Tidying up the Tail

Gottagetone

Love it, great job. Inspires me to get rid of my tail light.

I am on travel now and can't check my bike, but I could swear that I have separate instrument panel indicators for left and right.  I think the center indicator lights, starting from the top, are high beam, then oil pressure, then neutral, the low fuel.  The outer two on the top are green for the directional indicators.  Is this another crack induced fantasy?

Top center on mine is the blinker indicator...only one light indicating when the blinkers are flashing.  If yours is the same and you go with LEDs let me know and I will help.  If you have two blinker lights then you should be just fine.

And the NASA assistant is my son, he goes to NASA camp every summer in Alabama...much smarter than me when I was his age.  I do need to do a better job at teaching him, he was about to step down on the shift lever thinking it was the brake.... :homer:

+1 on the compliments on the tail. I believe your license plate is safe from all but endoscopic toll-road cameras.

While this topic is about the tail, I must say that also like what you've done with the bars. Nice new fluid tanks and mirrors.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, I followed your lead Scud with the tanks.  Ordered them on Ebay and I gotta say I cracked up when the brake reservoir arrived.  I think I paid $18 for it and it came in a Rizoma box and was labeled made in Italy with Rizoma on it.  Took the original mount and cut it down and painted it, baked it, then mounted it up and all good to go.  I do need to bleed the brake lines down so I have fresh fluid but for now its all good...no bubbles.  

I really like the bar end mirrors but one of them has a semi-loose ball socket so it won't stay put.  I tried using blue thread locker to put a coating on the ball but no dice.  Ive emailed the seller to see if he can make it right.

Well they look good from what I can see. However, I would be suspicious of an $18 Rizoma tank. Chamberlin had some trouble with an inexpensive, Chinese, Rizoma copycat product - not compatible with the brake fluid if I recall correctly. Hopefully you have received a quality part that will work well for you. But since we're talking about your front brakes, do keep an eye on it for a bit.

Brake bleeding is easy. Clutch bleeding is... well... um...  Let's just say you'll be getting a close look at your license plate again soon.  :grin:

The brake tank seems to be working well.  So far no leaks and no issues.  The listing didn't say Rizoma so I was kinda shocked when it arrived.  I will keep an eye on it, thanks for the info.  

I bled the rear brake and clutch last week...The clutch is a beotch!  Im going to guess the same engineer that made the rear drive shaft zerks so accessible set up the clutch bleed valve....

At some point, the instrument warning panel changed adding turn indicators for left and right and deleting the battery warning. I thought it was at the switch from Veglia to ITI, but if you guys have an '03 and an '04 that differ, the change occurred independently from the instrument change, perhaps only for 2004. :huh2:

Remember when you bleed the rear brake to remove the caliper and rotate the bleeder to the top side. Also, with the calipers off you can work the pistons in and out while cleaning with brake cleaner until all the pistons move equally, especially on the front!

• Like 1

At some point, the instrument warning panel changed adding turn indicators for left and right and deleting the battery warning. I thought it was at the switch from Veglia to ITI, but if you guys have an '03 and an '04 that differ, the change occurred independently from the instrument change, perhaps only for 2004. :huh2:

Remember when you bleed the rear brake to remove the caliper and rotate the bleeder to the top side. Also, with the calipers off you can work the pistons in and out while cleaning with brake cleaner until all the pistons move equally, especially on the front!

My 03 has independent lights for the blinkers--and ITI instruments.

Nice job on the lights!!

My 03 has independent lights for the blinkers--and ITI instruments.

Nice job on the lights!!

Thank you for reporting this.  I have an 04 and the ITI instruments (or rather did, until I replaced them with VDO)...

GottageTone,  could you post your source for the brake lights?

Sorry for changing the subject, but I'm curious about your gas tank: the bike is an '03 but it appears to have a chin pad... the other thing is it appears to have a carbon fiber look. It is truly carbon fiber or was it painted/wrapped that way? 

Yep, it has the pad and yes, it is painted to look like carbon fiber.  It was built in early 02 but the title says 03.  The paint job was done by the PO and whoever did it left the Moto Guzzi stickers under the new paint so you can see the outline and still read it.  

For a second my heart skipped a beat, thinking there might have been an oem Guzzi tank made of cf. One can only dream!