Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

The 6 amp O-Max charger has special algorithms for the Odyssey AGM. You can use an ordinary 6 amp charger for the bulk charge phase if you do not exceed 15v (temperature corrected).  I was able to keep my PC545s at about 82% for eight or nine years that way. Even at 82%, the PC545 is an outstanding battery!

BatteryMinder (among others) also makes an (EnerSys/Odyssey) approved charger. 

• 5 weeks later...

New test bed! A buddy with a V11 said he "needs a new battery." I sez: -> bring it!

It's an Odyssey PC545 built the 165th day of 2011 (11165 after the first letters in the serial number.) So, it's seven years old.

I'm still getting the history on it, but it showed 12.75v (good), then the EnerSys Optimizer could not get it past 14.62v between one and 3 1/2 hours. (Not good. It should have made 14.7v and dropped to the "float charge" at 13.5-13.6.)

Terminated the charge and will monitor how long it takes to drop to 12.65, then discharge and apply the Optimizer . . .

IMG_5484.jpg

Overnight, it dropped only to 12.70. Discharged it a few minutes and the Optimizer took it to 14.7v and dropped to the float charge (13.54v) within ten minutes.

I think I can save this one . . .

[edit: NOT!]

are you happy with your choice of charger? is that the 6 or 12a?

Yeah, man! It's a 6 amp. I got it on ebay. I don't think they make this one any more.

Seems this battery spent the winter on a BatteryTender. We can be certain that is not good for these AGM.

• 3 weeks later...

Could not bring this PC545 back. Kil't by the Battery Tender.  The V11 owner now has a new PC545 and an Odyssey 6 amp charger. :thumbsup:

Today, I discovered my test bed PC545 in Swampee, the CubCadet, at 7.45v.   The charger refused to give it a go, so I have it jumpered to the Deka AGM in Mr.Bill, my '91 MTD.  Might as well try the deep discharge recovery . . .

(Build date on the dead battery is 88th day of 2010.)

The Sport's battery is 155th day of 2014. She may be getting a fresh PC545 and be donating the 4-year-old to Swampee.

After connecting the 2010-88 to the Deka for a couple hours, then several discharge/ charge cycles (using 10 amps up to several hours), the 8-year old PC545  held to 12.65v over two and half days.

I'll keep repeating the discharge/ charge cycles with the 6a Optimizer every time it statically discharges to 80% and see if she'll hold longer and longer . . .

At this point, it seems the deep discharge recovery worked on a battery that was little over 7 volts!  Dat's ded, mon! :rasta:

Thanks for posting that method, gstallons! :thumbsup:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ProceduretorecoverdeeplydischargedODYSSEY.pdf

• Like 2

Seems like the Koehler in the CubCadet is close to 750cc. It just sits so, so much (thank goodness!)

This time the PC545 testbed took 5 days to fall below 12.65v  (last time 2 days).

Discharge/ charge/ monitor/ repeat.

These are amazing batteries with the right attention. :thumbsup:

[edit/ 08 August 2018: last discharge to 12.64 took eleven days. Really amazing that a completely dead  battery (just over 7 volts) has been recovered using these established methods. Don't throw away an Odyssey PC545 without trying attempting the recovery/conditioning.]

• Like 1