The “Fix-it on the Road” Packing List

Scud

Only the front ("starter") relay is 5-pin. But, 5-pins will fit everywhere with no modifications.

It's my thinking that if a 4-pin gets put forward on a switch-around, the troubles are compounded.

Get rid of all your 4-pins. Install the very best relays available. Carry a full set of extras, and extras for your buddies. Make sure your relay contacts are clean and tight.

I used to label my relays, but when they get switched around, replaced, or shared - the labels are compromised. So, Iabel the positions on the tail section next to the relays.

Know your relays! Give them some love! :wub:

OK Docc - I am going to see if I "know my relays" please correct or complete my understanding. Loving them seems a bit premature; we just got introduced a few hours ago...

I see five sockets that appear to be the same. They all have the same part number 3334458045, but each one has another number at the bottom - from left to right (which is back to front on the bike), they are: 4, 4, 2, 6, 7.

IMG_2746.jpg

The two left-hand, smaller relays are the same and their sockets both have 4s, so they are interchangeable for sure. The next two are the same (but different than the first two). The fifth one is unique - the little wiring diagram on it shows 5 connections, so this must be a 5-pin.

You are saying that:

1. One type of 5-pin connector can be used in all 5 sockets: the Omron part #G8HN-1C2T-R DC12 that comes up when I follow your link.
  2. Do not replace the sockets (the jigsaw-blocks that the relays plug into). This is Zooter's question.
  3. Replace all my stock relays with the Omron units or voracious vultures will circle ominously overhead while I ride through the desert.
  4. Carry a full set of 5 more. (Are they so prone to failure that I need to have so many on hand?)
  5. I should find some more V11 owners to go riding with.

BTW - I disconnected the battery before pulling them out to get a closer look (and then plugging them all the way in - they were pretty loose as shown in the pic). Is it safe to swap them with the ignition off and the battery still connected?

Your picture in post 22 of this thread does appear to have all 5 relays the same. They are labeled S, I, N, ECU, and FI. Can we cheat off your homework or do we have to do our own? I think I can guess what what 3, (maybe 4) of the labels mean, but do you mind explaining all 5 just for certainty? Can we assume ours are in the same order?

Dang, that's a lot of questions...

Soooo , I hope I haven't dug too many deep holes here . . .

First, let me say PyroDan ( http://www.dpguzzi.com/ ) is a true gentleman and has provided excellent service to the Guzzi community for many years. A real unsung hero! :notworthy:  I've gotten relays from Dan, both Bosch and GEI. The last relays I recall him offering (at a great price and convenience) were the Chinese GEI. Some years back a member here (Ryland3210) disassembled both the GEI and the OMRON and did an extensive report on their internal construction. I thought his work very competent and have used OMRON since (7 years/43,000 miles/69.000 km). I do carry extras, but have never seen an OMRON failure.

The labels on my tail cowl: S(tart), L(ights),  N(eutral), ECU, FI (fuel injection. Adding these labels and the complete fuse description next to the components will get you ( or your buddies) off the side of road much quicker than googling the owner's manual. And, yeah, I believe all the relays are in the same order for the entire V11 series.

I'll post this and look back at Scud's post above to see how much more homework I've got. :nerd:

EDIT/ 07 February 2017: *Best* relay: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19755&p=216605

Alright, almost done, then:

Only the front/first/Starter relay is 5-pin. All the rest will work on 4-pins. But IMHO there is no reason to chance that a 4-pin might get rotated into the first position and complicate a road side circumstance. The 5-pin will seat in every position, simply not making contact with the fifth (center) pin.

I cannot count the spare relays I've carried that are running around in other folks' V11s . . . :luigi:

A far as choosing to use OMRON and carrying spares - why skimp? They're not very expensive, really, and positions #1 and #2 likely the single most failure prone issue in the V11.

For the 5 question quiz then:

1. Yes, but G8HE (High Current)

2. No, no need to replace the sockets, but Kiwi_Roy reminds us that the connections must be clean and tight.

3. Some places I ride, the vultures are the least of my worries . . . honestly, there are members here who running their original Siemans with no trouble. Yet, many of us routinely use the highest quality fuels, lubricants, and components available regardless of cost. I extend this philosophy to the relays.

4. With the bases clean and tight, and quality relays in place, you're *probably* good to go. Spares are cheap and easy to store.

5. Yes, by all means! For the record, I started the South'n Spine Raid back in 2004 because I'd only ever seen one other V11 and my dealer (125 miles away) had closed up shop like Pressed Rat and Warthog. The Spine Raid has been a crucible of V11 experience.  :o

Re: "BTW" - Yes, you can take the relays out with the ignition off without disconnecting the battery. Pull them straight up and out! Don't wiggle or waller as this can spread the connections in the bases (the bases themselves are mounted loosely, but the connections to the relays' spades should be tight, or follow the link above to Kiwi_Roy's Relay Base method).

I hope teacher doesn't keep me after school . . . :blink:

• Like 1

Thanks - I ordered 7 Omrons. 5 as replacements and 2 spares. I'll keep the current 5-pin relay as a 3rd under-seat backup, and ditch the quad-pins. It's not the small expense (heck, I spent more than that changing silver bolts to black ones on my bike for no functional reason whatsoever) - just really trying to understand anything that I change. I like the simplicity of all five relays being the same part number. Knowing that two of these are likely to fail - and now having a plan to have extras on the bike puts me in a better position to "fix it on the road." 

What was that saying I saw somewhere?  "Moto Guzzi - making motorcyclists into electricians for over 50 years."- or something like that. I guess it's better than "Lucas Electric, the prince of darkness."

It would be cool to "spine-raid" with you all - but that's a long way from here...  We need a "surf'n spine raid."

• Like 1

Aww, shucks . . . you're too kind . . . :blush:

I haven't forgot about the suggestion we have a thread for en route troubleshooting. I've learned so, so much from the people on this forum, and the ten Spine Raids, that I hope to keep it archived for easy access.

These are not terribly complicated or unreliable bikes, but they do not suffer neglect well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the ideas. I got my kit in pretty good order and got it all to fit under the seat. A few specific things I added because of this topic:

• Shift return spring
  • Fuses
  • Relays
  • Cone-type tire plugs (instead of the beef-jerky-look-alike ropes)
  • Light Sticks
  • Leatherman multi-tool - which is smaller, lighter, and far superior to the stock pliers, which I removed.
  • Tire pressure gauge

Here's hoping I don't need to break into too frequently, but it's good to know it's all there.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought we might consider carrying on in this thread with posts of what to do on the road in the event of Ridus Interuptus. :o

More for reference than story-telling, although the mix often makes for the best of winter reading!

It's Scud's thread, so it's your call, buddy: carry on with Road Repairs, or start a new thread?

I thought we might consider carrying on in this thread with posts of what to do on the road in the event of Ridus Interuptus. :o

More for reference than story-telling, although the mix often makes for the best of winter reading!

It's Scud's thread, so it's your call, buddy: carry on with Road Repairs, or start a new thread?

I just threw out the question to get us started. My question has been answered beyond my expectations, and I don't feel any need to make rules about where it goes from here.

Some stories about actually using what you carry to fix it and make it home sounds like fun though. Perhaps the stories will jog someone's memory about something else to add to their kit.

The idea for this thread came to me for two reasons:

1. I carry a lot on my dirt bike - in fact, I try to do all my at-home maintenance with only the tools I carry. I haven't had to spend the night in the woods or desert yet - but I also carry stuff in case I have to - food, water, plastic poncho, mylar emergency blanket, lighter, etc..
  2. I had to fix the Scura on the road within a few days of getting it.

I wrote about my Scura misadventure in another thread already, but here's the summary:

The bike was idling higher and higher at each stop light - and it got up to about 3,000 or 4,000 RPM. So I shut it off, twisted the throttle wide open and released it several times. Then started the bike again. It instantly revved to redline. Hit the kill switch and pushed it out of traffic. The problem turned out to be that the grease on the throttle linkage had hardened (the bike was in storage 12 years and this was within the first few miles of putting it back on the road). I used the stock tool kit to disconnect some linkage and isolate the problem - which was on the left side. Luckily, this was next to an auto parts store, so I bought some penetrating lube, worked it in and rode it home (instead of needing to load the bike in a truck).

Not a terribly interesting story or complicated repair, but maybe somebody's now thinking "When's the last time I lubed my throttle linkage?" or "Should I throw a little lube in my kit?" or "Can I fit a plastic-bag poncho under the seat?"

Sheesh! You had me up late looking for my "emergency blanket"  and made me realize how many things I move from the Jeep to the panniers for a long ride (like my first aid kit).

A small can of CRC Electronics Cleaner is brilliant for cleaning contacts, loosening stuck stuff, and cleaning up those pesky oil leaks that Guzzi riders seem so compelled to point out. :blush:

lookdad.jpg