Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

19 hours ago, docc said:

I really think that is normal. Monitor how long it takes them to drop to 12.65v then discharge/charge.

Never allow the charge voltage to exceed 15.0 volts.

The Norton dropped to 12.91v overnight.

I put the Guzzi on the charger and I need to see where it's at after leaving it off again.

On 5/13/2020 at 11:43 AM, swooshdave said:

The Norton dropped to 12.91v overnight.

I put the Guzzi on the charger and I need to see where it's at after leaving it off again.

So, why not at least wait and monitor how long it takes to drop to 100%  (12.84 volts @ 77ºF)?

On 5/13/2020 at 12:21 PM, docc said:

So, why not at least wait and monitor how long it takes to drop to 100%  (12.84 volts @ 77ºF)?

Because that would be prudent and logical? :P Plus, it's only 77˚F here only every once in a while. :D

So, all batteries are charged at voltage above their 100%, but no battery will hold voltage above 100%.  Any voltage drop after charging down to 100% is normal. How long it takes to drop (minutes, hours, days) can give some indication the battery's general health. The longer it takes to drop to 100%, then 85%, the stronger the battery is.

The temperature corrected values are not radically over a 20ºF range.

Hmm . . . a SmartGuzzi?  :wacko: Pretty sure I'll have to keep using my voltmeter.

Someone asked me how long a PC545 should take to drop from charge termination to 100% (12.84v), then to the 85% (12.65v) threshold to recharge. I just terminated my Sport's 6 year old PC545 (not the ten year old in swampee-the-test-bed) from the EnerSys 6amp Ultimizer at 13.56 volt "float" after a discharge/charge session a couple days ago.

I consider this a strong AGM, even serving the Sport six years.  Perhaps the drop intervals will be helpful to those trying to assess the strength of theirs.

I could not imagine running a V11 reliably, long term, without a quality DVOM.

• Like 1

I believe shoowdave's overnight change looks really good. My "strong" PC545 dropped to 12.78v (~98%) overnight and still there 6 hours later.

Will monitor the interval of time until discharge/charge is required at the 12.65v (85%) threshold.

Unless I get to ride this weekend, then "never-mind" . . .

New pc545 ....5-13-20.  12.63v

put on charge ....    5-13-20......13.2 v at 5:15 pm  took charger off

5-13-20......12.9 v  at 9pm

5-14-20  .....12.8 v at 9 am

5-15-20 ......12.8 v at 4 pm

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the numbers! I'd ask how long it takes to drop to 12.65v, but we're talking about a V11 LeMans that never sits that long! :race:

16 minutes ago, andy york said:

12.70v today .....been sitting for 4 days

Solid! Thanks for posting your numbers on your new PC545.

12.70 here as well,  7 days. Right at 90%. :thumbsup:

I do have a Speedhut GPS sucking a little off mine.

Turns out my Speedhut "location memory" has been disconnected since I installed the last LED headlamp. Back on now, but just 25 microamps.

So, 14 days to drop to the 12.65v threshold. A few minutes with the (LED) lights on stabilized at 12.04v.  Offering this as a reference of a known good PC545 (6 years old).

Also, interesting that six hours after running it down to 12.04v, it is back up to 12.68v. No charge, yet, then.  I'll watch it another 36 hours, but intend to ride it then to roll 115,000 miles and commence my next service (tune-up, fluids, filters, fork oil).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A question for those more electrically inclined than I. My Odyssey battery has dropped it's bundle again I think due to inactivity and a faulty Reg. I noticed when I pulled it to install the Daytona engine it had been leaking a small amount of fluid. This also happened with the previous one as well and I thought I had solved the apparent overcharging with modifying the wiring to the headlight to prevent the typical voltage drop and the false voltage sensing experienced by the Reg. Apparently not it seems so I fitted the new ELE std wiring REG I already had and cleaned up the battery and installed it and it all seemed good. Looked at the battery voltage yesterday and it was 5 volts. I'll try and recover it per this thread and use it as a garage battery and buy a new one.

So the question is when I do that i'll also try and buy an approved odyssey charger as well. I have an ac to ac step down adaptor I've been using on hand tool battery charges for years and it's rated as follows

Input AC 240Volts 50/60 Hz

Output AC 120 Volts 50/60 Hz

Power 500VA

I figure that this unit can support a 12 volt output 110V input USA charger and support around 41 amps current draw. Is this correct? Or am I mis calculating? Just confirming so I can look at the possibility of buying an approved Odyssey charger from the states.

Ciao

A quirky bike is enough for me. A quirky battery is over the top. I believe that a Reading Pennsylvania Yuasa AGM will go in its place. Got 9 years out of the last one in a Kawi.

16 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

A question for those more electrically inclined than I. My Odyssey battery has dropped it's bundle again I think due to inactivity and a faulty Reg. I noticed when I pulled it to install the Daytona engine it had been leaking a small amount of fluid. This also happened with the previous one as well and I thought I had solved the apparent overcharging with modifying the wiring to the headlight to prevent the typical voltage drop and the false voltage sensing experienced by the Reg. Apparently not it seems so I fitted the new ELE std wiring REG I already had and cleaned up the battery and installed it and it all seemed good. Looked at the battery voltage yesterday and it was 5 volts. I'll try and recover it per this thread and use it as a garage battery and buy a new one.

So the question is when I do that i'll also try and buy an approved odyssey charger as well. I have an ac to ac step down adaptor I've been using on hand tool battery charges for years and it's rated as follows

Input AC 240Volts 50/60 Hz

Output AC 120 Volts 50/60 Hz

Power 500VA

I figure that this unit can support a 12 volt output 110V input USA charger and support around 41 amps current draw. Is this correct? Or am I mis calculating? Just confirming so I can look at the possibility of buying an approved Odyssey charger from the states.

Ciao

Very timely question (for which I have no answer). Chatting with another member, we are having difficulty finding a "manual" charger that will actually provide a true 6+ amps to significantly charge the PC545 Odyssey when it falls below the 12.65v charge threshold. Seems that these "manual" chargers taper the current (amperage) based upon >some algorithm<.

Giving the Odyssey "the full beans" remains elusive . . .