Sport 1100 / Daytona / Daytona RS Gas tank on V11

FalcoLion

I don't know if it will sound crazy but I am wondering if Sport 1100 / Daytona / Daytona RS Gas tank will fit V11.

Any comments from people in the know will be welcomed. Also, does anyone know if Sport 1100 / Daytona / Daytona RS Gas tank had external or internal Fuel Pump?

From what I understand V11 was a successor to Sport 1100 / Daytona / Daytona RS and supposedly Main Spine frames are either same or very similar.

Another question I have is in regards to the engine differences between 2-Valve Sport 1100/V11 and 4-Valve Daytona/Daytona RS. Do these engines only differ by top ends, such as cylinder heads with top ends? Do they have identical bottom parts? In other words, if the bottoms are same, would it be feasible to get different camshaft, cylinders and valvetrain to convert 2V into 4V.

I know these questions might sound a little weird but I have some project in mind and need to see if its doable at all.

Basically 2003+ V11 have much more superior gearbox and rear drive then Sport 1100/Daytona/Daytona RS. So, if the gas tank fits it would be a better decision to convert V11 into Sport 1100 and keeping all factory improvements of V11 including a 6 speed gearbox and other improvements

Thanks in advance for answers from everyone with such a knowledge

Daytonas definitely have an external fuel pump, same as pre-2003 V11s. Not sure about the Daytona fuel tank fitting your V11- I am sure it is possible but you may end up changing other parts like the seat unit to help make it fit.

Would probably be easier and cheaper to slot in a complete Daytona / Centauro engine in place of your V11 motor, rather than try and work out what you need to do to mate the 4 valve top end onto your V11 crankcase. You could then sell your V11 engine to part fund this.

I know a few others on this forum have done exactly this and can probably advise how it is done.

Cheers

Guy

I can't advise you regarding the mechanics with the mechanics, but I do recall seeing some detailed topics about the engine swap, as Guzzirider mentioned.

FWIW, I read this regarding the 1200 Sport when they changed from 2V to 4V engines:

"Both engine and gearbox are very smooth, but it doesn’t have the grunt of the older 95bhp two-valve motor, which used to be in this bike. It does have more top-end power if you’re prepared to rev it, though. For a machine like this, which despite its ‘Sport’ tag prefers to cruise rather than scratch, we think Guzzi should have left the old engine in."

Full review:  http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/moto-guzzi/1200-sport/2008/

I don't know if the 1200 Sport has the same engine as the Daytona - so hopefully this is not off-topic for you. However, it has a 4V engine and a 6-speed, which sounds like what you are looking for.

Thank you for your replies but additional replies are welcomed.

By the way from what I understand a new 1200CC 4V will not fit into Spine frame. In addition its seems that transmission is completely different. I am sure someone has knowledge about all my questions.

By the way I know I would have to change the seat area and I don't care about it cause if I go ahead with the project, I will be changing rear seat sub-frame and from instrument cluster sub-frame as well.

Hoping someone can chime in with some better answers. Pete, DOCC, anyone?

Thanks in advance

The spine frames from the Daytona and Sport 1100 are very similar to the two different (but also similar) V11 frames. There were also several variations in the triple clamp geometry. While the forward tank mount is also very similar, the rear of the tank actually bolts to the seat subframe which is something you may plan to change anyway. Seems to me the tank could be "fitted."

All fuel pumps prior to the 2003 V11 tank (without chin pad) were external pumps/filters AFAIK.

The Centauro spine frame was also similar and carried the Daytona-type V10 4V high-cam motor. Others have put V10 motors in later spine frames, but I've never heard of anyone converting a V11 2V motor to a V10 4V. Agreed with others, better to get a complete motor. I have not heard of anyone trying to fit a later (2005-on) motor into the Spine Frame.

So, the design spec would be to create a Nuovo Daytona on a later spine frame with the 6speed gearbox? There may be some value to studying Ghezzi-Brian's similar approaches.

I like this idea. I think we should all really coax and encourage you! :thumbsup::notworthy::mg:

Docc,that is the idea. 

Ghezzi-Brian has a very nice "Dr. John’s Guzzi 8V Tribute" that could be based on any of the following Daytona/Centauro/Sport 1100. But as most of us know V11 and especially a later ones, 2003 and later, have a much better 6 speed gearbox and all together a better drivetrain. So, my idea is to get a cheap, possibly crashed V11, and use it as a basis for conversion. I would use Mike Rich pistons and Crankshaft and do maybe as much as possible to completely rebuild the engine and get more power out of it. Obviously if somehow I would find 4V lump, I would buy that and swap it with V11 powerplant. I think going this direction way makes more sense.

Paul Minnaert (www.fastguzzi.nl) has turned his Daytona to a very similar bike. But Paul had to re-engineer on how to mount V11 gearbox to Daytona. I think going with V11 makes the situation a bit easier because of better availability and price wise a cheaper alternative.

I love the way Ghezzi-Brian bodywork looks. Because going to "Dr. John’s Guzzi 8V Tribute" requires replacement of rear seat sub-frame, as well as front instrument/front fairing sub-frame, I wanted to make sure from know-how people if Sport 1100/Daytona tank fits on V11.

As for the front end, I would replace forks with Aprilia/Ducati Ohlins or some nice Suzuki ones with radial brakes. As for wheels I am doing some research to see who can still make rims for the rear. Obviously if the company would make the rear wheel, then for sure they would make the front wheel for any of the modern Aprilia/Ducati/Suzuki, etc bikes

I am not ready cause I haven't found one cheap Guzzi yet but I have my eyes on one with approx. 27K miles.

For now I will be happy with my Coppa.

Outside of the Original RedFrame Sport, in silver *of course* :rolleyes: , I think the Coppa Italia is the pinnacle of the V11 series. (Oh, please: don't link me to all the other v11 I also love :blush:  . . . like tennis, and champagne LeMans, and . . .

Yet, the prospect of a FalcoDaytona? I pledge the entire support of the forum! (Something, by the way, I have no authority to do whatsoever B) )

So, is it the look of the original bodywork you're after? Or must it also have the Daytona V10 motor?

The rear of the V11 tank fastenes with a single vertical bolt into the rear subframe ahead of the battery. How does the earlier steel tank bolt up?

• 4 weeks later...