Removing Air Box / Intake Snorkels?

Rhino1

I've seen a  few images of V11's without the side covers, sporting individual air filters--some with a velocity stack, some without.  Anyone make nice billet stacks?  Pros?  Cons?  Got pics to share? :)

I want to clean-up the rear end of my V11 by removing the ungainly stock rear fender, doing a tail tidy, and ultimately, removing the side covers and exposing the shock.

Thanks!

Having done intake mods on a few bikes, I wouldn't do it on a V11, the injection system on these are pretty finicky.

I think it will never run right without the stock airbox. The potential gains are pretty minimal.

I do know there is a mod where you can drill the stock airbox lid with a bunch of holes. That's supposed to work.

But a V11 will never be a racer. It's charm is the tractable engine and general sweet balance of all the components.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

Mine runs fine on the pods but I am going to return it to airbox, for proper filtration. All I've read suggests the same minimal performance gains and even induction roar can be had with lid mods.

Since you're mostly about the cosmetic look, check out the Guzzidiag pinned thread. There will surely be maps for pods already done.

I took off the snorkels. It produces a little more intake noise, which I like. 

I've seen a few other threads about tail sections - some really cool ones. I just sawed mine off behind the license plate, painted the chrome taillight base black, and tinted the indicator lenses. That made it stealthy enough for me with minimal expense - and kept all the lights so the cars can see me at night.

Without the airbox you might find a flat spot, it really needs the velocity stacks.

As a temporary fix I used the existing rubber intake and fastened the pods to that.

One other thing, you can re-route the main loom without disconnecting.

It normally tucks around the seat release lock, I removed it from there and it now runs along the frame to the front of seat with the extra length just folded under the tank in-case one day I want to put it back to stock.

I also installed my regulator under the seat in the space previously occupied.

I too would like a pair of nice aluminium velocity stacks.

I designed and 3D printed my own intakes, which are designed to work with huge K&N pods. Works great, no complaints.

• Like 1

If you want a set, send me a PM, I can explain the set up. I did also have the bike tuned on a dyno after installing.

here are my dyno results:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8556&p=200008

I did not do a stock run, before making all my changes, which also included the GPR 2-1 exhaust and ceramic wheel bearings, so it's hard to make a before/after comparison. Overall I estimate at least +3 HP (my bike wasn't in a great state of tune when I bought it from the PO) and a significant amount of shed weight. Hard to say if the intake or the exhaust are more responsible, probably both as well as the skill of the tuners at Markbilt Racing.

• 1 month later...

@sp838. I like those intakes! Also running K&N pods, but initially left the air temp sensor out in the breeze. Which was fine when there was a breeze...

At lights, or round town, the fuelling was pants, so I mounted the sensor on the short bit of rubber tube downstream of the paper part of the filter. I had to splice in an extension to the cable. Now it's all good again.

Pics if anyone's interested.