Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

47 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Wise men always discount their knowledge

That is kind of you, Sir. Still, I just took the time to bring some things together from reliable sources and document outcomes.

I rode the 40+ miles to the "big city" and parked the bike for 30-40 minutes. Back to the bike, it barely cranked the engine over. Hmmmm. Did I leave it in the "park" position? Nope and with LEDs, that should not have been a worry for 40 minutes in any case, I would think. Rode home no problem - so probably not the charging system - and the batt shows 13.0v at rest. Started up, it read something like 13.5, but steadily rising up to about 13.78, when I shut the bike off (no cooling fan yet). So, looks like time for conditioning or replacing.

I don't really know the history of the battery. But, I see that Odyssey has an "Extreme Series" PC545MJ out, which is supposedly a cut able their classic model. $118 amazon Prime.  

6 hours ago, po18guy said:

I rode the 40+ miles to the "big city" and parked the bike for 30-40 minutes. Back to the bike, it barely cranked the engine over. Hmmmm. Did I leave it in the "park" position? Nope and with LEDs, that should not have been a worry for 40 minutes in any case, I would think. Rode home no problem - so probably not the charging system - and the batt shows 13.0v at rest. Started up, it read something like 13.5, but steadily rising up to about 13.78, when I shut the bike off (no cooling fan yet). So, looks like time for conditioning or replacing.

I don't really know the history of the battery. But, I see that Odyssey has an "Extreme Series" PC545MJ out, which is supposedly a cut able their classic model. $118 amazon Prime.  

The MJ is a metal jacket around the same battery. It will fit but requires the battery tray/cage to be lowered a bit. The metal is not necessary, just a beefy exoskeleton.

• Thanks 1

footgoose is correct on the Metal Jacket. :thumbsup:

First thing, look at the serial number and extract the date code. It is the day and year of manufacture. Here is a date code example:
"The serial number…06GCS061250340 shows that the battery was manufactured on the 125th day of 2006 "

If you have the right charger(s), a good voltmeter, and the time and inclination, I would certainly work at the conditioning.  But, equally important, clean and condition your battery terminals and starter connections as well as the nefarious main ground to the gearbox. Caig DeOxit® is Chuck-magic for this operation! :luigi:

[edit: It occurred to me to suggest you inspect the condition of you 30 amp charging fuse. A melted or charred fuse or connections indicates high resistance there and possibly impaired charging.]

8 hours ago, po18guy said:

That's what my bike did last week.  I rode it and then it was too weak to start.  Hopefully that 4A battery charger will help.

58 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

That's what my bike did last week.  I rode it and then it was too weak to start.  Hopefully that 4A battery charger will help.

Definitely a much better charger than your previous! That 13.5 float voltage checks out. Be aware that Odyssey states the PC545 “will not charge” with less than a minimum of 6 amps, so a 4 amp charger is not ideal. Still, that is tons better than the 1/2 - 1.5 amp tricklers.

Using a voltmeter to assess what the state of charge is doing, and how long it holds, is very revealing beyond the little green light.

Odyssey publishes a list of approved chargers.

21 hours ago, docc said:

That is kind of you, Sir. Still, I just took the time to bring some things together from reliable sources and document outcomes.

That right there alone makes you smarter than most.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

Definitely a much better charger than your previous! That 13.5 float voltage checks out. Be aware that Odyssey states the PC545 “will not charge” with less than a minimum of 6 amps, so a 4 amp charger is not ideal. Still, that is tons better than the 1/2 - 1.5 amp tricklers.

Using a voltmeter to assess what the state of charge is doing, and how long it holds, is very revealing beyond the little green light.

Odyssey publishes a list of approved chargers.

I purchased it at Batteries +.  I would assume it's an Odyssey.  I thought it was odd that it started right up when it's cold but after I rode it, it lost it's cranking power on restart.  I'd think the alternator would've done the job.

I notice that my Ducati has Yuasa AGM  and there appears to be no special instructions to charge it.  In fact the Ducati dealer installs pigtails on it's stocked bikes for trickle charging.

Yeah, the Odyssey is a unique animal. These procedures are for the Odyssey. It will perform in ways other AGM will not.

And treating our Odyssey like another manufacturer's AGM can be a formula for disappointment.

• Like 1

Somewhere in the cosmos, it makes perfect sense that the world's quirkiest motorcycle operates best (or not at all) with the quirky battery.  Well, I have 13.10 resting and 14.30 at various RPM. Was it a hissy fit? Who knows? Wish there was a way to check specific gravity - unless that no longer matters in this mystical world of voltage and amperage. 

Am tempted to buy a Yuasa AGM, as those are more "Japanese" I guess.  Still, I'll check the date code and do their arcane conditioning. I thought we were through with that when we tossed NiCad batteries in the bin...

Dig deeper and you’ll find the 6 amp minimum and 12.65v charge threshold.

I’ve seen these things brought back from states that other batteries would not survive.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2019 at 2:33 PM, swooshdave said:

Schauer Charge Master CM6A Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXL2BS4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QwW6CbP2NPGBD

I believe this is th3 least expensive Odyssey approved charger on their list. When I bought it last week it was $62. It’s jumped to $71. 

$61 on e bay today..:-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I purchased it at Batteries +.  I would assume it's an Odyssey.  I thought it was odd that it started right up when it's cold but after I rode it, it lost it's cranking power on restart.  I'd think the alternator would've done the job.

I notice that my Ducati has Yuasa AGM  and there appears to be no special instructions to charge it.  In fact the Ducati dealer installs pigtails on it's stocked bikes for trickle charging.

I had a Pennsylvania-made Yuasa AGM die on me last year. I was beginning to grumble until I checked and found that it had been in service for 9 years. Ooops. 2.5¢ per day/75¢ per month is pretty cheap for reliable starting.

Now to go back through the thread and find the exact procedure. I do have a Schumacher 2/10/40/200 amp charger-starter and decent multimeter. 

Understanding the voltage sequences, and amperage requirements, is key to the care&feeding of an Odyssey PC545. Sure, it means extra care and understanding, but how is that different from caring for a twenty year old (magnificent) Italian motorcycle? :mg: