Generic Oil Filter ok?

Zooter

A lot of debate on this I would not use a auto filter on a bike.

NAPA sells PS (power sport) filters an do have one for our guzzies.

The PS is supposed to allow more oil flow, and with all the discussion on low oil flow, how to check the oil and windage plates,

I just would not chance it.

There has been a lot of discussion about oil and filters, as there should be. One member (Ryland3210) did some fairly extensive investigation of the gaskets and gasket compression over the concern that filters can back off (see FAQ Oil Filter Installation). Some aspersions have been cast upon the factory choice of UFI.

Personally, I've used WIX 51215 for a very long time, tightening 1 and 1/8 turns after gasket contact.

I wonder how increased flow could be achieved without decreased filtration?

I don't know.

How much filtration is required? Must be a industry standard that must be met.

Would it be necessary to exceed that?

O NOOOOOOOOO this is turning into a oil thread.

I use a PS filter because it makes me feel good, and I hose clamp it.

I wonder how increased flow could be achieved without decreased filtration?

Surface area is the other variable - more pleats, plates, (or whatever) increases the surface area so it is possible to have more flow and better filtration. I assume that more internal filter material translates into higher cost - and I am suspicious that the inverse is true with store-brand products.

As for me, I always use the recommended, or other generally accepted aftermarket filters. To me, it's not worth taking a chance to save a couple bucks.

I don't buy my oil filters based on price. I buy them as insurance to keep my motorcycles running and as such an extra dollar or two for a better quality filter is money well spent. There are a few ways a lower quality filter could cause damage to your prized machine, filter material failure, relief valve failure, gasket failure, etc.

If you want to know how well a filter is made cut it apart. I have cut a few apart and after doing so I use either Wix or NAPA Gold filters.

An oil filter is such a stupid thing to save a couple dollars on.

I did read up a little on filters awhile ago. If I remember, flow rate vs available pressure vs filtered size of particle about covers what is expected. Want more flow, use a bigger unit.

A diesel motor is far more stressed than any bike engine so my take on "power filters" for bikes is, yeah whatever. Sure there will be some modern researched slightly improved flow rate materials. Enable a smaller filter / more flow for a given particle size and clogging rate. The free lunch looks extremely hard to find.

The real question is, does the parts store list by capabilities or simply the physical dimensions?

Reading linked threads winds up with a rachet_hack diversion, can't be arsed reading that.. Gathered the main issue with filters is having enough gasket thickness relative to the compression and subsequent clearance to the rim, due to Guzzi not allowing for slight variability and in fact specc'ing a filter that can hit the sump when only just compressed to industry norm.

What are common dimensions of filters that wind on nicely? If I can run a ruler over the gasket and eyeball it on the bench before committing to buying it, I'm streets ahead.

Wouldnt trust the parts store to make that decision Zooter. Guzzi Twin to a 4cyl Hilux?  The key question is does the bypass spring allow the pressure available in the Guzzi to actuate it.

Surface area/flow importance is increased as you modify (pods need the most as typically they let in way more crap) but most compatible filter designs are adequate provided they get changed with every oil change.

And do not forget to remove any paper on the filter, also in a oil bath on a cheep filter will the paint stay on?

You will know when the oil light flickers, and the sump screen is choking oil flow that it didn't.

Your bike, you decide. 

I don't know that considering alternative filters is about price as much as availability. UFI are a hassle for me to get hold of.

Buying a generic house brand filter would be as much about price as anything else I would think. In today's day and age it is simple enough to buy them via the internet and they will show up at your house a few days later. There are more than a few quality filter brands out there that make filters for our Guzzi's. Any one of them should be easy enough to get with just a little planning.