Fitting a Laverda 750 SFC Fairing

Craig

Thanks for the seat-paint tip. I just noticed where you hid the front turn signals. Excellent.

X-Arc LED lamps from Hightechspeed. They are blindingly blight. I replaced the stock flasher relay with a generic LED flasher relay off eBay.  I thought about going the route  the red bike that inspired this went, and may still do that.

I wonder how she'd look with the same gold/orange on the head guards? Would that work or be "too much of a good thing?"

Yeah. It's a fine line. The gold anodizing can really get away. The windshield bolts and the mirrors with the wheel stripes seem enough in the front. If I paint the rear I will get the "Azzuro Corsa" done in gold.

The dark tail works well with the blue front - but full color matching would also be nice.  I prefer the look of my red LeMans with all red (not the stock black tail). I have an extra tail section with some repairable road rash - then you could have it both ways.

Decsions, Decisions... I also play with the idea of just scrapping the rear and shortening it up with a single seat and moving the elex to where the airbox wouldn't be anymore.  Plus, the alteration to the rear fender makes it rather difficult to remove, not impossible, just not fun.  I need an extra joint in my fingers.  So swapping back and forth would be non-trivial.

I'd be tempted to flat-black powercoat a few parts (pillion pegs and hangers, alternator cover, foot levers, rear brake master cylinder guard, etc.) - but that's me.

Interesting idea. I need to think about that. I have an idea to paint the pork chops in the blue, but I don't know how well it would hold up.  I have the same thought about the valve covers but I am reasonably sure the paint wouldn't like the high temp.

The Rizoma fluid tanks are a beautiful, although a bit spendy, option. They'd be a nice pair of jewels to crown the work you've done.

Much easier to machine my own. Then I control all the dimensions. If I embed them in the triple I need very a specific O.D. And I need to control the fluid exit point.

What gauges are those?

Those are VDOs that I put in when my ITI ODO bit the dust four years ago. I documented them here: Converting a Speedo to Electric Drive. I finally finished them when I cut up the instrument cover you sold me :thumbsup: They have been flawless for over 200 hours since installed.  Highly recommended.

• Like 1

very nice work. I like the grey pork chops, and the dark tail.  Viewing your bike in this light reminds me how stunning a line the Sport/LM has. Against the awesome mufflers, the seat and tail really pack a visual punch. The bike is well suited to the vintage fairing.

I should comment on how the new fairing affects the bike on the road.  The airflow across my helmet is basically clean.  It is much quieter this way than the previous bikini fairing, which caused serious turbulence right on my head.  The only drawback is that I look through the windscreen down to the instruments.  In some lighting conditions they can be difficult to read.  Over all I am happy with the big picture but have some details still to sort out.

...but have some details still to sort out.

Like machining your own fluid reservoirs into the triple clamp? That's cool that you can do stuff like that.

I consider the Japan Scura one of the prettiest modern Guzzis out there. Lots of small really really nice touches is what does it. The valve covers, the studs on the wheels, the flow of the screen, etc. It was done carefully and properly.

Bang up job Craig. :notworthy: That bike and that fairing were made for each other.  Blue....I'd heard that there are motorcycles that are not black (and occasionally the other colour - red). But I've just never seen one. Blue....wow whodathunkit? :grin:

• 8 months later...

best fairing I've seen for the v11.  absolutely gorgeous red, black, and blue ones.  all three amazing and inspiring.  makes me want a v11 again just so i can do this also.  

• 2 years later...

Good old thread, but noted that all the photos of Craig's work are gone in the thread and his gallery.  Did anyone save them?

Have you looked at Post#43 and Post#71? I can see them :huh2:  (Zero images in the Gallery, though.)

img_09771.jpg

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post. Ressurrecting it, because now I am looking at doing a Laverda fairing on a V11 and some questions are unanswered and some photos are no longer visible..... 

Here is the bike that started the whole discussion....

upper_part_laverda.jpg

laverda motoguzzi_v50.jpg

• Like 1

Isn't it exquisite!

Anyways...... I was looking for answers that were not fully answered in the previous posts.

My questions are:

1. If I bought a V11 Le Mans, would the existing headlight fairing mounts be usable with the Laverda fairing?

2. If so, what modifications would be required to make it work? (This is assuming anyone has done the fairing swap with a V11 LM. The bike in the pics is a Le Mans....)

3. If anyone has fitted this fairing on any other  V11 using any other fairing/headlight mount, and if so what did they use?

4. Do all V11s have the mounting tabs (bolt tubes,) for a fairing on the headstock or only those that had an OEM fairing fitted?

5. If you have done it, step by step Photos would be great to help the rest of us who want to do the same. I promise, if I do it to my bike I will post videos and a step by step photo guide telling how it was done and any issues I had and how they were overcome.

HELP!

laverda -moto-guzzi-v11-cafe-sport-88522-166.jpg