How to adapt blinkers into running lights?

Guest scott

Hey folks, I'm looking for advice on how to wire (rewire) my front and back blinkers so they stay on similar to running lights. Are their kits available for this type of modification? I like the fact that my other bikes have their blinkers "on" when the headlight is on. This makes the bike standout at night so as not to be mistaken for a car with one headlight burned out.

Would appreciate any info regarding this type of modification including part #'s, cost, ... Thanks in advance!

B)

Jeffrey Scott

'02 V11 Lemans

'00 FLHTC

'00 Triumph Sprint RS

There are kits for that purpose, but they aren't what I would call real economical. I'm working on a cheapo solution with a big resistor and some diodes to accomplish the task. I just haven't actually opened up anything on my V11 yet so that hasn't been done (and neither have the electric hand grips or the plug receptacle for my heated vest). Since the V11 Sport uses one indicator for the signals, it isn't quite as straight forward as bikes with separate left right indicators on the dash. I'm sort of loathe to cut any wires just yet, but in the long run, that's it will take. Hopefully, I'll get around to it within the next week and I will let you know how it turns out.

Here's my preliminary and unverified schematic...

V11_signal.gif

Have you tried to add some fog lights?

I've been looking into a set, because of the mountains I live in,

they are a necessity.I found some inexpensive ones in a J C Whitney catalogue and thought I might try them out.

Any one have any experience with the Hella line of lights?

J.R. in NC B)

You can also just wire into the tail light wire to get the juice to keep the turn signals in the always on mode, then use relays to make the turn signals blink OFF instead of ON.

You will need two of the type of relay used to kill the headlight when you press the starter button.

'Hope that makes sense :bier:

Yeah, I noticed that I had pulled the +12v from the wrong side of the flasher AFTER I posted the schematic. Natch. I'm trying to make this as simple as possible, hence I'm using steering diodes which should eliminate the need for relay complexities. Relays aren't really the problem, where to put them is. The under seat areas of the Sport are not numerous.

Yah the underseat area is slimpickings, especially if you have evaporation canisters and a powercommander in there. I miss having big old side panels full of relays, etc. It might make a nice trick project to put V7 Sport side panels on the side and moving the precious ECU down there out of harms way of my toolkit that keeps threatening the ECU and PowerCommander wiring! I already had the misfortune of trying a heavy duty flasher relay under the seat. It was a little larger and my seat crushed it.

:doh:

• 1 year later...

Well, my attempt to do it cheaply as described in the posts above, simply didn't work. Since then, I've put Kisan SM-2's in four of my Guzzis. Expensive, but convenient. Sometimes, it just pays to do what works and not bluster about expending time trying to do it a different and less effective way.

To reiterate, I think you introduce a safety hazard with this running light system.

It introduces confusion to the other drivers who could mistake that you are making a turn, but instead you are travelling straight ahead . Which could lead to a collision.

I have noticed on Television with American shows that this running light system is in place. And I don't think it is good, I think it would lead to too much confusion and undermine the blinker indicator safety system.

How does it undermine blinkers, and decrease safety? I don't understand your example. Perhaps it's just an issue of what we are used to here, versus where you live?? Do cars not have running lights when the headlights are on down in OZ?

Running lights are standard on the front of bikes in the USA, where typically they are not on the rear. They are on "solid", just as on a car, then the correct side blinks when it's time to turn, while the other side remains solid. Again, just as on a car when your headlights are on.

I don't understand how having both left and right running lights lit would confuse a driver into thinking the MC was initiating a turn. Maybe wig-wag flashing lights might, but those are illegal, and not what we are talking about.

I just don't see how this is confusing to other drivers, as it's the norm :huh2: ....at least the norm here in the USA.

IMHO, this increases visibility by putting more lighting into the equation.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding??

YMMV ^_^

al

Down here in OZ, we do not have running lights as you call them. If you wish to be visible you switch your headlight on.

When you see an amber light you straight away think that that driver could be making a turn. So in peoples mindset they straight away think that this person could be turning.

To put it in context think of it this way, if someone said let's make vehicles more visible from the rear we will have the brake light on at all times and when they brake we will make them flash. How much confusion do you think this would introduce.

For me it is the same as indicator lights. Here in OZ when an amber light is on it is to indicate to drivers that you wish to change direction of travel, nothing more nothing less. The amber light therefore only has one job and that is to indicate a change in direction, whether it be changing lanes or making a turn.

For running lights we turn on our headlights, and at one stage Volvo had the parking light which is a white light at the front on at all times (hard wired) and this light bulb had a brighter light bulb than a common parking light.

The only deviation from this is hazard lights whereby all 4 amber light flash when you breakdown or an accident has occured.

Actually, I think in most states rear running lights must be red and not amber although its not something that is enforced often. Regardless, I added dual filament bulbs to my Harley indicators about 20 years ago. On my BMW, I added "Light Buddies" and "Run'n Lites" which are red led's. One models fits indside the amber indicator lamps and yet are so bright that their red color washes through the amber lens to appear red. They provide a solid red light for running and , as an option, flash under braking. In fact, the dude who sells them is the one who explained to me the state rules on running light colors as he insisted that they needed to be red and not amber. I havent yet converted my Guzzi units but I may try to adapt the BMW units to the Guzzi housings.

Down here in OZ, we do not have running lights as you call them. If you wish to be visible you switch your headlight on.

When you see an amber light you straight away think that that driver could be making a turn. So in peoples mindset they straight away think that this person could be turning.

To put it in context think of it this way, if someone said let's make vehicles more visible from the rear we will have the brake light on at all  times and when they brake we will make them flash. How much confusion do you think this would introduce.

For me it is the same as indicator lights. Here in OZ when an amber light is on it is to indicate to drivers that you wish to change direction of travel, nothing more nothing less. The amber light therefore only has one job and that is to indicate a change in direction, whether it be changing lanes or making a turn.

For running lights we turn on our headlights, and  at one stage Volvo had the parking light which is a white light at the front on at all times (hard wired) and this light bulb had a brighter light bulb than a common parking light.

The only deviation from this is hazard lights whereby all 4 amber light flash when you breakdown or an accident has occured.

Hrmm, I guess the "standard" is just different down in OZ :huh2: .... or I think we may be getting lost in semantics.

So, first, let's standardize on terminology, to avoid confusion... as that may possibly be part of the problem.... often is ;)

Running lights = forward facing white lights, on 100% of the time when the ignition is on, not necessarily headlights, but can be. Generally introduced a few years ago as standard equipment for visibility/safety reasons. My bad by following the convention in this thread of referring to "running lights" meaning solidly lit indicator lights(amber or otherwise), if that introduced any confusion.

Indicators/Signals/Marker lights = forward and rear facing marker lights, typically amber, for indicating turning, hazard, or "parking lights". In the rear, these can be red(hence their often being integrated with the tail-lights), in North America(and I assume elsewhere) red cannot face forward legally except on emergency vehicles. These are typically called "parking lights" when lit solid, and "hazards" when they flash in unison, and blinkers/indicators/directionals when blinking on one side to indicate a turn.

Brake light = red tail-light, at maximum brilliance when brake is applied

Headlights = .... well, you know... headlights ^_^

Reverse/Backup light = rear facing white light, but not referenced in this thread ;)

OK, in North America, when our headlights are on, the marker lights are lit solid. BTW, it is illegal in most States in the US to drive with just your "parking lights" lit, i.e. without the headlight.

We also have "running lights" that were mandated by Federal Law for a while(but am not sure if that's still currently true), but these are different. Technically these are actually called "Daytime Running Lights" here in North America. Again, these lights are white, face forward, and are on whenever the ignition of the car is on.

Anyway, although it is illegal to drive with just your "parking lights" on, in the US when your headlights are on, the "parking lights"(indicator lights by another name :P ) are always lit. In fact, other than the "brake light", in North America, all exterior lights are solidly lit when the headlights are on.

So people here are used to seeing this.

Now, so far... is this how it is in OZ??

If not, I can see the confusion. If so, I don't... please follow.

In the US, many(but not all) motorcycles came from the factory with the front signals lit all the time, but for some odd reason not in the rear. The former is true because here in the States, it is illegal for the rider to be able to switch off the headlight. We don't even get a switch.

The headlight is on all the time when the ignition is on, and since many US bikes do light the front indicators by default in concordance with the headlight.... it is very common for drivers to expect to see the front of a motorcycle with solid indicator lights.

So, if we consider that in the US, most drivers are perfectly used to seeing an oncoming vehicle with the headlight lit, and the two side marker/blinker lights solidly lit... *not* indicating a turn, but instead the "corners" of the vehicle... at least here in North America, unless one of those marker lights is blinking, they will never think for a moment that the oncoming vehicle is turning.

Futher, the two lit oncoming marker lights on either side of a headlight on a bike serve a safety purpose... they tell an oncoming vehicle that they are approaching a motorcycle, not a car with one headlight burnt out :thumbsup:

Assuming otherwise can make for a nasty lapse in judgement :huh:

But again, not all motorcycles have the front marker lights lit, and almost none have the rear marker lights lit solid. So gizmos like the Kisan module allow you to light them at a lower intensity than full-bright without any wiring surgery.

Although one can make a case for safety(i.e. more lighting = good)... one could also just say it's a farkle(farkle = bling :rolleyes: ) .... and who's to say either is bad. It's just personal taste.

However, I don't see how adding the ability to light the marker lights solid when the headlight is on as introducing any additional danger... at least not in North America, where this is the norm :huh2:

Maybe it would be elsewhere, but I still am unconvinced how a pair of solid amber lights on either side of a headlight would make one think the oncoming vehicle is turning. Heck, Semis(Lorries, Trucks) have amber indicator lights all over them like Christmas Trees, and I know they do in Europe... do they in OZ? Do people think they are potentially turning 3 directions at once with all those marker lights lit? :P

But again, I suspect we have just gotten confused in the lexicon, and are probably talking about different things in the previous posts :D

al