them, assuming they are not broken, would be a good idea and is not that hard. The lower one is more exposed and more likely to benefit from greasing. But both could use it, as could all the other moving parts in your rear suspension. Think about how old it is and how little grease was likely used when they built it. That is really not a Guzzi thing but a common issue with most if not all brands.

When we found the Sachs shock on the wife's bike had broken (as I recall it was the lower eyelet, but not sure) we replaced it with one from Penske. But I doubt you could buy a shock worse than the stock Sachs shock. Almost anything would be an upgrade. And a higher quality shock would be rebuild-able and should last the life of the bike, a "Buy it once" kind of deal.

I suspect that if you've run all this time with the Sachs staying in one piece, it's not going to split any time soon. When I looked at the broken eye on the end of mine, it appeared that it had fractured at an angle and made me wonder if the alignment on the swing arm end bolt might be out, just a tad, but enough to stress it to failure point... Sachs shock bodies are alloy, right? If I'm right, you'll either get the problem with the Sachs or you won't.

Happy Christmas all, by the way. First post in months, been away working but I got time at home today... at last!

I suspect that if you've run all this time with the Sachs staying in one piece, it's not going to split any time soon. When I looked at the broken eye on the end of mine, it appeared that it had fractured at an angle and made me wonder if the alignment on the swing arm end bolt might be out, just a tad, but enough to stress it to failure point... Sachs shock bodies are alloy, right? If I'm right, you'll either get the problem with the Sachs or you won't.

Happy Christmas all, by the way. First post in months, been away working but I got time at home today... at last!

Not sure I follow your logic.

If you are talking about my broken Sachs shock, I had/have no way of knowing how long it had been broken before being found.

Might it have lasted a long time before completely failing had we not replaced the shock? Sure, it might have. But if/when it failed the consequences could have been serious or even fatal. So replacing it once the failure was found was a no brainer.

If you want to compare pictures of Sachs failures let me know and I will see about getting some pics.

Why it failed I am not sure. From memory it cracked near the base of the shock eye, it looked like it was pulled apart in extension, so maybe a length issue. From what I have heard from others once the shock is replaced there are no more problems. Nothing else needs to be changed.

I think it would be good to post some photos of the broken shock eyes. I would like to link them to the Wheels Off Maintenance Checklist.  Right now, it only includes this phrase:

>Inspect the shock eye connection to the swingarm. The white spring/blue collar Sachs-Boge are prone to crack.

• 2 weeks later...

Rebuilding my Sachs this winter, heavier spring, new oil. going to have to change oil up in the forks too (its been 6 years!) spring time up front too.

Always entertaining the suspension game. Specific sag, endless fettling. Top end equipment does make a huge difference on the track, however I ride on the blue highway, it takes me where I want to go, it has 6 inch undulations and outright pot holes so a race ready track suspension has no place here. Sachs Boge has been in the game for a long time and currently provides suspension for many manufacturers. The fact that the V11 was sprung for a 150lb human is very unfortunate considering the draft of most North Americans and could possibly contribute to the broken eye issue. Another element is the atrocious quality control at Moto Guzzi in the early V11 years alignment and shimming were virtually non existent on all aspects of suspension and frame. So any replacement will work wonders-  and so will addressing the issue on the Sachs.

Heavier Spring 159 usd

oil/seals/labour 250 cdn

replacement simple 450-650 usd 

replacement equivalent adjustment 1100 usd

Passing some poseur over 200km/h with the stock rig= priceless

I got my Sachs rebuilt by Kiwi Suspension Services here in NZ.

They replaced the spring with a Orlins & replaced oil & seals.

Forks got Racetech treatment at same time.

Ride much more stable.

I have a Racetech gold valve kit on my Bandit.  I couldn't find anything for the Sport.  Could you supply some info regarding Racetech upgrade?