Disassemble the fuel door for powder coating

Scud

I was motivated to do this for cosmetic reasons. The silver fuel door just seemed wrong on the Scura - and I could not find a black billet replacement. But then I noticed that the paint was peeling pretty badly and got to wondering if those big flakes of paint would be bad for the petcock or fuel pump on the way to the filter.

Couldn't find any other info on this, so I took these pics to give myself a chance at putting it back together after powder-coating, where it currently is. The "after" pictures will have to wait a while...

To take it apart:

1) Remove 6 outside bolts and one inside bolt. Maybe cover the hole so you don't drop a tool or part in the tank. There is a large base and some gaskets to set aside - nothing tricky (tricks come later.)

2) Take off the latch and seal (red and black bit), revealing more little parts, including 4 tiny springs and a thin plate. (Note that springs and other tiny parts do not roll off towels).

IMG_2735.jpg

3) Pry up the dark metal piece and remove the rubber gasket beneath it.

IMG_2736.jpg

Here's the part that was tricky to me - getting the lock out.

4) Pry out the O-ring from the bottom and get ready to catch two thin metal washers. Then pry out the top rubber fitting (which has a couple feety-hook-things - a little lube will help ease it out and be sure you don't tear it.)

IMG_2737.jpg

edit: do not remove the top rubber fitting as shown in the photo. It should come out (and go back in) with the lock cylinder.

5) Compress the little retaining tab into the lock cylinder and remove it from the cap. One pic shows where to access it, the other shows it removed.

IMG_2738.jpg  IMG_2745.jpg

I left three parts assembled for powder coating: the base-ring, the fuel-door, and the flippy-lock-cover-tab (which probably has a real name). There are some retaining pins, and spring-actuated balls holding these three parts together, but I decided not to take them apart.

Edited by Scud

Google Oberon fuel caps and see what you come up with .  I got mine off eBay at a much discounted price . All color combinations w/o a lock .

I've been looking for a fuel cap without a lock, can you tell me which one you ordered please

I did a quick search and didn't see anything about Moto Guzzi. I'd appreciate a part number too - maybe even a pic on the bike... Perhaps you could add it to a different thread I started about replacing the fuel door.

For now, the powder-coating is basically free, because I took in a bunch of small parts that, together, still only reach the minimum charge for the shop. 

Here's the finished product.

IMG_2766.jpg

It's missing two bolts, which the powder-coater must have misplaced. I didn't know they could do the bolt heads and was planning to replace them anyway. The ones they lost are cosmetic, it's only held on with four bolts (one of which is inside) - so no big loss. At least they did not lose any important parts from the rest of my order. 

If I had it to over again I would have masked the bottom surfaces (I removed the coating to get a good fit) and the area that the lock cylinder goes through (it fit fine, but was a little snug).

A billet one may still be in my future, but I do like the look of the flat black powder coat.  :ninja:

The shop (North County Powder Coating in San Marcos, CA) took great care of me and included a little bag of bolts in another run of flat black. All back together now.

IMG_2784.jpg