San Diego (International?) V11 Ride

Scud

Any potential participants for a one-day V11 ride in San Diego County? I'd be willing to put together a GPS route that includes some options for varying distances - say 250-500 miles. The concept is:  Leave out of North San Diego County. Then explore some of most twisty and lonely roads in the county. Maybe park at the border and walk into Tecate, Mexico for a taco - and find some more twisty stuff to ride before dinner. If anyone comes in from out of the area and spends the night, we could also get together the evening before.

My schedule's not entirely predictable, but as of now, May 2 and 3, 2015 look pretty good. The weather should be still cool enough then to tolerate a desert pass, if desired.

Here's a sample of an 8-hour, 320-mile loop I did recently. It was not an aggressive pace and I stopped a lot - gas, food, pictures, repeat as necessary...

Who's interested?

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-01%20at%203.14.1

• Like 1

If the South'n Spine Raid is any indication, don't count anyone out til the side stands come up; not unusual for riders to watch and wait, then show up at the meet point if they can. Consider posting a departure point and a time, then hang out there for about an hour and see what rumbles in!

Otherwise, with these rare bikes: two makes a rallye!  :mg:

• 2 weeks later...

Breakfast in Mexico today. Four chorizo tacos and orange juice from an open-air taco bar: Breakfast of champions!!!   :food:

Ride stats: 260 miles, 21,000 feet of elevation changes, 6.25 hours, including all stops, home at 12:15pm. 

Who else can I tempt into joining me on a full-day ride? If you want to walk across the border at Tecate, make sure you have a passport. It's easy to get in to Mexico, but people with badges and weapons actually look at your documents when you try to get out of Mexico.

I'm still holding May 2 & 3 - though maybe Saturday, the 2nd would be best.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-21%20at%2012.51.

IMG_2839.jpg

• Like 2

With an inch of solid ice on the ground here, I don't know why I'm even speaking to you. Tacos, orange juice - it's pissin' me off :D

At least you found the place where they keep the lost ponchos . . . :whistle:

With an inch of solid ice on the ground here, I don't know why I'm even speaking to you. Tacos, orange juice - it's pissin' me off :D

At least you found the place where they keep the lost ponchos . . . :whistle:

Taqueria Lost Ponchos translates to English as:  Taco Shop of the Disoriented Raincoats.  :blink:

It's been a rough winter in much of the US; it will be over soon. I misspent my youth in Upstate New York battling "lake effect" snow - so I understand winter.

In San Diego, there is a saying (and I hope this is not so hurtful as to cause you to stop talking to me): "We visit the seasons; the seasons don't visit us."

Two unusual things on today's ride:

1. An extraordinary number of 3-wheel-motorcycles - both configurations (two wheels in front and two wheels in back).
  2. Most Ferraris I've ever seen in a line, maybe 20 - all just putting along below the speed limit, I assume on some sort of club trip.  I don't know the model numbers, but a few were older and some very rare, including a Testarossa (always liked that model). Sadly, no Red Barchetta. I might have pursued if they were gonna uncork 'em. That'd be fun to see. 

Three normal things:

1. Several BMW motorcycles on the road, and none parked.
  2. A lot of Harleys parked near food stops, and just a few on the back-roads.
  3. I didn't see any other Guzzis.  :(

That's the weekend of the Arizona Guzzi "Gathering Of Eagles".  A few SoCal guys always ride over.  You might think of joining us for a weekend with fellow Guzzista's.

The rally is located on legendary Hwy 89A in Red Rock Country a few miles from Sedona.

Send me your email address if you'd like a pdf flyer.

Mike Larson

drdezmo at yahoo dot com