What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

On 2/20/2020 at 12:10 PM, docc said:

Wow, never thought about, or listened to, The Waifs. Too cool! Thanks, L'ky-Phil!! :thumbsup:

I let myself down their yootoob rabbit hole. There are some delightful performances, including "Crazy Train" at "The Basement" posted in 2010.

Is that Nashville (Music City), Tennessee, or is that somewhere else in the world?

Probably the Basement in Sydney docc. Jazz/blues club. They had some hits a while back.2 sisters and the brother.

I believe they got their break when they were invited to tour with Bob Dylan years ago. Perth band I think and just recently reformed after a break for babies etc. Biggest hit commercially was London Still I think. That's all I got docc but I have always liked their stuff.

Oh fun fact, their granny used to call them her little waifs and that's where the name originated.

Ciao 

EDIT...def the basement in Sydney Australia. They mentioned being in a night club in Kings cross the night before...that's in Sydney as well. 

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

Well LowRyter, you have always been a good source for musical taste and inspiration, but you lost me with this one. Sorry but that particular duet is ridiculous. I've seen Alison and Union Station five times and always in a small venue. I love them. I'll bet she had a good time with it and laughed her ass off, and was no doubt grateful to sing with an icon of Plant's stature. I'd love to hear her tell the story.

I like the album.  I think "Raising Sand" was a great record, it took me into another direction with "roots" sound, a little bit of Folk and Blues with tinge of Rockabilly.  I like everything I've ever heard from T Bone Burnett.  This is my favorite RP album without Jimmy Page on it.  I've played it every couple of weeks for probably 10 years.

I have an AK record, it's OK.  No, I don't like US or AK as well as I like this album.  But I don't call them ridiculous.   I suppose that you would agree with my neighbor? 

You've listened to the entire album?  I'll admit that one isn't the best song on the record but I like it.   I don't consider my taste to be better than anyone else's but I like to share what I like.  I like this song even more.

That track makes my fiddle moan and cry.  "Killin' the Blues"

The hyper-produced video really detracts from the music. There are some great tracks on that collaboration. (IMHO)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I like the album.  I think "Raising Sand" was a great record, it took me into another direction with "roots" sound, a little bit of Folk and Blues with tinge of Rockabilly.  I like everything I've ever heard from T Bone Burnett.  This is my favorite RP album without Jimmy Page on it.  I've played it every couple of weeks for probably 10 years.

I have an AK record, it's OK.  No, I don't like US or AK as well as I like this album.  But I don't call them ridiculous.   I suppose that you would agree with my neighbor? 

You've listened to the entire album?  I'll admit that one isn't the best song on the record but I like it.   I don't consider my taste to be better than anyone else's but I like to share what I like.  I like this song even more.

For the record, I didn't call any artist, band, album or song, ridiculous. I said this particular duet was. They are both great singers. I just don't get the pairing. The video was very unfortunate. MTV. 

'Killing the blues' is way up on my list of best songs ever written. A strong beautiful song on it's own.

The only times I've heard it live was from Shawn Colvin, 24-25 years ago. I've been playing it this way since.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chuck said:

This one moved me.. I don't know how to imbed stuff though..

<iframe width="725" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-UHHc7POovg?list=RD-UHHc7POovg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great vid. Cool seeing John Densmore

I'm older than most, younger than many. I was drafted to service and reported to Ft Knox on 8 May 1969. Hendrix played my hometown venue, fairgrounds "coliseum" (or as Zappa called it - a Barn) on 11 May '69. I was very disappointed. No worries, I'll see him when I get out. Of course he died in '70. When I got out I went to every concert I could. There were a slew of mini festivals touring in those days. You could pay 6 or $8 and see as many bands in one day-night. Foghat ELO Chuck Berry Richie Havens Its a Beautiful Day Eric Burdon Ike & Tina Rare Earth BB King Johnny Winter Edgar Winter etc etc. At one such festival early afternoon, outdoors, Louisville '73ish.. (ok I was in a celebratory mood)(and maybe napping) and I hear All Along the Watchtower coming from the stage. My first thought was Jimi recorded. In fact it was Mahogany Rush. I had never heard of them. So few videos made from those days.

one from 2001 - youtube says I can't embed it 'Voodoo Chile Montreal 2001' if it doesn't show up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPUjWIKAYvU

• Like 2