What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

• 4 weeks later...

Last night the Bev and I met with Guzzi John and Barb from Springfield MO in Tulsa to see Jeff Beck.  Someday I'll write about Tulsa which in many  ways was the Austin that never was.  It seemed like everyone in the hotel was there to see Jeff Beck including folks there from Chicago to see Jeff after following him from Kansas City.  The basic band is guitar, drums, bass and cello with two "guest singers".   And I'll admit that was a surprise.  

The basic style is an ongoing guitar and drum solo that's perfectly timed and melodic.  I'd call it heavy metal bebop but that would be wrong.   Through the jam I recognised "Cause we ended as lovers", "Big Block", then the first singer came out playing Link Wray's "Rumble" and the next singer was Jimmy Hall doing "Superstition".  The final song was the instrumental rendition of "A Day in the Life".  See if you can guess the first singer, and I'll give the answer at the bottom.

64EBB8D58D0647C4BA028DD8EA622AE0.jpg80811918B74445DFB7E6D0120BFE3F98.jpg7291C5CB00114610BF9F0018ED1667AF.jpg8367400383AF4B2888AE7D08F620CE86.jpgC60C32AF0D74462FBE72DFA63FB3C2AE.jpg484954DFB63F437CB9A22A97878DCA79.jpg590BC6FE82A64DB68254BD387D67399D.jpg

yes, that's Johnny Depp

• Like 1

Bassist?  Rhonda Smith, she started with an up comer known as Prince.  Yeah, she can buzz the bass like Jack Casady.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhonda_Smith

The cello is Vanessa Freebairn-Smith and drums are Vinnie Colaiuta.  No keyboards but there was some synthesiser or recordings in the background whether it was run from the board or Jeff was doing it and the cello added some harmonic bottom too.    Jeff and Vinnie just go and go and go.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

I'm a massive MK fan, have been since the late 70's when Dire Straits Sultans of Swing went to #1 here in Australia before anywhere else in the world. Love his post DS stuff even more.

Ciao

I heard 'Water of Love' yesterday on the radio. What a great song. Beter than the sh*t they brought out later on, like Twisting by the Pool and Walk of Life.

1 hour ago, Admin Jaap said:

I heard 'Water of Love' yesterday on the radio. What a great song. Beter than the sh*t they brought out later on, like Twisting by the Pool and Walk of Life.

If you want to hear the best version of Romeo and Juliet ever with Chris White on the sax absolutely nailing the solo with Eric Clapton playing as well check this out.

Amazing!

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1