The “Fix-it on the Road” Packing List

Scud

So, #1 - my pawl spring did not give any warning whatsoever. #2 - carrying what you need might differ from carrying what you need when riding with six or eight other V11!

Keep this thread going. I've got to pull my kit out and upload some photos to some unreliable hosting site.

I think they should be worthy of local hosting!

After my years here, I think I have used up my allotment for local hosting.

And that's after deleting all the extraneous photos of various libations considered elemental to the V11 experience . . . :drink:

I think they should be worthy of local hosting!

After my years here, I think I have used up my allotment for local hosting. And that's after deleting all the extraneous photos of various libations considered elemental to the V11 experience . . . :drink:

Should always be room for technical assistance photos, quota or no quota. I'm not big on photography so please use mine if you like.

Ok, I apologize in advance. First that this is going to take me several posts (no hijack intentions!), and second, that all the photos are hosted courtesy of imgzeit . . .

Under the seat are two storage ares:

DSCN2413.jpg

In the States, the "tool tray" was delivered with two carbon canisters attached to 20 feet (yes, six meters, 5 pounds(7kg!) of half inch fuel line. I, er, relocated that ; / Now the tool tray holds: 3-4 heavy duty, long zip-ties (steel teeth!), nitrile gloves, 2 shop rags, vehicle documents and coin-of-the-realm zip-locked, (3) sealed Callison wiring diagrams with a doccChart, and a Fresnel lens (some of you know why :oldgit: ______Oh, and the factory tool roll (keep oiled). That's the tool tray:

DSCN2414.jpg

• Like 1

The early tail cowl has a fabric liner that anchors under a trim ring. If you have one, make sure its still sealed. In the tail cowl:

Relays, little zip-ties, spark plugs (usually last year take-offs, currently all new), a plug resistor (or, ideally, a couple spare caps, but I just gave mine away), self-adhering "Extreme Tape," 1157 bulb only (here in the eastern States a headlight bulb or turn signal bulb is never far away 24/7, but I won't ride with out a brake light), relays, tire gauge in bubble wrap, ten spare ATC fuses (even a dinky 30 amp for your bike) and a 30 amp MAXI (with LED fail warning, for my bike), and . . .  let's see, did I mention the relays? ;)  I keep a full complement of five OMRON in a foam bag (for my bike), and , (right now) a couple Bosch and 'big' Siemans (for your bike B) ). Always carry extra relays for you and your buddy, all five blade. Get rid of the four pins - :oldgit:

DSCN2415.jpg

• Like 1

News flash:  Docc's secret stash revealed.

This is not hijacking...  sharing is caring.

I take that as being granted a wide berth for behavior by the OP! :grin:

Much of this I learned from being in league with capable riders, well prepared. So, from here, I've got to get out the Tekno panniers and see what we find . . .

(I'm still trying figure how to get all this stuffed back in those little places under the seat. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hey, before we put the seat back on, consider making some labels for your relays, and what the fuses actually do. The fuse chart is just ink printed, laminated in packing tape and taped upside down so its visible leaning over the mount-side of the bike.

DSCN2416.jpg

DSCN2417.jpg

• Like 1

Right (offside) pannier lined with a heavy trash bag: "Slime" compressor, Progressive tapered tire plugs (amazing! - a quantum leap beyond the "beef jerky" rope plugs), jumper cables, siphon hose, volt-ohm meter, vacuum caps with zipper pull parts, butane lighter, spare custom molded ear plugs, Leatherman tool, safety wire, metric hex drive set, pens (including a red Sharpie to scribe times and vital signs on the skin), five feet of 12 gauge electrical wire.

*Disclaimer* - Please don't do anything that makes me write on you with my Sharpie :huh:

DSCN2418.jpg

• Like 1

Left (the "downside", as the bike's always leaned over toward you on the side of the road. I learned to be mindful of this as your tools could slide out onto the fog stripe when you zip the case open . . .like mine might have :whistle: )

Simple faceshield service: 1) washcloth wetted with water, a little liquid soap, and a douse of white vinegar closed up in a zip-lock and  rolled around a clean, dry washcloth; Fog Proof cloth for faceshield/glasses from Scotts or Smith - the goggle people; Tool roll with combination wrenches 8mm and 10-14. locking needle nose (AKA temporary foot lever), 6" Channel locks, wire cutters, more zip-ties, more nitrile gloves (for you!), another shop-rag-in-a-bag, strips of leather, a length of hack saw blade (combined with locking pliers makes a saw!), electrical test light, gaffer's (electrical) tape, and a crosshead screwdriver ground for bite ("Phillip's head" screwdrivers are designed to cam out of the screw head commonly tearing the screw head especially on removal. Which is exactly what we're up to "Fixin' it on the Road!")

Oh, and a corkscrew. She'll thank you for this! :wub:

DSCN2420.jpg

You guys don't think all this kit might be affecting my fuel economy or tire wear? :blink:

Forgot to mention the lights. Princeton Tec tactical LED headband with retractable red lens (3 AAA batteries),  and an Infinity TaskLight that will light its single white LED on one burned out AA. I've used dead batteries out of other devices and still had light (zipped to an ALICE clip):

DSCN2421.jpg

- thanks for looking. like. share .  .  .  :D 

No, really, the better kit you and I travel with, the quicker we get off the side of road! :luigi: