Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

I was actually a little confused on this process maybe you can help me here Docc....

My Ody. has always been "undercharged" (12.38-12.43v) so I throw it on a charger. Bring it up to 12.9v overnight off the charger it holds at around 12.78.  I ride almost everyday, within a day or two it's right back down to 12.38-12.43 after riding it.

My confusion lies around the fact that if charging takes place at 14.2 and up and my new-ish regulator only allows up to 14.2v. Wouldn't I be somewhat draining the battery every time I start it?

I wouldn't have ever given it a thought but every once in a while my bike will just barely start, like clicking, lights get real dim, about to pray to the gods of Mandello barely starts.

I would say, for sure, starting will discharge the battery briefly, but the regulator should bring it back up if it's throwing 14.2 volts. But how long is your daily ride, ten or fifteen minutes? And stop and go traffic where the voltage at idle may be discharging (

12.4 volts for an AGM is quite flat (65%).

I would do a couple things: first, measure voltages 1) key off, 2) after 3 minutes of high beam, 3) during cranking, 4) at idle, and 5) at various rpm (2000-4500)

Second, discharge the battery a few minutes with the lights the "push" the charging with a higher amperage (6-10amps) controlling the voltage manually in the specified range (14.2-14.7, not to exceed 15.0v). Follow this phase with a "float charge for 6-8 hours at 13.5-13.8v (NOT below 13.2v!) Monitor the voltage over a period of hours to days and recharge every time it drops to ~85% (12.65v).

After a few cycles, your AGM should stabilize and hold above 90% for days to weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to record some voltage, before a well due and...nearly drama un-free ride. :bike:

Before I tried to put a little life into her she was sitting at 12.33v after... 5 days of no riding, I'm ashamed.

After key on w/ high beam 11.85 after roughly 3 min. 11.80... not bad?

Cranking. My dam clips fell off of my ground and had me worried for a second but last I saw we were at 10.5v around the time she rumbled to life.

Honestly, I am not too worried about the charging values as I stay on top of those. Usually around 13 at idle up to 14.2 or so at "hang on mama!"

Charging looks good, and 10.5 cranking the starter is not bad.

But under 12.65 is an indication to charge before riding. Under 12.5 may require special attention to get the charge optimal.

My experience is : letting the battery get below ~85% (12.65v) and expecting the bike's charging system to bring it back up, or expecting a "trickle charger" to bring it back up , is likely to give you disappointment.

• 10 months later...

'tis the season, as we say! :xmas:

. .  for conditioning batteries at least!

Having continued to struggle with manually charging my five AGM batteries with four different chargers (none of which are correct for the AGM), I'm ready to spring for a modern charger that meets the voltage/amperage requirements for the care and feeding of the AGM like the Odyssey PC545 many of us use in the V11.

I'd say I'm pretty die-hard, but not sure if I should spell that: DieHard® . . . ;)

Chalky

Your Voltage does seem low, have you added a ground strap to the regulator?

One more thing that will result in low Voltage is headlight relays powered directly from the battery, this robs the regulator of the normal Voltage drop.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Yeah, seems like my problems stem from my regulator replacement. I've had my battery off the bike for a little more than a week and it's holding around 12.8.

If I pull the main (30a) fuse and the regulator/charging circuit fuse (5a) the battery seems to hold. It's an electrosport? Or whatever regulator. Gonna try something different, reg. wise. If that makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned in another thread ('03 V11 runs like crap), a weak battery on a V11 can be a source of frustration. This is a recurring theme and can lead to a literal "wild goose chase" of various other issues when, really, the battery needs proper conditioning.

So, three things:

1) Don't let your AGM fall below 12.65 volts before "conditioning" it. (First, discharge with the lights on for a few minutes, then charge as in Step 3.) :luigi:

2) Don't expect your V11's electrical system to take care of this for you. It may not run well and the charging system will get pissed off. :o

3) Be certain your charge and float voltages are correct for the AGM requirement: 14.2-14.7v  to charge (not to exceed 15v) with a minimum of 6 amps, and 13.5-13.8v to "float"/ "trickle"

LESS voltage on trickle/float is NOT okay. Odyssey states that floating under 13.2 damages the battery:

"Note, however, that the charge voltage should not be
dropped below 13.2V as that will cause the battery grids

to corrode faster, thereby shortening the battery life."

I have read this "trick" that involves taking a conventional battery , hooking jumper cables to the AGM or gel cell battery . Allow an hour for them to stabilize , then hook up your battery charger . Turn it to the 2a rate and allow it to charge overnight.

Thanks for the update on this topic. I have a few Batter Tender chargers that I plug in occasionally, just to "top up."  But this has all been intuitive - I haven't bothered to collect voltage data. So this AGM-dedicated unit is appealing. I looked around a bit for an EnerSys charger and came up empty. However, I found this BatteryMINDer unit that seems like what you are describing:

http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Charger-Desulfator-Batteries-Model-2012-AGM/dp/B005EKY20K/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1452312053&sr=1-1&keywords=agm+charger+odyssey

Does that unit seem similar to one that is working for you? Note that BatteryMINDer offers two units that appear similar, but one has AGM as a suffix to the product number.

I see a Model #  12248 that looks like it might be better for $139.00 .
Look at all of them. You might find something at a battery store , motorcycle dealer or automotive parts store too.

EnerSys (Odyssey) is adamant that these batteries will not charge without applying a minimum of 6 amps, and at 14.2-14.7 volts (15 volt limit).

@gstallons: check out their official procedure/ step 1 to recover a deeply discharged AGM (jumper to a healthy battery!):

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ProceduretorecoverdeeplydischargedODYSSEY.pdf

@Scud: Odyssey publishes a list of approved chargers. BatteryMINDer is on the list and are good quality products. I almost bought one and choked on the $161US :o

I'm still looking for a link to that document, but the BatteryMINDer they list is 12248-AA-S3

EDIT: Here's the list of approved chargers [updated link 13 June, 2017]:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_approved_12V_chargers.pdf

Also, here is Odyssey's official statement on premature failure in "Custom" V-twin motorcycles. Now, I think we can presume they're talking low revving Harley Davidsons and such, but  this is worth noting:

"ODYSSEY Short Service Life in Custom V-Twin Motorcycles

Issue – This notice provides helpful information to the designer, manufacturer, assembler, dealer and bike owner that may have experienced a short service life with the ODYSSEY® Drycell Battery model PC 545MJ installed in Custom V-Twin motorcycles.

The increasing popularity of the custom V-twin motorcycle with its big inch engine and high power starting requirement has introduced a new operational issue. New ODYSSEY batteries and other brands initially provide good starting power, but in a short time of use have no or poor starting power and appear to have prematurely failed.

Factory analysis of warranty returned batteries indicate these batteries have not failed and do not have factory defects. Batteries with this type of performance are at low charge levels only!

Cause - The custom bike requires 2 ½ times the starting power of stock HD engines, but have the same size battery and same 32 amp charging system. The custom bike is generally a short mileage in-town rider, with insufficient driving mileage to recharge the battery. V-twin charging systems only develop enough power to run the motorcycle until engine rpm is above 2,000, when excess power is diverted to charge the battery. Full charged ODYSSEY battery voltage is 12.85 volts. ODYSSEY Batteries with less than 12.40 volts cannot reliably start big inch engines.

Solution – ODYSSEY Batteries are a military grade design and mechanically indestructible. Military design prevents shorted cells and vibration damage. They provide deep-cycle reserve and high starting power. Use a 12V, 6A (OMAX-6A-1B) or 12V, 12A (OMAX-12A-1B) Ultimizer charger with dealer or owner installed quick disconnect harness to maintain ODYSSEY at full charge for maximum performance and life. Always connect the charger to battery first, then plug into the AC wall socket. Always unplug from the AC wall socket before disconnecting from battery. Charger will not over-charge as it switchs to storage charge after recharging. Consistent use of the Ultimizer charger will assure trouble free starting power, with 4-8 years of ODYSSEY service life.

Help - For ODYSSEY technical support call Bruce Essig at 660-429-7506."

"EnerSys (Odyssey) is adamant that these batteries will not charge without applying a minimum of 6 amps, and at 14.2-14.7 volts."

I'm curious what our bikes put out with normal riding. And what about adding a vest or lighting accessories?