Generic Oil Filter ok?

Zooter

Wound up ordering a windage plate and service kit from Gutsibits, so a UFI oil filter will have to do.

Perhaps you could cancel that order and get the plate from Pete Roper - the guy who invented it.  That would really help him in his claim that Gutsibits simply copied his invention.

I actually thought it was a case of Pete having to make me a one-off and g.b having them on the shelf. I found theirs while looking for filters. Order made and dispatched already.

It's a great thing Pete did, figuring out what was needed and designing it, producing it and delivering, but in invention terms it's a "wheel" if you know what I mean. I feel worse for Pete than the inventor of cornflakes, but his machinist must be charging far too much, or else Gutsibits keep their guy chained up in the basement.

I don't know that considering alternative filters is about price as much as availability. UFI are a hassle for me to get hold of.

Buying a generic house brand filter would be as much about price as anything else I would think. In today's day and age it is simple enough to buy them via the internet and they will show up at your house a few days later. There are more than a few quality filter brands out there that make filters for our Guzzi's. Any one of them should be easy enough to get with just a little planning.
Research here has yielded precious little in the way of useful data to make comparisons. International postage costs more than the filter so I wanted to see if could find something suitable that's not a three to twelve hour plane ride away.

• 5 years later...

Can’t find mentions of why a K&N filter won’t work, with its built in hex head at the bottom for easier removal.  There’s mention here and there in the endless oil threads of the kn 163 (common on a nUmber of bikes), the 1002, and 171b, but no clear indication of whether they’ll work.  Too tall with that hex head to fit with clearance?

7 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Can’t find mentions of why a K&N filter won’t work, with its built in hex head at the bottom for easier removal.  There’s mention here and there in the endless oil threads of the kn 163 (common on a nUmber of bikes), the 1002, and 171b, but no clear indication of whether they’ll work.  Too tall with that hex head to fit with clearance?

I have not tried the K&N filter, but being too tall would be my main concern. There are so many good quality filters out there I don't know why you would pick K&N. FYI, I have had issues with K&N oil filters rusting away, even to the point that the filter housing leaked. The rust was centered around the fake nut that is welded to the end of the housing. I reported the issue to K&N, including pictures. They sent me a new filter to replace the bad filter (nice of them). But my main concern was the issue with the filter design. While I have no issues with the company as a whole, I am not likely to use their oil filters again. But to be fair, since the V11 oil filter lives inside the sump and would be covered in oil both inside and out it is likely that it isn't going to have rust issues when used on a V11. But the big question would be whether or not the filter fits under the manhole cover on the bottom of the sump.

I tend to use either NAPA Gold or WIX filters.They are fine for a V11. Other brands out there are also fine.

• Like 1

Do not use a cheap oil filter PERIOD . Use a first line filter . Most stores have a first line and a second line filter .  

NEVER buy a WalMart or anything like this . FRAM . NEVER . 

Wix , AC Delco , Motorcraft , Hastings , Baldwin , etc. ,  these are good quality filters .  Purolator . The first oil filter in production , I assume they are good . 

• Like 1

I would avoid Fram. I *think* the Walmart brand that fits is ok.. forgot the number, and who makes it. Guzzi delivered new bikes with the Bosch 3330 at one time.. I've used them for years. I would also avoid the UFI.. there have been many issues with it.

• Thanks 1

Roger roger...

I’m no K&N fanboy,  but the hex head made me a proponent  years ago for the duc’s I’ve owned.  Just made removal a no brainer, and quality always seemed good enough .... some hate ‘em and some swear by ‘em.  The usual oil related debates.  I just like the hex, and now with multiple decades and over a couple hundred thousand miles using them on various bikes, they are at least “good enough” for me.

hoping someone can chime in on the fit.  Or maybe I’ll be the guinea pig...

hope y’all are getting some riding in with the spare time you may have now!

Just now, Gmc28 said:

Roger roger...

I’m no K&N fanboy,  but the hex head made me a proponent  years ago for the duc’s I’ve owned.  Just made removal a no brainer, and quality always seemed good enough .... some hate ‘em and some swear by ‘em.  The usual oil related debates.  I just like the hex, and now with multiple decades and over a couple hundred thousand miles using them on various bikes, they are at least “good enough” for me.

hoping someone can chime in on the fit.  Or maybe I’ll be the guinea pig...

hope y’all are getting some riding in with the spare time you may have now!

As mentioned, I have used them, only not on a V11 so I don't know about fit.

I think the K&N oil filter is a quality oil filter. But the "nut" is just a stamped piece of steel that is spot welded to the rest of the filter body. I had issues with the filter body rusting at those spot welds and around the "nut". One filter rusted through and started leaking when the motor was running. That was when I stopped using them.

If you want to try one, give it a go and post up the results.

It is not quite yet riding season around here. At least not for me, too cold still. A younger me would ride in 50 degree weather. But not the current me.

• Like 1

+1 re comment on buying filters based on price (perhaps applicable to FRAM - but have no personal experience of this brand on V11 per se) ... personally have always stayed with the oem Ufi -  adding securing strap in later years to prevent un-seen spin-off (which could happen to any filter in theory?) - usually ordered from my original dealer and shipped in the mail - drop the pan (rather than using man-hole) ... takes a little longer but good to see whats happening inside methinks and clean out screen etc at the same time ... as far as I'm aware, the ufi filter specs are more than adequate.