Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

I was thinking "desulfation" is not recommended for the AGM?

Is the Battery Minder CEC1 on the EnerSys Odyssey list of approved chargers?

It's approved by Enersys, and it also has a setting for Odyssey batteries (which I selected). It automatically went into desulfation mode after the charge period. The manual said it may take up to 2 weeks to desulfate a neglected battery.

Ken 

Here, I understood the typical charger "desulfation" algorithms are not compatible with the AGM. :huh2:

One method I have had great results with is to make sure the battery drops to 12.65v before discharging (lights on) a few minutes, rest a few minutes and bring the voltage up to 14.7v with *at least* 6 amps. Terminate the charge and repeat when the battery statically discharges to 12.65v. (These voltages are at 77ºF/25ºC.)

Once the battery holds its charge above 12.65v@25ºC for two or three weeks, it is showing a reliable State of Charge.

Always discharge before charging . . . :nerd:

Here, I understoodthe "desulfation" algorithms are not compatible with the AGM. :huh2:

One method I have had great results with is to make sure the battery drops to 12.65v before discharging (lights on) a few minutes, rest a few minutes and bring the voltage up to 14.7v with *at least* 6 amps. Terminate the charge and repeat when the battery statically discharges to 12.65v. (These voltages are at 77ºF/25ºC.)

Once the battery holds its charge above 12.65v@25ºC for two or three weeks, it is showing a reliable State of Charge.

Always discharge before charging . . . :nerd:

follow this advice. I did and was successful with my 4 year old battery.

Docc's method worked a treat for me. The Odyssey battery on the Aero Lario had "issues." No more. Discharged it, blasted it with 10 amps for an hour or so. It's been fine ever since.

Getting rid of the "surface charge" is easy. Leave the lights on a few minutes.

(I watch the voltage drop until it stabilizes, then *lights off* and watch while the voltage restabilizes ("rest") before initiating *whatever* charge)

Batteries like exercise! (discharge-charge-discharge-charge), but make sure the volatge(s) and amperage(s) are correct for the AGM.

A discharged AGM (Odyssey) will not charge with less than 14.2v/ 6amps. Verify with a quality VOM. Don't trust the charger!

Observe and measure, also, the "Float" voltage/ amperage specified values.

Thanks again everyone! I'm in the process of doing this according to Odyssey. I discharged the battery tonight and am charging it (It was at 12.6V after being on the expensive Batteryminder charger, which also indicated the Odyssey battery was weak). I'll most likely discharge and charge the battery at least one more time to see if I can save it. The battery is only 3 years old, but I probably did more harm than good using the Battery Tender trickle charge on this over the years.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_Battery_Reconditioning_Charge_Procedure.pdf

ODYSSEY® Battery Reconditioning Charge Procedure Scope:

Lead-acid batteries can develop reduced delivered capacity / performance after prolonged periods of storage, especially if the batteries were not periodically boost charged or left on a float / maintenance charger during the time of storage. The cause of this reduced capacity is the development of sulfation of some of the oxide on the plates. Sulfated oxide is discharged oxide and can be challenging to covert back to charged oxide known as lead-dioxide. Left unconverted, this discharged lead sulfate can develop even more hardened sulfate and could be non-reversible.

Action Procedure:

To hopefully reestablish full deliverable capacity, the following procedure is offered as a “reconditioning charge cycle procedure.”

1. Discharge the battery using the vehicle headlights or connecting some electrical load to the battery and discharge to 10.0V under load measured with a hand-held digital volt meter. Once 10.0V is achieved, disconnect the electrical load or turn off the headlights or other electrical system or device.

2. Begin recharging with an approved charger as listed at www.odysseybattery.com and with appropriate amperage for the capacity of the battery, minimum 40% amperage of the 10 hour capacity rating of the battery. Utilizing chargers that achieve 14.7V during charge and 13.6V in float are ideal. Monitor the batteries terminal voltage with the charger operating to assure 15.0V is not exceeded at any time. Charge the battery until the charging amperage seems to be near zero amps and if the charger has a 13.6V float, float charge for 8-10 hours.

3. If the battery gets hot to the touch(exceeds1250F),stopchargingandallowto cool. Once cool, begin charging again until charge complete.

4. Charging times can be 6-10 hours depending on the charger amperage rating to the amp-hour rating of the battery. As an example, a 10 amp charger on an ODYSSEY PC925 would take approximately 7-8 hours to fully recharge.

5. Performing more than one discharge and recharge cycle is beneficial to increasing restored capacity.

• Like 1