Fuel Level Switch

Kiwi_Roy

My low fuel lamp has gotten a bit "sluggish." Typically, it's come on (and off) dimly when needing 4.1 US gallons. Now, it's even more dim even at 4.5 low.

Maybe it needs a little more "exercise?" (Nine times of ten I fill up before it comes on).

I bought a mag reed switch this afternoon.  I cracked the glass while testing it.  I just ordered this:

59630-1-T-02-A_sml.jpg

From Digikey.  It is a panel mount level switch for $7.98.  Probably better than I can do ghetto engineering a float. 

I bought a mag reed switch this afternoon.  I cracked the glass while testing it.  I just ordered this:

59630-1-T-02-A_sml.jpg

From Digikey.  It is a panel mount level switch for $7.98.  Probably better than I can do ghetto engineering a float. 

The problem is how to put it in the tank

The float has to fit through the hole at the bottom

Digikey have reed switches for about 15c each,

The problem is how to put it in the tank

The float has to fit through the hole at the bottom

Digikey have reed switches for about 15c each,

I have a different design sensor than you do.  Mine screws to the side of the fuel pump assembly and goes up with the pump.  Plenty of clearance.  This is what my original part looked liked:

01103090_thermister.jpg

Sure looks like it.  I couldn't find any markings on the part at all.  If my float sensor doesn't work out I'll order one of those.  MG joined it to the brakc with a butt-load of solder which will make removal interesting if I have to go that way..

If you have the in tank pump you should be able to get your switch mounted inside, I was thinking you has one like mine with just a 1/2" hole.

The fuel lamp won't care if you have the thermistor or float type.

If you have the in tank pump you should be able to get your switch mounted inside, I was thinking you has one like mine with just a 1/2" hole.

The fuel lamp won't care if you have the thermistor or float type.

Exactly. 

Out of curiousity I looked around for that Panasonic part.  Only places I could find want industrial quantities.  Mouser, Digikey didn't list it.

Now its a quest to make that float work...

Not to highjack, but has anyone ever fitted a second petcock and figured out some kind of classic "reserve" configuration?

I think I know a simple way it could be done (Using different heights for the in-tank inlets?) but was wondering if anyone has already done it.......?

Out of curiousity I looked around for that Panasonic part.  Only places I could find want industrial quantities.  Mouser, Digikey didn't list it.

I picked up pair of the Panasonic sensors at a Chinese site DHGate.

I thought I must have been scammed because the took about 2 months to arrive, from the look of the parcel it had come via slow boat.

I suggest you get several, they are so cheap compared to $190 on MG Cycle.

With in-tank pump you have lots of room for a float switch, reed switch inside a brass tube with a full size cork and tiny magnet. A good source of brass tubing is an old telescopic antenna. Reed switches are a dime a dozen at Digikey. 100 milliamp is all you need, the Voltage doesn't matter

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/switches/magnetic-reed-switches/1114199?k=reed%20switch

I prefer the glass body, axial lead type.

With the small hole on external pump tanks its hard to get a float large enough to float and still slide on the brass tube.

If you want to pad out your order get some spare relays for the guzzi

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/G8HN-1C2T-R%20DC12/Z2247-ND/765512

My old California II has petcocks with a dual level, I'm not sure they will fit though.

On the V11 sport it pumps from LH side then relieves back to RH side, it would be nice to access the fuel on the right, you can tip the bike to slosh it over but the pump just throws it back again.

. . . .it would be nice to access the fuel on the right, you can tip the bike to slosh it over but the pump just throws it back again.

Amen to that. I wish one of you bright, resourceful lads would come up with a simple solution for this.

It really bites to "run out" of fuel with 8/10 of a gallon trapped on board.