Guzzi 100 Year Anniversary Wishes

Scud

What will the 100th Anniversary models be?

Given that Moto Guzzi was founded on March 15, 1921, they've got a little more time.

As far as I know, only two other motorcycle manufacturers have made it for 100 years. Harley Davidson and Husqvarna. Both of them (like MG) have seen other owners/investors over the years and weathered financial insolvency.

The 100 year Husqvarnas came with a different set of stickers. The 100 year Harley Davidsons mostly used special chrome badges to distinguish the models.

What do you think Moto Guzzi will do for their centennial?

What do you hope they will do?

Feel free to speculate and wish for impossible things.

If you are the Genie of the Lamp, could you please make my RedFrame Sport a desirable, near-vintage Guzzi model that moves and motivates an entire generation to have Moto Guzzi part of their life?

(If you come through on this, I have two other wishes in the wings . . .) B)

• Like 1

If you are the Genie of the Lamp, could you please make my RedFrame Sport a desirable, near-vintage Guzzi model that moves and motivates an entire generation to have Moto Guzzi part of their life?

(If you come through on this, I have two other wishes in the wings . . .) B)

I'm not the genie and I have no insider information - just a curious observer. See Dr. Freud for wish-fulfillment - but I think you might already be an ambassador for the marque.

BMW is coming up on 100 years too - right after Moto Guzzi. But BMW can't claim "uninterrupted production" because they missed a few years following WWII.

I've had two BMWs, and currently have a Husqvarna and a Moto Guzzi, three of the four oldest remaining motorcycle manufacturers. It just seems to me that a 100 year anniversary should merit more than a set of stickers or chrome badges. A retro dirt bike doesn't make much sense (I mean a real dirt bike; Scramblers excepted), and a retro-styled Harley... (well really, how could you tell?)

It seems to me that Moto Guzzi (and BMW) could do better with their 100 year anniversaries than Harley and Husky did.

If you feel like doing a bunch of reading, here are the Wikipedia links to the four companies' histories:

Moto Guzzi

Husqvarna

BMW

Harley Davidson

• Like 1

That was a fantastic interview. A real glimpse into the history of the company, it's machines, the racing legacy, the town, and more. His stories about Omobono Tenni are incredible.

Carcano's suggestion for the diesel engine makes sense - as does his suggestion to go after the fleet markets with it. Those practical ideas appear (based on the interview) to have been shared with current Guzzi management.

For the consumer market, a real world-touring, diesel-powered, adventure machine would usher in the next 100 years, not simply recall the last 100 years. And imagine the torque... that'd be one stump-pullin' tractor. And the range... especially considering that it's safer to carry diesel than gas in auxiliary saddlebag tanks. Cape Town to Cairo anyone? On a fleet of diesel Stelvios?

For fanciful ideas - how about a brand new 1000cc V8 that recalls that shining moment from history, but ushers in a new performance standard? Maybe something with a bulbous, frame-mounted fairing and no passenger pegs? Perhaps in Tenni colors?

• Like 1

FWIW - 

The 75th Anniversary California featured different paint and a number badge 

http://www.motoguzzicalifornia.com/2010/03/california-anniversary/

The Centauro was a new model for 75th Anniversary

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/first-impression-1997-moto-guzzi-v10-centauro-18665.html

I do hope the Powers at Piaggio are as forward-looking as you are! This is just five or six model years away and motorcycle development in Mandello has never moved at a spectacular pace.

In fact, they better get right on this.

Right after an espresso; some consideration; a grappa; lively conversation; chianti and manicotti; let's sleep on it; repeat. :mg:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How about an electric LeMans?  Take a look at this electric Harley Davidson Livewire. What a huge lump of a motor with no frame underneath... remind you of anything?

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/07/harley-davidson-livewire-electric-motorcycle-50000-price/

Much as I applaud the design concept and look forward to a practical electric motorcycle someday, I have to ask:  "Harley - a $50,000 motorcycle and you can only afford one disc on the front? C'mon guys....... could you please make us an American sport bike?  Please?"

Czakky, you've already got the 6 th lemans.

My vote is a v14 series. Slot the 1400 motor into a tonti style frame , offer a basic v14 styled like the v7 specials , and a lemans with mk 1 styling? WITH DECENT SUSPENSION

• Like 1

I think it would be both excellent and forward thinking to give us a rugged all-road machine based on Ing. Carcano's suggestion for a three cylinder diesel.

Thanks for linking to that interview: that was a fabulous read! The translation to English was a little fractured at times: it took me awhile to figure out that when they referred to "carters" they meant the engine cases, but all part of the fun, truly! What a wonderful gift for the author, to have been given the opportunity to interview such a vital and delightful historical personage. Color me jealous! :)

As for what I'd like to see, I'm w/ Ing. Carcano: Guzzi desperately needs to do something new! If Piaggio wants to keep Guzzi as their "touring" line, then a compact diesel makes excellent sense. Regadless of whether diesel or petrol powered, it needs to be blown: Guzzi is no longer going to be getting involved in racing, so the post '39 ban on supercharging has no bearing on them anyway: motorcycles need to be fuel-efficient if nothing else or hybrid electric cars will eventually overwhelm them, so the route forward requires forced induction as a means of balancing power with fuel efficiency.

In the mean time, I'll just have to content myself w/ tooling along on Ing. Carcano's brainchild... :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Bucket list alert!

Meet me by the lake!  A pipe dream, perhaps, but I am praying hard that I have the health, wealth, and a few riding buddies to do Mandello del Lario come 2021.  Should be quite the bash, eh?

• Like 1

If I live that long I might be there.

I would hope Guzzi do something beyond trying to capture a tiny slice of the retro market.

A blown diesel, a blown small displacement, a V3, whatever. Just think outside the box, to me that is a core Guzzi trait. I don't care if it isn't a 90 degree v twin. I just don't want them to be a rebadged Aprilia or keep making the same bike over and over. How mmany ways can you make a retro Harley FFS.