Tyres

cash1000

If manufacturer puts an arrow on the tyre then that's the way you fit them. If shop fitted it wrong way round they dunno what they're doin.

My understanding is that tread is designed specifically to suit braking, cornering, acceleration, water dispersal functions for each wheel. Tyre won't work or wear correctly if it's mounted back to front.

Years back we had universal tyres, with arrows pointing both ways - for rear or front fitment. Used to run Tonti on 110 front & rear, switching ends when it was part worn to max life. Cheapskate. It didn't help handling. I understood that the internal construction of the tyre was designed to best withstand braking forces on front, & when turned round accelerative forces on rear. Dunno. As I recall, tread pattern on TT100, Roadrunner & then Phantoms was symmetrical. I think first front/rear specific tyre I had was Metzeler ME33/99. 

can you just put the wheel on the other way? I don't think the front wheel has a L or R side.

The 2001's have different size bearings (I.D. is different), so the wheels aren't reversible. I found this out the hard way when I bought new bearings, but MG Cycle sent the proper RS bearing to correct this. I believe 2002 or 2003 is when they switched to the same bearing on each side, but the axles and spacers are different, IIRC.

I suppose you could swap the L&R bearings, but you might as well have the shop put the tire on the proper way at no charge, as it would be less work. Might as well do it the right way.Their excuse of the previous tire being on backwards is lame, and they should just do it properly. I assume you're paying them to do it the right way, and not the wrong way? I like asking the question: "Is this your best work"? That usually shuts people up...

Ken