The “Fix-it on the Road” Packing List

Scud

- thanks for looking. like. share .  .  .  :D

No, really, the better kit you and I travel with, the quicker we get off the side of road! :luigi:

Well, that is ANSWERING the original question with credibility, conviction, and completeness.

I'll be traveling sans-luggage, but there are a bunch of things from your post (and others leading up to it) that I will figure out how to squirrel away under-seat.

You and your kit remind me of the sweep riders on the dual-sport events that I ride. I imagine that more than one stranded South'n Spine Raid rider has mistaken your silver V11 for an angel.

• Thanks 1

I noticed Docc used a battery strap over the tool tray - and whaddya know? My bike has unused hooks there too. Bonus - the BikeMaster tire repair kit fits perfectly in there - and there's lots of extra room in that zippered case - and the seat still closes.  Tail section on mine is different - and the tool roll fits there.  

IMG_2694.jpg

I've still got all kinds of room for fuses, towels, shift return spring, multi-tool, etc.....

FWIW - I got a great dirt-bike tool kit from themotostop.com for my dirt bike. They sell street tool kits too.  Battery strap $14 and spring $10 at MG Cycle.

FWIW, the nylon siphon hose was so gummy and funky, I could not put it back aboard. I suppose I'll add a length of fuel line instead.

Nylon + fuel = ugh :angry:

so now we know the best stuff to take how about some knowledgeable persons put together a 'what to do' type list if a breakdown happens? imagine there I am taking in a lovely Swiss vista, I return to the bike and he presto no start, what to do/check? is there a quick and dirty way to say bypass the side stand in an emergency? etc..For riding further afield, say a Euro trip would it be useful to take a timing sensor? I understand that if it fails the bike won't run, did I mention a Euro trip is on the cards :whistle:  :race:  

so now we know the best stuff to take how about some knowledgeable persons put together a 'what to do' type list if a breakdown happens? imagine there I am taking in a lovely Swiss vista, I return to the bike and he presto no start, what to do/check? is there a quick and dirty way to say bypass the side stand in an emergency? etc..For riding further afield, say a Euro trip would it be useful to take a timing sensor? I understand that if it fails the bike won't run, did I mention a Euro trip is on the cards :whistle:  :race:  

Touring Europe by V11 sounds great. Will you work in a few laps of the Nurburgring?

I've got the spring, fuses, light-sticks, and a few other goodies from this thread on the way, will get a taillight bulb too (safety first) - and some more stuff to figure out (like relays). I like Docc's idea of labeling the relays - so if something is not working, you could easily check and/or replace the related bits.

Of course, a well maintained bike is the first line of defense, but a few common failures - and related roadside remedies - might make a nice new topic, or an extension of this one. Now that we know what to bring, do we know when and how to use it? Like the punch-line in the old mechanics joke - he doesn't get paid to turn the screw, he gets paid to know which screw to turn.

Only had to trailer home once in 92,757 miles when I let one of the yellow wires break coming from the stator under the alternator cover. The dying Hawker got me about halfway home . . . :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Docc you must be doing something right, trailered home once in all that mileage, amazing,off out to garage later to whip off my cover!!!

scud no plans to go to Germany this time, across France then a few days playing in the stunning Swiss mountains,crossing some big passes ,love to do Stelvio in to Italy, pop to museum at Mandello then on to Lake Garda to meet rest of family for our 2 week holidays☺

I wired in a usb point so I can put a charge on my phone if needed.

That was well-timed advice for me. I was just about to wire in a Battery Tender connector and a specialty Garmin wire for my GPS (which also has a USB port). Then I liked your USB idea and... we have a wiring challenge... (at least for me).

The good gnus: I rigged one wire that does it all. I got the standard Battery Tender quick-connect for the battery, then I cut then the plug off, connected it to a Battery Tender extension cable that had a plug and cap on the other end and ran it up the spine to behind the headlight. Battery Tender makes a USB adapter that plugs in where you'd otherwise plug the charger - I can remove it when not in use or use it on other bikes.

So maybe it's a little thing - but I am stoked (especially that I now have USB port to use on all three bikes if I want it - without any extra wiring on the other two bikes). With the RAM mount on the handle bar, I can have power to my GPS (or my phone with a different RAM cradle).

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but a GPS is a good "make-it-home" device for me. It's almost essential on the dirt bike (which is where I learned to appreciate it). On the street, if gives me the freedom to explore new roads (and leave a trail of electronic "bread crumbs" so I can backtrack if needed) - and a way to find out where the closest gas station is (and get directions), even without phone service.

IMG_2755.jpg

Given that my bike was in a "time-capsule" for 12 years, I thought I'd share a list of fuses and relays used on mine (2002).

Fuses:

• 5A - three
  • 10A - one
  • 15A - three
  • 30A - one

Of the five relays, it looks like there are three different types:

• Two of these: Tyco, V23073-B1005-A302, 12V
  • Two of these: 161, 12V, Siemens A-1001-A402
  • One of these: ++01722A, 12V, Tyco, A1001-A403

Dig It.  I too am planning to scoot merrily towards Como this year.

I thought praps: Dover - Cologne - Nurburgring - Dijon - Como...  3 days ish, a-campin all t'way.

Maybe Ljubljana??  Maybe Munich??  Either ways, s'gotta be reet good no?

Scud- Also diggin your wiring sneakiness!  My battery has about a billion ( i counted em) wires sprouting from the terminals.  Every time I pop the seat and am greeted by the memory of fastening it up (spark -arg!) my nervous system shudders... :ninja:

With regard to the relays: Should it matter much what make they are?   ... however, didn't tyco make board games ... like 'ker-plunk' n such? :whistle:

Scud- Also diggin your wiring sneakiness!  My battery has about a billion ( i counted em) wires sprouting from the terminals.  Every time I pop the seat and am greeted by the memory of fastening it up (spark -arg!) my nervous system shudders... :ninja:

With regard to the relays: Should it matter much what make they are?   ... however, didn't tyco make board games ... like 'ker-plunk' n such? :whistle:

My Husqvarna is a wiring nightmare, trying to learn from my mistakes.  While I was in there, I also put in longer battery terminal screws. The stockers were probably only grabbing a couple threads as-is. BTW - if you prop the battery up at an angle you will have a direct line for your screw or nut-driver. Easy-peasy.

On the relays, brand probably doesn't matter, IDK. I just copied everything printed on them. They are literally and figuratively "black boxes" to me. I figure an extra one of each type under the seat is cheap insurance.

Tyco could be the same company. Ker-plunk is just like wiring. It's very hard to see how everything is connected... and if you pull the wrong one you lose.

• Like 1

Yeah, well . . . the V11 relays are critical components.  Ditch all the 4 pins, get the 5 pin OMRONS.

Clean your ignition switch, don't let your battery terminals get loose, or your main ground fail. Look at that 30 amp regulator fuse.

Did I say OMRON relays?