Removing Air Box / Intake Snorkels?

Rhino1

Thanks Ed! I safety wired the air temp sensor to the tab on the frame where the air box used to attach. It seems pretty happy there, not dangling, away from the heat of the cylinders.

For anyone interested, I have made them public on Shapeways, the 3D printing service I used to make them. If you or anyone else wants a set, the link is here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/7H6NSY6WT/intake-boots-for-moto-guzzi-v11

I did mine in white because I was going to paint them silver, ended up installing them and riding the bike, didn't want to take it all apart again. If I was to do it over again I'd get them in black...

How are the 3D printed stacks holding up with the vibrations and what sort of 3D filament did you use ?

They are holding up great. I am not printing these on a consumer filament printer, these are professionally printed by Shapeways. They are made with laser sintered nylon.

• 1 month later...

@sp838. I like those intakes! Also running K&N pods, but initially left the air temp sensor out in the breeze. Which was fine when there was a breeze...

At lights, or round town, the fuelling was pants, so I mounted the sensor on the short bit of rubber tube downstream of the paper part of the filter. I had to splice in an extension to the cable. Now it's all good again.

Pics if anyone's interested.

Hi Ed,

Would you please post a picture of how you mounted the sensor ?

Thx !

Like a number of others, I have removed and later reinstalled my airbox.  It seems like a rite of passage for V11 sport ownership!  I don't have strong feelings either way (except that the frame and monoshock are oh so cool looking!), and a quick search will yield days worth of debate on the topic.

My one piece of advice is to take lots of photos to help you revert to the stock setup if you decide to later on.  This will be especially helpful if you decide to go for the extra credit points of re-routing the wiring harness up next to the battery to hide it and moving the fuel pump above the frame!

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, Mikko said:

I thought 3D printing was supposed to be affordable.

:rolleyes:

Have you ever had a part of the size and complexity of those intakes quoted for CNC machining? Or any other manufacturing process? Yeah, good luck, get back to me on that. If it was even possible to make them on the latest greatest 5 axis CNC machine, and get someone to agree to make it for you, you'd have to sell a kidney to afford it. Have you ever bought CNC machined velocity stacks for any other performance bike? I have. I got a set of aluminum stacks for my Daytona 675. Very simple geometry, made on a lathe, not a mill. They cost well north of $300.

Given the fact that these are designed to match the rubber intakes on our throttle bodies on one end, and to perfectly mate with the inside of the air filter ensuring no air leaks and a tight secure fit, and can be made on demand with no setup costs or special tooling, yes, this is quite "affordable". That doesn't necessarily mean everyone can justify buying them, and no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to. In fact I find it quite hilarious that you're moaning about their cost when you're going on at every opportunity about the upgrades you're allegedly going to perform on your bike, such as a hand made multi hundred dollar oil pump that has no demonstrable benefit over the stock equipment. You want to run a different setup, that's fine. But to complain about the cost of these parts demonstrates some ignorance about the cost of making custom parts and the unique benefits of 3D printing in general. Good luck securing those filters though! Especially that top one, looks like it will come flying off at the first turn you take over 40 mph.

18 minutes ago, Mikko said:

If you really wanna bring up “no demonstrable benefit” I could have mentioned the rifling of the intakes.. 

Actually, the rifling of the bores has at least one demonstrable benefit, which is that it reduces the amount of material used, so makes the parts cheaper to print (one of the metrics used to determine part cost is how much raw material is used). I've always been curious to make a smooth bore version and compare performance but that would be a big waste of time and money.

On 6/2/2015 at 10:25 PM, Walterg said:

Hi Ed,

Would you please post a picture of how you mounted the sensor ?

Thx !

DD mounted a sensor I made for him above the rear shock. Pictures and ride report here:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19831-air-temp-mod-for-no-air-box/ 

The extended sensor is just the equivalent thermistor wired to an extended loom, with the last 100mm or so stiffened with a 3mm steel welding rod, covered with heat shrink.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20032-pods-what-size/&do=findComment&comment=222872

• Like 1