Tyres

cash1000

Hi

Just had a pair of Metzler Z8's fitted to my RM and have noticed the front tyre has been fitted the wrong way around i.e. the arrow on tyre wall is pointing backwards when its at top. We have some discussion when I picked up whether it was correct way around. The shop said new tyre was fitted in same direction as old one.It will be going back to get fitted the correct way around. Anyway my question is what happens if you run tyres fitted the  wrong way? If old tyre was fitted in wrong direction the answer is not a lot!

If you live in the Southern Hemisphere you're supposed to mount them backwards to account for the difference in gravitational effects of the earth's rotation. This is why water goes the other way around the drain down there too.

Seriously - I don't know any useful information. But I figure if there's an arrow for rotation that there must be a valid reason for it. Maybe someone smarter and less sarcastic can help you.

• Like 2

The rain grooves will suck water under you instead of pumping it away, something like that but less dramatic :)

That qualifies as "useful information."  :thumbsup:

can you just put the wheel on the other way? I don't think the front wheel has a L or R side.

Is there not a funny spacer spigot thing that would necessitate bearing removal to reverse.

My 2001 Sport has asymmetric rims/spokes, you couldn't flip them around,

You should have the tire remounted.  The Michelin rear tire was mounted backwards on my Bandit.  It didn't quite "feel right" when I was running around the Ozarks at the RAT Raid a couple of years ago.  I noticed it when another bike I was riding with had the same tire and noticed my tread was pointed backwards vs his. Word got back to the shop owner who was also at the Rally (the Triumph dealer at the time).  He came up to and said he'd give me a new tire when I got back to OKC.  I didn't even ask him. He came to me and did what he said he'd do.

The tire felt "Soft".  Like it was more Cadillac that Corvette.  Not really the best feel for mountain roads. Seems to have a better ride but not quite sharp handling.  Maybe it was all in my head but I would bet the tire would've warn out quicker.

What a load of bollocks, mount them with direction arrow  as the MANUFACTURER says don't you think they cover all problems in product testing , never have a problem and believe me it can rain pretty hard it tropical QLD PS I get the best all round performance from Michy pilots