The “Fix-it on the Road” Packing List

Scud

Sheesh! You had me up late looking for my "emergency blanket" and made me realize how many things I move from the Jeep to the panniers for a long ride (like my first aid kit).

A small can of CRC Electronics Cleaner is brilliant for cleaning contacts, loosening stuck stuff, and cleaning up those pesky oil leaks that Guzzi riders seem so compelled to point out. :blush:

Docc, are you the hipster or the guy with the feigned surprised look? ;)
  • Haha 1

I added Scud's throttle cable experience to the Tank Off Maintenance Checklist; not that the tank actually has to be off to do it.

While thinking over all the incidents of Ridus Interuptus I have experienced over the years with my V11 and others, it occurred to that everyone should work through that maintenance checklist, especially before a big ride. It addresses most of the issues that could strand your V11.

1 spare wheel bearing, I lost one on the EV last summer

Roy - I was just re-reading this and your month-old post caught my eye. That's an interesting idea. It's not a very big part, so it would be easy to carry. Is that something that can replaced roadside? If not, having the part on board would at least make it possible get the bike repaired after a short truck ride - instead of either needing to tow it all the way home or try to find the part wherever you happen to be when it goes bad.

For clarification - you're talking about the bearing(s) in the wheel, right? Not the needle bearing that's in the final drive housing?

Yes the wheel bearing. One went on my EV, part of the cage was hanging out. Surprisingly the bike was quite happy to continue on for another 60 odd miles until I came to a bike shop that had a bearing, by that time there were 6 balls and no cage. You could drive the bearing out with a screwdriver and a rock but I think it would be good to travel a bit further to some kind of shop. Although the bearings are a common one it's always hard to find them on a weekend,

OK.  I'd appreciate to know a little more about wheel bearings.  It strikes me every time you put a tire on a bike, you can inspect and service the wheel bearings and should be good to go to the next tire change.  Am I wrong?

I know I had a wheel bearing fail on my 5th Wheel travel trailer, that was a total disaster.  

• Like 1

OK.  I'd appreciate to know a little more about wheel bearings.  It strikes me every time you put a tire on a bike, you can inspect and service the wheel bearings and should be good to go to the next tire change.  Am I wrong?

I think you are right (at least as often as I go through tires!)

That said, I had a rear bearing go between tires. I would have caught it if I didn't think, "I'll get another few hundred miles out of this tire - just watch!" :homer:

• 2 weeks later...

Grappa. Don't forget the grappa . . .

If it doesn't give you vertical nystagmus, you can  always use it as a fuel additive. :grin::drink:

• 3 months later...

In another thread, PDoz just recommended a cable repair kit to thread new wire into the throttle cable sheath in case of breakage. Thought I'd cross reference it here along with a link to a kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Gremlin-GG150-Cable-Repair/dp/B008U9HO0C/ref=pd_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=06330BBBHS3NNTWX18GT

This is certainly a "fix it on the road" item.