What [music] do you listen to? Share your favs

gonna post another one from this kid. He takes guitar past "talented"

..he has possibly visited the crossroads, and left with the fiddle of gold. He also does covers of Bach and other classic composers with his own arrangements. 

bear in mind that everything you hear in most of his videos, is coming from his guitar. Truly amazing. Here's a short one..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BUDDY GUY

I took my daughter to see him last night at the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach. All the "old folks" who were there early went to the tables with seats. So we walked right up to the stage and had an memorable "front-row" experience. Buddy even took my daughter's hand and had her strum his guitar in the middle of a song.

He is a phenomenal showman and story teller. 

If you don't know Buddy Guy and his influence, check out his wikipedia page. At age 86, he is a literal living legend.

So many potential songs to choose from... but here is one. The keyboard player and second guitar player in this video are still with him and played the gig last night.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Scud said:

BUDDY GUY

I took my daughter to see him last night at the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach. All the "old folks" who were there early went to the tables with seats. So we walked right up to the stage and had an memorable "front-row" experience. Buddy even took my daughter's hand and had her strum his guitar in the middle of a song.

He is a phenomenal showman and story teller. 

If you don't know Buddy Guy and his influence, check out his wikipedia page. At age 86, he is a literal living legend.

So many potential songs to choose from... but here is one. The keyboard player and second guitar player in this video are still with him and played the gig last night.

I used to slide in (sneak) to see Buddy, Howlin Wolf,  Little Walter, Muddy Waters  when I was 15-16 at a couple little clubs in Chicago.."Checkers",Alice's revisited"( My Home Town) Great music.   My Friend down in Vista went to See John Mayall at the "Belly Up" last week......That place has been there forever it seems, I remember going there to see Blues in the early 70's..an institution!  Sounds like you had a  memorable night!

• Like 2

I think young Jimi got a lot of influence from Buddy.

When I was in Chicago for a conference in the late '90's I went to his Legends blues club. Buddy was hanging at the bar, very low key but enjoying himself and putting off a good vibe. That was cool.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:

I used to slide in (sneak) to see Buddy, Howlin Wolf,  Little Walter, Muddy Waters  when I was 15-16 at a couple little clubs in Chicago.."Checkers",Alice's revisited"( My Home Town) Great music.   My Friend down in Vista went to See John Mayall at the "Belly Up" last week......That place has been there forever it seems, I remember going there to see Blues in the early 70's..an institution!  Sounds like you had a  memorable night!

Belly Up gets some amazing big-name shows, as well as a lot of local talent and fun tribute bands.

And we are gonna have to chat about those Chicago days... I love the Chicago Blues scene. Have you seen the movie Cadillac Records? It's about Chess records and does a pretty good job with the story - early emphasis on Muddy Waters. Beyonce plays Etta James... and wow.

• Like 2

I envy you for being there to see those blues greats back in their prime days. I really love the blues, from the southern roots to Chicago where it nurtured and matured. I can only imagine what great stuff was going down there in the day. The first wave of electric blues! :rasta:

• Like 2

Grand son Max, 19, is visiting on Spring break from Iowa State. He was looking at our ancient stereo stuff, and asked if it still worked. He has heard that vinyl is the best..

We had a flood many years ago, and literally hundreds of my LPs were involved. The bottom 2 inches are stuck to the sleeve, or have residue on them. :angry: He said he would try cleaning and see if it would do any good. It didn't.

However, I had a virgin vinyl Steely Dan that was in a plastic sleeve that was undamaged. Put it on the B&O, and he was enthralled. "It sounds like they are in the room. If you've never heard it, you won't understand.."

Probably created a monster..:rasta:

• Like 2

I recently upgraded my stereo as I've mentioned numerous times since October.  As a result, I was able to connect by old Philips turntable.   I've been going through vinyl, some of it not played in 35 years.  Other than a few pops and scratches inherent in the medium, the sound is awesome.  It's interesting to compare the same thing on CD, usb, Bluetooth (from my phone) and LP.  Actually with my new receiver, they all sound great.

I think I've played one CD in the last 3 months and only to check the connections.  I have a couple of dozen LPs on the deck that I've been playing and only 475 more to go.

• Like 1