Fuel Level Switch

Kiwi_Roy

Ok, now I'm getting perplexed.

Last night the light came on an I rode for about 20? more miles and finally got to the ethanol-free station (4.699/gal). I thought for sure I was on fumes.

168 miles... I shoved as much gas as I could in, even stood the bike up straight... 4.387gal. 38mpg

The time it was sputtering (see above) I got 161 and 5 gals even. 34.6mpg. (mountain roads)

Next time the light comes on I need to mark down the mileage.

Someone here must have a dead Veglia and can sell me the trip knob...

I do need to take a ride down to Medford to the nearest In-N-Out and see what pure highway miles do.

Dave, you can get a new fuel level indicator from Harpers.  The cost has come down considerably.  I replaced mine on the EV (thanks to a ham fisted mechanic- not me- that plugged it into the electric petcock) (hint" removed the electric petcock fuse if you still have one).  The one thing I noticed it's a little more sensitive and comes on about 15 miles earlier than the old one. 

Oh, it works just fine. I just need to do a better job of figuring out exactly how many gallons are left when it comes in. So it's more a matter of operator error than instrumental error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pm me your address I've got a trip knob

Thanks! Someone has already offered one. I appreciate it very much!

Really interesting stuff. I find that my fuel light is very dim to the point that it's very easy to miss it particularly in bright sunshine. Has anyone ever found a way of fitting a fuel guage or a level sensor that is more on/off so the light will be bright right away.

My light usually starts off dim and then the longer I ride the brighter it gets. How long are you going after you see the light?

The light will begin to glow at steady speed or at idle on level ground with a bit under one US gallon on the left side of the tank. Opening the throttle sharply, going uphill, or leaning left will extinguish the light. 

Having just drained my tank completely dry, I added back maybe a gallon and half from the gas can. The light came on going to town for fuel, quite steady.

Filled with nearly 4.4 US gallons. If I catch it right at the first glow, 4.1-4.2 USg.

At ~5.1 gallons down, I'm sputtered out. A deep tip to the left from a stand still will slosh some of the trapped 0.8-1.0 US gallons over to the left (petcock) and will get you a little piece down the road . . .

This is the early external pump/ chin pad tank. YMMV!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think I posted it somewhere else.

I had the tank off the other day and looking at the fuel return to the RH side of the tank (pressure relief valve)

I took an L shaped length of automotive brake pipe, 5/16" I think and fastened it into the return valve so it squirts the returning fuel over the hump to the LH side.

I figure now if I run out on the left I can tip the bike over so the trapped fuel runs from Right to Left where the pump can grab it.

• 1 year later...

Another thread I think I could have contributed to at the time, but maybe this is helpful to someone who comes across it later that is curious about tank capacities and options to recover the fuel trapped on one side of the tank for pre and post 2002 style tanks:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459&hl=tank&page=1

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/132039-ran-out-fuel-twice-no-fuel-light-3.html

For those with an internal fuel pump this may be the best solution. Full instructions and pictures.

Look at posts #23, 30, 41, 42.

I just ordered 3 from here,

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/honeywell-sensing-and-productivity-solutions/135-202FAG-J01/480-3340-ND/2503925

I am going to try this for my Breva 750 with an internal pump similar to the Ducati and later Guzzi V11s.

My light comes on when I first turn on the key but will not light when the fuel is low.

I have run out twice on this bike when I first got it and did not know I had an issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

2002 V10 Scure 14k miles since new; owned by me for 3 months, completed 700 miles – still getting to know the bike.

Fuel consumption is 40 miles per imperial gallon, fuel light NEVER comes on, mainly because I fill up at the 100 mile point. 

This is because I have a problem!!

Symptoms: RH cylinder backfires when low on fuel. Rubber inlet manifold between RH carb & cylinder detaches [blown off by back fire]; engine then over-revs [3kRPM] w/ throttle closed.

Conditions: Only happens when v. low on fuel.

Current solution: let it cool down, refuel, re-fit. If I refuel every 100 miles or so the issue would not occur but would rather find the correct solution.

.......or is this just an additional feature of V11 not mentioned in the sales brochure!!!

In reading the posts, interesting to note the comments about fuel on the LHS of the tank and about the fuel level sensor failing.

I guess I'm going to have to strip down everything from the tank to the inlet manifold to see whats going on.

BTW, great forum!!

Many thanks in advance,  Noel

• Like 1

Really interesting stuff. I find that my fuel light is very dim to the point that it's very easy to miss it particularly in bright sunshine. Has anyone ever found a way of fitting a fuel guage or a level sensor that is more on/off so the light will be bright right away.

That is the issue that this switch was designed to fix.  :grin:  The old float type switches would cry wolf and blink on and off incessantly. They were a nuisance, and many if not most people unhooked them.