Fuel Level Switch

Kiwi_Roy

It really bites to "run out" of fuel with 8/10 of a gallon trapped on board.

Perhaps a small pump tank with the relief valve installed so the fuel goes

pump tank - pump - filter - injectors - relief valve - pump tank

The pump tank could fill by gravity from the main tank with an extra petcock feeding from the RH side where the relief valve currently sits.

For those running Pods the tank could sit where the air box came from.

• 1 year later...

I ran my tank dry (it sputtered for a couple miles). I was only able to coast into a gas station by flipping the bike left and right as I rode. That helped splash the gas around inside the tank.

If you have an external fuel pump can't you put a tap on both sides of the tank?

I ran my tank dry (it sputtered for a couple miles). I was only able to coast into a gas station by flipping the bike left and right as I rode. That helped splash the gas around inside the tank.

If you have an external fuel pump can't you put a tap on both sides of the tank?

Yep. You could probably fit a tap (petcock) in place of the regulator and use an inline regulator, "T" the lines together and find safe places to put everything being certain not to foul the throttle linkage. The V11 is actually pretty tightly packaged when trying to make changes in systems like electrical and fuel line routing.

Having sputtered out of fuel on the V11 (too many times :blush: ), you can dismount, and very deeply slosh the fuel from right to left. I've had this get me up to 1/2 mile down the road. At this point, the more throttle you use, the less fuel is bypassed to the right side tank trap.  GLH

• Like 1

Dave, so you ran the tank dry.  Let me ask, does your low fuel light work?  

So far as having two petcocks or a "reserve", I have to wonder with fuel injected bikes if two position fuel cocks were eliminated because the bike can be damaged running it dry?

Dave, so you ran the tank dry.  Let me ask, does your low fuel light work?  

So far as having two petcocks or a "reserve", I have to wonder with fuel injected bikes if two position fuel cocks were eliminated because the bike can be damaged running it dry?

Light works great! Ignoring the light for too long... not so much. It started to flicker and I thought about getting gas. Wife texted me and asked me why I wasn't getting the kid from daycare. So I headed home asap. I thought I had enough to get home but it started to sputter and I was in the countryside and away from a gas station, I managed to make it to the nearest gas station but if it had been a few more feet I think I would have been pushing it. Luckily the last 1/2 mile was downhill.

They didn't have a reserve on EFI bikes because they assume if you don't pay attention to the light it's your own damn fault.  :homer:

Here's a challenge :oldgit:

Lets see who can come up with the best method of getting the last drop of fuel out of the VII tank

A/ with external pump

B/  with internal pump (or is that not an issue)

Photos or it didn't happen.

In the best Guzzi tradition it has to be cheap. :grin:

• Like 1

I had mine die when I was at stop light and then I started it and it sputtered to the gas station across the street.  I think it was 166 miles on the tank.  The light had been on for a while.  I am guessing 25+ miles.  

I typically get gas at 150 miles.  Not usually more than that though.  

My record in the short time I've had it is 169 miles. Freeway miles coming from SF. The record for most gas in the tank is that time I ran out and it was 5.006 gals (US).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep close track of this stuff, because engineer.  I have never run dry unintentionally.  I did it intentionally once to calibrate my tank.

In the 25 fillups prior to my engine disaster I averaged 202 miles before the fillup, 5.0 gallons filled and 40.8MPG.   The light comes in around 150 and I have about 2 gallons left until empty.  This was from 2015-08-08 to 2016-08-10.

My max fillup has been 5.49 gallons.

This is mostly highway commuting, but I am not particularly gentle.

Too soon to tell anything with the rebuild, but so far things look close.

I've never gotten 40 mpg.  usually get 35 (approximate- guessed in my head at fill up and as remembered as I write this).

I don't ride for fuel economy.  And the fuel bill is peanuts next to the tire bill.  I ride for enjoyment.  

My EV used to get 40+.  Then I went through all the TPS mess and now I get 35.  

36.5 miles/US gal; About 5% less when the temperatures are low and up to 10% more cruising steady at highway speeds.

Best ever: 42mpg.