What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

On 5/15/2021 at 1:26 PM, 4corsa said:

Ok so here's the big surprise with Wanton Bishops. To me they sound as authentic American swamp blues as it gets. But turns out they're born and raised in Lebanon! Who would have guessed that?!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

@4corsa . . . . +1 on The Wanton Bishops!

• Like 2

Awesome Doc. If that video isn't proof that music is universal, don't know what is. Just love those guys

• Like 2

Had the fortunate opportunity to see the Orrin Evans Quartet this evening at Chris's Jazz Club in Philadelphia. Do not miss them should you have the chance!7d033219fa916ce2d3de397178f96cba.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, KINDOY2 said:

Vince Gill mostly wrote his for Keith Whitley and his younger brother who had  passed away from alcohol abuse   not long before...but dedicated it to George Jones

• Like 2

So, I go to get an O-ring for the brake pedal stop on the Sport and the conversation turns from "What's this for? Something weird?"  to  "Are you a player?"  to:  check out this steel player and how these things are tuned . . .

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, docc said:

So, I go to get an O-ring for the brake pedal stop on the Sport and the conversation turns from "What's this for? Something weird?"  to  "Are you a player?"  to:  check out this steel player and how these things are tuned . . .

Thanks for posting Buddy Emmons, docc! He is to the pedal steel guitar what Les Paul and Leo Fender combined are to the six-string guitar. He is not only the gold standard for style and tone, but he designed and created the push-pull steel guitar, hence the Emmons pedal steel guitar. The tone, sustain, and feed-back to the player of these guitars is unmatched. The changer on most all pedal steel guitars is an all-pull design—where the raises and lowers changes are all pulled against a stop by the changer mechanism. On an Emmons Push-Pull the raises and lowers are both pulled and pushed by the changer. In the right hands these guitars can be set-up to do much more than an all-pull, but they are a bit trickier to tune. Tuning an all-pull guitar is like doing the valves on a Guzzi, but tuning a push-pull guitar is like doing the valves on a desmodromic engine. About twice as much stuff going on, but, like a Ducati, they settle in and once you do it a few times it’s no big deal. God bless Buddy Emmons!

*after enlarging the clip, I can see that, ironically, Buddy is not playing an Emmons guitar. He is playing an EMCI, an all-pull. His tone and feel are there, but after he sold the Emmons Steel Guitar company he played other people’s guitars. I believe he was involved with the EMCI guitar company (MCI before he came aboard). This was later in his career. The EMCIs are nice, but they ain’t no push-pull.

• Thanks 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/12/arts/music/byron-berline-dead.html

Local Blue Grass and three Time National Champion Fiddler Byron Berline passed away.  He owned the Double Stop Fiddle Shop in Guthrie OK and hosted a Blue Grass Fest here in the Fall.  Double Stop was his technique playing two strings at a time.  One of his most famous tunes was playing with the Stone's on "Country Honk" an album version of "Honkytonk Women".  He was also a member of the Flying Burrito Bros.

I was fortunate to see him perform "Honkytonk Women" at the Guthrie Fest.  He said that was the first time he played it in a show.  The article mentions that he sang chorus on Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" and performed much on the "Billy the Kid" soundtrack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/12/arts/music/byron-berline-dead.html

Local Blue Grass and three Time National Champion Fiddler Byron Berline passed away.  He owned the Double Stop Fiddle Shop in Guthrie OK and hosted a Blue Grass Fest here in the Fall.  Double Stop was he technique playing two strings at a time.  One of his most famous tunes was playing with the Stone's on "Country Honk" an album version of "Honkytonk Women".  He was also a member of the Flying Burrito Bros.

I was fortunate to see him perform "Honkytonk Women" at the Guthrie Fest.  He said that was the first time he played it in a show.  The article mentions that he sang chorus on Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" and performed much on the "Billy the Kid" soundtrack

Great Stuff!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Gotta love R.L. Burnside - a true original old school Blues artist. And that's his grandson on the drums!

• Like 2

I'm watching a show on PBS "Through the Lens".  It's all about album cover art from the '50s through now.

Not surprising, The Beatles were among the the first to make it an art form.  And importantly, the guys' style changes so much from '62-'70 that it served as a signpost for the times.

https://www.pbs.org/show/icon-music-through-lens/

• Like 3