Eleventh South'n Spine Raid 2015

Bill Hagan

Well, I'm a bit worried we're going to get a good blaster.   :(

The weather is looking fine enough for the SSR, but not necessarily for those of us starting out on Thursday from the top of Virginia.

C'est la vavavie.  

Kathi is hard at work packing.  She is troubled by my decree that she can only one bring one hair dryer and my insistence that her cosmetic and toiletries, etc., be kept to one pannier.  With the other and the top case filled with her clothes, that leaves me the tank bag and my pockets.  I'll make do.   :whistle:   

Would prefer run the Norge on SR 42 down the spine of Virginia, but the present plan for our axis of advance -- based a bit on getting behind the front -- is 220/219 to vic. Bluefield, W.V. for first night.  We'll see if the plan survives contact.   ;)

Hope to arrive at the lodge before 5.

Are Walt and Anna serving meals on this weekend?  Supper?  Breakfasts?

If not, is there a supper gathering anywhere?

Bill

I don't mind the fast moving cold fronts ("clippers") as long as we're not sailing within them, it's the stationary fronts that are troubling - Team Pressure Drop :blink:

I haven't talked with Walt about meals, but in recent visits, Anna has worked up a fine breakfast for us on both Saturday and Sunday (a major draw, if you ask me), but we're on our own for supper.

Does The Farmhouse serve an evening meal?

No clue about what Farmhouse even is.

Besides, I'm too busy feeling sorry for myself checking the weather.

But, as the Texas Turnip, Ken Hand, says: "If you watch Weather Channel, you'd never ride."   :notworthy:

And, have you noticed that the various weather services seem never to agree: compare accuweather.com and weather channel for any location for any given day.   :homer:

Be that as it may, looks as we'll launch as planned on Thursday, as an earlier Wednesday departure gets us just as wet and in steamier temps.

Kathi is being more of a trouper about this than I am.  Lucky me.     :wub:

Back to praying about the weather ...  :huh2:

Bill

I just laid in Garmin (.gpx) routes to and from Tellico Plains from middle Tennessee bypassing every possible little town (a personal aversion) and the Loop to Lunch via the butt of the dragon (I never said that! :glare: )  to The Sunset in Franklin, NC,  and the Cherohala *both* directions:  into the sun :sun: and:  into the sun B)  ; /

pm me if you would like me to email you the .gpx (Garmin) files . . .

Not that anyone really cares about the details of our journey, but it's therapeutic to emote about the challenges.   

We are gloomy about the weather.   :( 

Here, we have needed rain.  Badly.

Now it comes. Can’t complain. But.

Were going to launch early tomorrow, take back roads, and spend night about halfway, e.g., Bluefield, W.V.

Now, will hope rain (at least) mostly done tomorrow afternoon or evening and slab it to motel vicinity of Harrisonburg, a mere hour or so away.  

Then, on Friday, do a LONG back-road leg on to Tellico.

Bringing grappa, but I may drink all of it tomorrow night!   :drink: 

Bill

Bet it's not that clean on Friday evening.  Nor your butt as pain-free as now.   :grin:

Beautiful machine, tho.

Bill

I have simply got to take something off my Sport in the next couple days . . . maybe the Boeing valve stem caps . . .  :whistle: 

The frontal boundary, courtesy of our western brethren, is inching through middle Tennessee now and hopefully will pick up speed and be whisked into the Atlantic drawn by the low pressure that was Erika.

Pouring outside now, but we needed it badly.

Breaks seem to appear in Doppler "future" shots, but we will most likely get soaked along the way today, because, as we all know, TWC doesn't coordinate its forecasts with God.  :whistle:

Spent a few minutes earlier, while listening to the roar on the roof, watching this from last year's SSR.  Ah, the memories.   :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8r0tbjmSls&feature=youtu.be

See all tomorrow.

Bill

That's a beautiful photo! Yet, it rather over-represents the visibility at 5,000 feet!

Fabulous time and great roads!

In brief:

20 riders on 19 bikes from 5 states. Eight Moto Guzzi ( five Spines), 2 KTM, 3 BMW, a stunning Ducati, equally stunning Aprilia (JRD!), 2 Triumphs, a Kawi with cf wheels, and a Honda.

Three of the four Spine Raiders from the inaugural event in 2004 were present with two of the original bikes showing over 200,000 miles (Perfesser York's LeMans leading the world at some 114,000 on the original Veglia!)

DSCN3735.jpg

DSCN3797.jpg

• Like 1