What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

so who's on the keys?  

I only recognize Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, and Matt Murphy. (Not really even sure about the horns besides Blue Lou Marini . . .)

2 hours ago, docc said:

I only recognize Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, and Matt Murphy. (Not really even sure about the horns besides Blue Lou Marini . . .)

Which was Booker T's MGs and Otis Reading's bands.    I pretty sure that ain't Booker.  

• Haha 1

Vinyl!

After many years of listening to CDs, and then to streaming, I am finally back to listening to lovely analog vinyl records! Yay!

How I went for so long away from this is a shame.

I recently scored a second hand system, cleaned it up and got it going. It’s a Technics SL-QD33 turntable through a Nakamichi SR-4A receiver, and a pair of Vienna Acoustics Mozart model loudspeakers. These speakers sound really good. The system is in the lower level of the house yet fills the whole house with sound. Everything sounds so much better. I was also able to acquire a nice collection of classical recordings, and am in the process of finding records. It’s really great to be able to listen again to some of the records that I grew up with:

EED73C79-DCD7-4319-9B73-61689B26E635.jpeg

10E342D9-7D59-49EE-82EC-C97364C360CA.jpeg

A81B3F40-998A-4252-8B31-36D95D809F9A.jpeg

5809DA60-EE2E-4CAD-A3AD-A01ED8664E13.jpeg

• Like 2

I got a new AV receiver, that has phono inputs.  The receiver has mic set up that does the balance and EQ and it's just marvelous.  I bought my front stereo speakers in '74 and supplemented them with a sub about 10 years ago.  It's never sounded better. 

Got the old Philips turntable out and have been enjoying vinyl for the last month.  Some of my jazz records never made it too CD and listening to them for the first time in 40 years.   Someone did load this one up to the 'net.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kane said:

Vinyl!

After many years of listening to CDs, and then to streaming, I am finally back to listening to lovely analog vinyl records! Yay!

How I went for so long away from this is a shame.

I recently scored a second hand system, cleaned it up and got it going. It’s a Technics SL-QD33 turntable through a Nakamichi SR-4A receiver, and a pair of Vienna Acoustics Mozart model loudspeakers. These speakers sound really good. The system is in the lower level of the house yet fills the whole house with sound. Everything sounds so much better. I was also able to aquire a nice collection of classical recordings, and am in the process of finding records. It’s really great to be able to listen again to some of the records that I grew up with:

EED73C79-DCD7-4319-9B73-61689B26E635.jpeg

10E342D9-7D59-49EE-82EC-C97364C360CA.jpeg

A81B3F40-998A-4252-8B31-36D95D809F9A.jpeg

5809DA60-EE2E-4CAD-A3AD-A01ED8664E13.jpeg

Nice!

dug out my old technics SL-7 turntable from storage about a year ago, to make it available again after some remodeling.  Linear tracking arm won’t track, so looked online to see what’s out there, and found quite the interesting, eclectic community of enthusiasts on a forum or two for these turntables (Vinyl engine is one of them).  Plenty of support for me to dive in and fix my unit, though per usual time is the issue… so there it still sits on my desk.

yesterday friends up for super bowl commented on how great the “surround sound” system I had was for the game, with all the music and action.  I just said “thanks”.  It’s not “surround”, and is just a stereo setup including a 40yr old Onkyo amp (that has been powered-on continuously now for 17+yrs), and a couple large Klipsch speakers (with down firing subs) that I bought, used, 35 yrs ago.  I just plugged in the satellite tv output sound to the “tape 2” input.

And have some Bose 501’s from 1981 connected to my other tv, though they’ve required a little TLC and maintenance along the way.

• Like 2

Yessir! I feel like I am rediscovering the joy of listening to music. After streaming for so long I’d forgotten the experience of the LP as a journey, the sequence of songs and the intermission between sets as one turns the record over. I am excited to build a collection of jazz vinyl, which I have none of but for one Mose Allison record. Really looking forward to listening to some Rudy Van Gelder recordings, finding some vintage Blue Note records, or vinyl reissues if such things exist.

• Like 1