Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

16 minutes ago, docc said:

Very timely question (for which I have no answer). Chatting with another member, we are having difficulty finding a "manual" charger that will actually provide a true 6+ amps to significantly charge the PC545 Odyssey when it falls below the 12.65v charge threshold. Seems that these "manual" chargers taper the current (amperage) based upon >some algorithm<.

Giving the Odyssey "the full beans" remains elusive . . .

I recently bought this "cheapy" off ebay ( around $35AU so about 2 cents US) specifically because it had a "manual" setting. It's brought the Odyssey back up to full charge from 5 volts but the capacity seems poor. Now on manual it will punch 16 volts into it and just a few amps so I'm not using the manual mode anymore. I'm trying to drop the voltage down with a load and hit it again.

It supposedly does Lithium Iron batteries as well. HMM not so sure about that.

DSC01300.JPG

Uncertain about that charger and how to use it. Always attach a reliable voltmeter and never exceed 15.0 volts.

Amperage is much harder to monitor. Odyssey say actual charging only occurs at 6 or more amps.

Those catch phrases "pulse" and "repair" do not look AGM compatible. Also "lithium battery" parameters are not AGM parameters.

fire-safety-blog-post.jpg

I only bought it for the Manual ability. I have "nanny" chargers that won't charge a battery if it's below about 10.5 volts which are annoying. Use this one on "manual" to get them back up to a decent state of charge then switch it to "auto" seems to work OK. Not sure about how or if the Lithium setting works on this charger as they require a constant amperage and variable voltage.

Ciao

• Like 1

so now I'm thinking about my 545's - 3 of them. I know one is old because it was in the bike for a long time and when it started getting weak I bought a new one. BEFORE I knew of Docc's expert treatise on conditioning. I got another one a few years ago in my "parts bike". I put the new one in the Tenni and proceeded to condition the others. I just now ran out to the shop and checked the 2 on the bench. Not been charged in 5 months. One at 12.56 and one at 12.38. (I'll bring them back to full tomorrow)

My curiosity peaked when I see "2019" tags on both - can't be true. Odyssey site revealed no info on the build dates... but this link did  https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=73563  the first post decodes the build dates

I guess they use them in aircraft too!

my serial #'s (the small sticker with the bar code) reveal one of them built 5/17 and shipped 10/17

the other built 3/10 and shipped 5/10 ............ I conditioned them 2+ years ago and charged them once last fall. I've always used a 30+ year old cheap charger with a 6a manual mode which I watch closely. I would not be afraid to use either in one of my bikes.

The Sport came with a Shorai and after sitting cold for 5 months still shows 13.45v

My XS650 with the same Shorai sat cold for about 7 months and shows 13.38v

Odyssey batteries are not quirky, ... Docc is quirky:rolleyes:... maybe ...by figuring out, through long study, how to keep the 545 at an optimal operating level for as long as possible. Thanks Docc

I'll bet one of those extra 545's will outlast the Shorai

• Haha 1

Not sure where the Coltrane reference was listed here.  But the Mrs ordered the record, "BlueTrain", I suppose Thursday night.   It was delivered just now.  I think about $10 for CD and shipping.

12 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Not sure where the Coltrane reference was listed here.  But the Mrs ordered the record, "BlueTrain", I suppose Thursday night.   It was delivered just now.  I think about $10 for CD and shipping.

Ah, sorry: Technical Thread got "Moderated." I thought everyone followed the drift here:

All cool! I love Coltrane as much as the next guy, but he ain't gonna charge your PC545 . . .  :nerd:

I apologize: I should have left a link when I split those posts. I saw everyone followed it to the "What do you listen to?" thread, so I thought it  was okay  . . . :huh:

Back to the op topic, I use a C-Tek 4.3 smart charger that has a mode specifically for Odyssey type batteries. I've bought a bunch of battery connector leads and rotate the charger through my bikes and other equipment as needed. fwiw

I've read recently on here that the chargers can be toxic to the R/R on the V11s and the 30 amp fuse should be pulled to protect it while charging, is that the correct/simplest procedure?

I've been charging my California Vintage for a few years with this method and I "think" that bike has the same type of alternator R/R charging system, my CX100 also has the EME 450W permanent magnet system, which I believe is the same style charging system as well.  I've never noticed the battery charger causing a problem, maybe I'm just lucky and have been dodging bullets, idk? 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:03 PM, 80CX100 said:

Back to the op topic, I use a C-Tek 4.3 smart charger that has a mode specifically for Odyssey type batteries. I've bought a bunch of battery connector leads and rotate the charger through my bikes and other equipment as needed. fwiw

I've read recently on here that the chargers can be toxic to the R/R on the V11s and the 30 amp fuse should be pulled to protect it while charging, is that the correct/simplest procedure?

I've been charging my California Vintage for a few years with this method and I "think" that bike has the same type of alternator R/R charging system, my CX100 also has the EME 450W permanent magnet system, which I believe is the same style charging system as well.  I've never noticed the battery charger causing a problem, maybe I'm just lucky and have been dodging bullets, idk? 

The source for disconnecting the regulator from the battery being externally charged comes from a US distributor for OEM type DucatiEnergia regulators (EME/EuroMotoElectrics):

IMG_4356.jpg

FWIW, I was always concerned about pulling the 30 amp charging fuse out, and replacing it, since the connections are already tiny and under-rated for the amperage. Same for pulling relays out: too easy to spread the female contacts below and disturb the connections. I feel like I solved this with by replacing the 30 amp Charging/Regulator fuse with a rated circuit breaker. So, yes, easy for me to "disconnect Voltage Regulator/Rectifier from battery" while charging externally. Makes a difference? One can hope . . .

One thing for sure, EME has been proven totally correct that "Additional wire ground(s) direct to battery and/or engine are strongly recommended."

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, docc said:

The source for disconnecting the regulator from the battery being externally charged comes from a US distributor for OEM type DucatiEnergia regulators (EME/EuroMotoElectrics):

IMG_4356.jpg

FWIW, I was always concerned about pulling the 30 amp charging fuse out, and replacing it, since the connections are already tiny and under-rated for the amperage. Same for pulling relays out: too easy to spread the female contacts below and disturb the connections. I feel like I solved this with by replacing the 30 amp Charging/Regulator fuse with a rated circuit breaker. So, yes, easy for me to "disconnect Voltage Regulator/Rectifier from battery" while charging externally. Makes a difference? One can hope . . .

One thing for sure, EME has been proven totally correct that "Additional wire ground(s) direct to battery and/or engine are strongly recommended."

Hey Docc, Tks for that info. I had wired in extra grounds from the R/R when I installed that charging system on my CX100, but I haven't done it to any other bike, I'll keep that in mind. I've read you making reference to replacing the fuse with a breaker, not sure if I'm up for that, but I'll definitely read through that link.

Tks very much

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, at only 2.6 kg that's quite a weight saving over the MBTX12U at 4.4 kg I just installed before Christmas. I have always had a lot of time for the Motobatt range of batteries. Just checked retail pricing at $339 as opposed to $160 for the conventional. For me it is a case of yeah, nah.

Rob

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, O2 V11 said:

Wow, at only 2.6 kg that's quite a weight saving over the MBTX12U at 4.4 kg I just installed before Christmas. I have always had a lot of time for the Motobatt range of batteries. Just checked retail pricing at $339 as opposed to $160 for the conventional. For me it is a case of yeah, nah.

Rob

I was comparing to the $238AU I just paid for another Odyssey PC545. You can get the Motobat  MHTX16 for $284AU here.

I'm also tempted by this. Around $80AU here.

https://www.motobatt.us/Tester-Motobatt-Fixed-Load-12V

Ciao