What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

This is what Ky teenagers listened to in the 70s when you were partying !  

Trust me , this group was not housebroke .

p.s. this is dedicated to the member (V 11) I can't remember from Black Oak , Ark .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Chuck picked up an interesting band for that one

I saw him the first time in 1964 when I was 12, My mother worked in a Big Hotel in the midwest and told me he was  there  and playing across the street in a Big Dance Ballroom  which my Mothers friend owned. I found out thru my mom what room he was in and I camped outside the door for a couple hours in the afternoon until he came out and then I quietly rushed to ride down the elevator with him..he was  nice..and said "Hello youngster"..He had his guitar  case in one hand and a little Fender amp he was carrying in the other and was walking across the street to play..I tagged along my Mothers friend Daryl who owned the place, let me go backstage with him..and I just sat there in Awe until he went on..then I watched the whole show from back stage..the old amp he used was constantly shorting out and he would walk over give it a kick from time to time so it would play ..but he still sounded awesome to me...I had never heard music like that or seen a guy like that perform.

I saw him once more there in the  early 60's...

The thing is he was REALLY careful with his money,( cheap)  the venue's would have to supply his backup band ..sometimes they were simply Awful local kids and had never even heard his music...He would not play a note unless the promoter paid him in full in cash in advance.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, docc said:

Who's in the band?

Chuck played with pick up bands.  Local guys that knew enough of his stuff and how to follow him.  He was cheap and could be mean too.  He and Johnnie Johnson preformed and wrote together and they frenemies most of the time with a few lawsuits along the way.  He was cruel and punched Keith Richards who was producing his all star movie concert; Keith said it was no big deal since he worked with biggest diva of all time.

When Chuck was in prison, he spent time in the library and looked at a US Atlas, he wrote "Promised Land".  He was constantly in trouble for taxes and minor sex crimes.   He also built an integrated amusement park in Wentzville to give black folks a place of entertainment.   

People say the Rock and Roll was white guys playing black music but perhaps R&R was invented by Chuck Berry who was parodying white country music. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far as music trivia.  Back when I was in college and thought I could play drums, I met this guy Max Miller.  He was a retired jazz musician and he told some wild stories of road trips and the rest.  His stories made rock and roll stars almost seem tame.  He named dropped a bunch of famous jazz stars from the '30's & '40's.  The stories were totally believable but I confess I had never heard of him until I met him and to this day haven't heard his music. So while I was looking up Johnnie Johnson on Wiki, I decided to check on Max.

My goodness.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Miller_(jazz_musician)

• Like 2

When I first saw Chuck he was just staring over again, traveling the midwest in his car with just a guitar and Amp,

My lifelong good friend who is a few years older than me Tom Hankins ,a bass player, (who I still see and talk to often and who has a Blues Band in Los angeles now that I go down to see once and a while )was just starting a band up about that time, they backed up Chuck in our town on the spur of the moment one night when they were 17 years old ..they had never played a Chuck Berry song but jumped at the gig, ..they just faked it..Chuck was good to him and didn't complain. They went on to back him up 2-3 more times years later, My friend Tom later went on to open for The Animals, Cream, The dave Clark 5, The Everly Brothers, Little Richard, The Allman Brothers..and on and on .

He liked Chuck a lot...

• Like 3
On 7/5/2022 at 7:11 PM, LowRyter said:

Chuck played with pick up bands.  Local guys that knew enough of his stuff and how to follow him.  He was cheap and could be mean too.  He and Johnnie Johnson preformed and wrote together and they frenemies most of the time with a few lawsuits along the way.  He was cruel and punched Keith Richards who was producing his all star movie concert; Keith said it was no big deal since he worked with biggest diva of all time.

When Chuck was in prison, he spent time in the library and looked at a US Atlas, he wrote "Promised Land".  He was constantly in trouble for taxes and minor sex crimes.   He also built an integrated amusement park in Wentzville to give black folks a place of entertainment.   

People say the Rock and Roll was white guys playing black music but perhaps R&R was invented by Chuck Berry who was parodying white country music. 

A coffee colored Cadillac ! No wasted words and every word is "a word fitly spoken"

there is no musician that would not get up and offer Chuck his seat . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ScuRoo said:

It’s new - but classic Eric Clapton

’Pompous Fool’

I think it might have more to do Boris.  Not sure.  Just considering the course of events.  What I've heard sounded generic.