What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

Sparklehorse has been receiving quite a bit of airplay in my little motorcycle shop the last couple of years.  Sparklehorse is an acquired taste, but I have come around and enjoy the originality very much.

I purchased a 93 1000S that had been owned by Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse until his untimely demise.  I must be honest that I had never heard of Sparklehorse until I bought Mark's bike.  I spent some time getting to know more about Mark and his band, Sparklehorse through internet research and was amazed by how many Sparklehorse videos there are on YouTube.  I purchased a few of his CDs and started playing them while fettling his old bike.  Listening to Mark sing and play while working on his old bike certainly added an extra dimension to wrenching.

Here is a picture of Mark on his beloved 1000S.  I have gotten to know one of his long time band mates a bit and he told me Mark absolutely loved this bike.

guzzi1000.jpg

Current state after an extensive fettling.  I am recovering from hip replacement just 3 weeks ago, so the bikes are already in their winter hibernation mode.

IMG_6599_(2).jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Dave Swanson said:

Sparklehorse has been receiving quite a bit of airplay in my little motorcycle shop the last couple of years.  Sparklehorse is an acquired taste, but I have come around and enjoy the originality very much.

I purchased a 93 1000S that had been owned by Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse until his untimely demise.  I must be honest that I had never heard of Sparklehorse until I bought Mark's bike.  I spent some time getting to know more about Mark and his band, Sparklehorse through internet research and was amazed by how many Sparklehorse videos there are on YouTube.  I purchased a few of his CDs and started playing them while fettling his old bike.  Listening to Mark sing and play while working on his old bike certainly added an extra dimension to wrenching.

Here is a picture of Mark on his beloved 1000S.  I have gotten to know one of his long time band mates a bit and he told me Mark absolutely loved this bike.

guzzi1000.jpg

Current state after an extensive fettling.  I am recovering from hip replacement just 3 weeks ago, so the bikes are already in their winter hibernation mode.

IMG_6599_(2).jpg

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 7:10 AM, bbolesaz said:

Sparklehorse does the greatest version of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".

Checked this out but nah, didn't dig it. Then again 95% of covers I dont think are better than the original.

Ciao

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Checked this out but nah, didn't dig it. Then again 95% of covers I dont think are better than the original.

Ciao

I enjoy listening to what covers keep and what they change. "Wish you Were Here" got me back playing a rendition that my bandmates arranged. Always my personal favorite simply because I can be part of it!

I posted the Seger track after stumbling across it and thinking, "Now, that is what is in my head riding the Sport!" :race:

(I know I promised to ride like I'm hearing Brubeck, but that only lasts until the first string of cars must be passed. ):grin:

6 hours ago, docc said:

I enjoy listening to what covers keep and what they change. "Wish you Were Here" got me back playing a rendition that my bandmates arranged. Always my personal favorite simply because I can be part of it!

I posted the Seger track after stumbling across it and thinking, "Now, that is what is in my head riding the Sport!" :race:

(I know I promised to ride like I'm hearing Brubeck, but that only lasts until the first string of cars must be passed. ):grin:

Yep Bob Sega was on my cars cassette player back in the 70's docc.

Here's one of my all time favourite pieces. I'm sure you'll know it docc.

Ciao

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gstallons said:

I'm clueless . fill me in .

Heh, well I had to "look that up." :blush: At first, I could not figure out how the two musicians stayed with one another facing apart. Pretty sure she is the same girl, different instruments. Very nicely done!

I doubt I could ride the Sport to that, but it was lovely listening, gazing at the Sport over a steaming coffee, pondering its mythical qualities and place in the universe . I fancy her a bit of a cello, the Sport.

Here is the back story of the music I found in an interview with the composer:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/09/ashokan-farewell-how-a-20th-century-melody-became-an-anthem-for-the-19th/407263/

6 hours ago, docc said:

Heh, well I had to "look that up." :blush: At first, I could not figure out how the two musicians stayed with one another facing apart. Pretty sure she is the same girl, different instruments. Very nicely done!

I doubt I could ride the Sport to that, but it was lovely listening, gazing at the Sport over a steaming coffee, pondering its mythical qualities and place in the universe . I fancy her a bit of a cello, the Sport.

Here is the back story of the music I found in an interview with the composer:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/09/ashokan-farewell-how-a-20th-century-melody-became-an-anthem-for-the-19th/407263/

Great story docc and one I didn't know. I had always assumed it was a product of the 19th Century. I even have the Civil War sound track I liked the music from the doco so much.

I heard a busker playing it on a violin at my local village about 3 years ago and said to her "I bet I'm the only person here today apart from you that knows what that song is" Thinking it was from the 19th century and she agreed. Knowing now its only a recent song I feel a bit foolish, LOL.  

Ciao

• Like 1

That's the same article I found out how wrong I was . I thought the were mixing up Bob Seger in there somewhere .  

BTW , just about everything Ken Burns does is GREAT . It may not be perfectly accurate , but it is good enough . This documentary also brought to the public Shelby Foote . THE MAN . 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...