What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

• 2 weeks later...

If you like Jazz, big band  or Trumpet music..or music in general ..or if you think your getting older like me and want some motivation..this is an excellent biographical film about an amazing guy on PBS which I watched last night..I had no idea as to his level of commitment to his  art, or the lifelong  background and the depth of experience with other artists.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/stream-never-too-late-doc-severinsen-story-documentary/17495/

• Like 3

I'm much more a jazz fan than I used to be. I'll say 'classic' jazz fan, if that's a thing. Awhile back I watched a series titled Bosch, about a modern day LA detective. They developed the characters quite well for a US made series. Detective Bosch was a jazz fan and a vinyl fan. I loved the show but the soundtrack also got my attention, as well as the many jazz references throughout. He named his dog Coltrane.

Web searches of the soundtrack brought up a plethora of sweet players, many unknown to me, and rekindled my interest in both this era/style of jazz, and of vinyl. It has become my go to list for "new" artists.

I picked up several records of this guy first, just to get things (re)started.

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ooooh…..one of my favorite tenor players. Check out the recordings he made with amazing organist Shirley Scott. Then check out the recordings that Shirley Scott made with Stanley Turrentine!

• Like 1

All of this Jazz is so refined and hip and cool and gone. B)  I love it!  :sun:

Then I knocked a knuckle open getting mySport ready for the South'n SpineRaid:angry2: Perhaps, I uttered some new combinations of special appellations . . .

. . . what I meant to say was, You Got to Pay the Alligator !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alright, alright, I apologize about about the whimsy of that last one especially after such genuine, quality, and refined musical posts. :blush:

I probably posted this before, but on the eve of heading to the Seventeenth South'n SpineRaid,  and to acknowledge those SpineRaiders who have tried, but could not arrive, I am reminded of this ballad of The Last Chance Texaco. A place we have all been to. 

I still hear the forlorn whine of the trucks flying by . . .

IMG_8601.jpg

• Like 3