Final drive oil (with moly) discontinued ..?

Gio

Just tried to order some of the MG final drive 80/90 with moly and was told by the dealer that this has been discontinued - MG now recommending Motul 80/90 with moly - anyone know how this stacks up against the good old stuff , moly content or otherwise?

Always happy with the old stuff and was planning on using in the final drive of the BMW until realising I was out of it. Adding moly to your favourite oil is also an option of course but becomes an expensive option with shipping to Canada.

I checked Motul data sheet but all it says is "moly re-inforced for "noisy" transmissions" (... how would they know that ???)

Gio

I used the MG final drive oil exclusively before going down the slippery slope of RedLine Shockproof (heheh- "slippery slope" - I cracks me up . . . :grin:

I did learn somewhere along the way that Motul was the OEM supplier for the MG moly gearoil. I believe it is one and the same.

Interesting docc ... like you (and many others) am a total convert for SPH in the tranny (and co-incidentally ordered some lightweight 75/140 for the BMW trans today) - but have always preferred that traditional "80/90 dino with moly" feel for the back-end ... no reason to doubt equi (or better) effectiveness, just a choice. Hey - it's an oil and so ignites more than rational thought or decision, right?

Good info re the Motul - if it's the same stuff I'll be happy! 

Thanks LowRyter - I looked into getting some moly additive but the shipping costs into Canada are very high ... have now found a local dealer who can bring in the Motul with moly stuff quite reasonably.