Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

I haven't been tracking this thread but noticed so much activity, and possible problems noted. I copied my post from last December on a lithium I've been running.  It's been perfect, no problems, very satisfied. I haven't trickled charged it once, granted I ride at least every two weeks or so.

YTZ14S Z14S Lithium Ion 12v Battery, 1.98lbs, CCA 300, $122.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O179I9W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I currently am using this on my 2003. Note: the height of this battery is only 3.4", thus it can be mounted upright, accounting for the positive terminal being on the left, as opposed to the OEM being on the right.

Update: this battery has been working perfect, not a single problem. Since this purchase however I ordered a NOCO lithium for my KLX250 and was more impressed than I ever have been with any lithium brand. In the future, I plan to stick with NOCO.

• Like 2

Good to see it's not obsolete. Think I'll wait until I absolutely need it. Sort of like waiting for the Low Fuel lamp to come on while not knowing if it actually works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 7 months later...

LaGrasta, good to read about the NOCO option.

I was considering that as a replacement.

l have to do a little more checking but I believe pc545 in the Mighty Scura may be getting a little sleepy. Couple outings ago I experienced slow rotation but it fired up. It started fine the rest of the day. This last time I got a got a click, clunk, uggh. No rotation. Cleaned the terminals and the same. I keep it on a1.25-1.5 amp Battery Tender when not riding. Same treatment as the GRiSO, still on the original 2013 battery.

The Scura is most likely a next month project as the GRiSO is on the lift for preseason checks and maintenance currently. I’ll try to remember to update on my findings and actions.

If your "Battery Tender" has the typical "trickle" voltage below 13.2 volts, Odyssey states the battery will be damaged.

If your static voltage is below 12.65, they say the battery will not charge with less than 6 amps applied. Monitor that charge voltage does not exceed 15.0. Discharge and repeat until stable.

Pretty sure this thread details that conditioning procedure. If the battery is deeply discharged, there is another procedure referenced for recovery.

• 1 month later...

Thread is already bloody long, but same topic, so….

545 in Goldie wasn’t happy at all, presumably because despite me saying I’ve not had issues over the years using the “wrong” little deltran float charges (~1a units), that delusional reality fell on its face in Goldie, which pretty much has sat in the shop for about 3yrs, or maybe longer, on a little deltran 1.25a float charger.  So for “fun” will try and bring it back to life.  

Have my trusty Battery Minder 8A unit I’ve used for such things, with its AGM setting (etc).  Weird thing, and the point of this post, is that it starts its usual charge, then after 5-10 mins, the yellow “weak battery” light comes on, then it cycles itself away from 8amp/AGM charge to one of the other settings (i think its the “flooded” setting) and goes to 2amps.   Weird.  So I’ll try it again, same thing.  Never seen that before with this charger.  Sign of a really bad battery, or is there an evil spirit in the Battery Minder?

Hit the (highly) suspect battery with a 10a charger after discharging it, repeated as described in this thread, and it seems to be coming back, but the battery minder is still doing the same thing, cycling away from its proper amperage and battery type setting on its own after about 10 mins, after the “weak battery” yellow light comes on. (I’m only able to use the big 10a manual unit for the charge cycles).  Seems to work fine still on the other V11’s.

As an anecdotal side-not, to keep working on Goldie I temporarily popped in a Shorai Li-ion battery I removed from the KTM about 6 yrs ago, it was strong!  Crazy.  Half the size, twice the CCA, and she worked a charm. 

Rather than relying on the chargers' (unknown) algorithms, try using a manual setting and monitor with a volt meter. Terminate the charge at 15.0 volts, discharge and repeat until stable (battery stays above 12.65v for days to weeks and cranks reliably when engaged).

14 minutes ago, docc said:

Rather than relying on the chargers' (unknown) algorithms, try using a manual setting and monitor with a volt meter. Terminate the charge at 15.0 volts, discharge and repeat until stable (battery stays above 12.65v for days to weeks and cranks reliably when engaged).

Having worked with batteries, evolving battery chemistry since the 80's, I was never convinced about the "Battery Tender" equipment.

I agree with you that it is better to be proactive, checking and charging your battery as necessary, rather than using those trickle chargers which logic and output you have no control upon.

After my battery exchange, I learned that battery supplies all have different requirements for minimum and maximum voltages. This is well specified for the Lithium batteries, and the up and down limits can be very different.

39 minutes ago, docc said:

Thanks Docc.  I probably used too many words on my post, confusing the issue….

I have been using a manual 10a charger for the old battery, doing the discharge and charge cycles, and so far with some apparent success, but question is about the other charger:  Whether anyone has heard of the BatteryMinder branded 8A charger, one of the ones approved by Odyssey, ever doing what its doing to me, where it kicks off from the AGM & 8A mode after about 10 mins, when it then shows “weak battery”, and reverts on its own to Flooded & 2A mode. 

@Gmc28

I use a MotoBatt Fixed Load Battery Tester on my battery(es). It is 55 USD.

https://www.motobatt.us/Tester-Motobatt-Fixed-Load-12V

They have more expensive Testers now, less "bulky" and more powerful up to 2000 CCA, but the final result remain the same.

You can check your battery under load, and you can check your charging system input. The load test is gold! tells you exactly the health of your battery.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Thanks Docc.  I probably used too many words on my post, confusing the issue….

I have been using a manual 10a charger for the old battery, doing the discharge and charge cycles, and so far with some apparent success, but question is about the other charger:  Whether anyone has heard of the BatteryMinder branded 8A charger, one of the ones approved by Odyssey, ever doing what its doing to me, where it kicks off from the AGM & 8A mode after about 10 mins, when it then shows “weak battery”, and reverts on its own to Flooded & 2A mode. 

Yes, my EnerSys OptiMate will change to the lower amperage as well. Probably fine for a "healthy" PC545, but I prefer the manual method, with voltage monitoring, for rescues.

• Like 1