Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

OCV or Open Circuit Voltage ( that I am aware of ) is voltage at a power source with no load i.e. no wiring attached . A long way around to say the battery disconnected .

What is "Open Current Voltage"?

OCV or Open Circuit Voltage ( that I am aware of ) is voltage at a power source with no load i.e. no wiring attached . A long way around to say the battery disconnected .

("leerlauf," then . . .  ?)

That's a good definition of OCV.  Since most of us are checking the battery still in the bike, we are technically looking at SOC (State of Charge).  The charts and tables sometimes use the terms interchangeably,  but it's good to know the actual distinction.

Thanks, gentlemen! :thumbsup:

Quote:

"Truly! Repeat when the battery drops to 12.65v at 77ºF/25ºC.

What's the ambient temperature where the battery is?"

It was 24f last night when I measured it. In the past 2 weeks, it's been around 20-35f.

Ken

So cold, how can you be so cruel, my Guzzis are all bundled up under a nice cover in underground garage.

Sent from my shoe phone!

• 1 month later...

So, why has the Cold Cranking Amps rating on the latest PC545 dropped from 185 to 150?

And does that 20% difference even matter for our application ?

Just a FYI. I recently bought an Odyssey charger. I figured why not, I have 4  Odyssey batteries.. if it saves one it just paid for itself.

Certainly does work well. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I really cannot believe the length of this thread. Its just a lead acid battery.

But, an expensive one that can leave you disappointed without a full understanding of its nature and requirements.

Let's face it, even performing at 75%, these things are extraordinary batteries! :thumbsup:

This thread has saved my Odyssey battery from my V11 and the AGM from my V7 Classic, so this lengthy thread is worth it. Last November neither battery was holding a charge. They're both doing well as of now. Thanks to docc and all of the others for their info!

Ken

Ah-HAH! I knew I read this somewhere I accepted as a reliable source (Euro MotoElectrics invoice for my last Ducati Energia regulator):

IMG_4356.jpg

Hence, my method of opening the switch on my Big League Circuit Breaker in the charging circuit (which substitutes for the 30 amp fuse) while charging.

• 2 months later...

After using the BatteyMinder 12248 on both my bike batteries this winter (Odyssey in V11 and AGM in V7C), they are good to go. As of last fall, neither would hold a charge for 1 week. After leaving them connected to the Batteryminder for 2 weeks each (in desulfation mode), both bikes fired right up after 1 month on sitting in the garage while being connected to the bikes.

Ken

I just went for a putt on the Monza yesterday. It had been sitting since January since I charged and conditioned it with the Odyssey charger. It was going down rapidly last fall.. Started right up. The Lario is on the schedule today. I fully expect it to be fine, too. Yes, this thread has been worth it for me. 4 batteries that act like they are new.  :thumbsup: Priceless. Well, $400..

• 4 weeks later...

There is this business of "overcharging" (without discharging), Termed "Voltage Depression:

(Wiki quote with embedded links):

"Voltage depression due to long-term over-charging

A common process often ascribed to memory effect is voltage depression. In this case, the peak voltage of the battery drops more quickly than normal as it is used, even though the total energy remains almost the same. In modern electronic equipment that monitors the voltage to indicate battery charge, the battery appears to be draining very quickly. To the user, it appears the battery is not holding its full charge, which seems similar to memory effect. This is a common problem with high-load devices such as digital cameras and cell phones.

Voltage depression is caused by repeated over-charging of a battery, which causes the formation of small crystals of electrolyte on the plates. These can clog the plates, increasing resistance and lowering the voltage of some individual cells in the battery. This causes the battery as a whole to seem to discharge rapidly as those individual cells discharge quickly and the voltage of the battery as a whole suddenly falls. This effect is very common, as consumer trickle chargers typically overcharge."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect